585,931 active members*
4,016 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Gibbs user switching to Mastercam.

Gibbs user switching to Mastercam.

I have used GibbsCam exclusivley for the last 10 years. Great program. Unfortunately, my old shop has closed it's doors. In my search for a new position one thing has become obvious. Mastercam won the 'Cam' wars.
    Almost all the jobs I am finding available require Mastercam knowledge. I figure an online instruction course is my best bet. I wonder if anyone out there has gone that route and were you satisfied? What is the best course out there?

I've used Mike Mattera's CDs, and currently have a StreamingTeacher subscription, in addition to manuals and the docs that come with the software. They're all helpful, but I haven't found one system or course that covers everything sufficiently to stand on it's own.

Haven't run Gibbs, but I'd imagine that functionally the two would be pretty close in application. Different icons, different ways of developing a toolpath, but going from Gibbs to Mastercam is probably more like going from a Cessna 310 to a Aerostar 601P than a Stearman to a Gulf G200 (apologies to the analogy police if that's not even close).

The problem I'd anticipate is that a shop you go to work for might have ver9, or X4....so do you learn 9 and migrate up or start with X4? I dunno.

I'd like to hear some input on this too, since after 5 years, I'm still learnin'.

Same situation here....
    The company I currently work for uses Surfcam. I start working for a new company next week (current company closing doors as well so I feel your pain) and they use Mastercam.I purchased a training video from Caminstructor.com. It should be here Tuesday. I have read alot of posts about people going from any cam software to Mastercam and it seems the transition is not too bad. I will post my results with the Camintructor as soon as I receive it.

eapprentice.net

you guys should try
    eapprentice.net those guys got some pretty basic to 3d stuff videos
    and its cheap

$25/mo is cheaper than streamingteacher....I'm going to sign up for my free day and see what they've got, and post my impressions here. It'll be a few days..so don't hold your breath (like anyone would for me anyway )

One thing I do like is the free tips-and-tricks. That's a good way to entice you to sign up, and it gives you some feel for their approach. I like the simple screen-by-screen examples.

lucked out again...

Just landed a nice job in a shop as an inspector. It is a Mastercam shop.
    They are doing some really trick stuff with Mastercam there. Way beyond what I did in my old place with Gibbs. Great part of this job is that they actually have an in house MCam training program. Three nights a week, a prof from the engineering dept. of a local university comes in to the classroom set up at the shop and teaches the same Cad/Cam courses he teaches at the school. MasterCam for beginners and also an advanced, 3D class. Training is free and is open to any employee who is interested. The HR guy told me that 10 of 12 seats are being used in class, so I will be jumping into one of the remaining places. They also do the same thing with SolidWorks every couple of months.
    I don't mind inspection work as I have done quite a bit of it in the past but I really enjoy programming more. When I am up to speed with MCad, I will be able to move over to programming if I want. A perfect situation for me, or anyone really. I'll still try some at home training course to speed myself along. Can't believe how lucky I got.
    Thanks for the input on the various online stuff out there. I'll probably go with a subscription to the training program offered by MasterCam themselves.
    Forget what it is called.

Luckyjim sounds like a nice place.
    Great part of this job is that they actually have an in house MCam training program.
    One of the resions I was higherd at my company I am at was just for this resion to train them and be the Main apps guy. when any of them get stuck I can answer there issues.

I had never seen a company offer this in side before but looks as though this is not the only one.So I teach two nights at a local collage two days at work and one night at the home office.
    Just think one day I will know what I am doing. :-)

Oh I for got the one you are thinking of is Mastercam University

Here is a new email I got for this from my buddy at MC ED:

I just wanted to let you know that the New Home Learning Edition is now downloadable at Mastercam U.
    This version will let you save your Mastercam Files and replaces the old Demo version.
    It will not post code but it is has everything enabled to let you practice at Mastercam U.

You will find it in the Download section of Mastercam U (See the graphic below.)
    Just download and install.

Mike Freimann
    Mastercam Certification
    CNC Software, inc.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    I just wanted to let you know that the New Home Learning Edition is now downloadable at Mastercam U.
    This version will let you save your Mastercam Files and replaces the old Demo version.
    It will not post code but it is has everything enabled to let you practice at Mastercam U.

You will find it in the Download section of Mastercam U (See the graphic below.)
    Just download and install.

Mike Freimann
    Mastercam Certification
    CNC Software, inc.
    LOL, it's about time they did this. More improvements like these are always a good thing.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Luckyjim, that really does sound like a great place. I applaud your desire to learn. We could use a bit more of that dedication at my workplace. Some of the guys have been using Mastercam for over 10 years but are barely able to get through a job without somebody to hold their hand. Just don't care to learn I guess... When I got my chance I took the hasp home nearly every night and did whatever was necessary on my own time to gain the needed skills.