584,833 active members*
5,419 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Industrial shevling/racking support for table?

Industrial shevling/racking support for table?

now that I have my first cnc up and running, I have been
    planning on my second build. I like to use my cnc to make custom
    aluminum part ie gear box etc.

Looking to design 4x9 cutting area similar to the shopbot prsalpha 120
    http://www.shopbottools.com/prSstandard.htm
    but with U frame design with a adjustable table top surface... similar to the
    CNC Mill, Artisan for doing coloums ( frame design) http://legacywoodworking.com/products.cfm?product=304

Im thinking about using Industrial racking to lock into the U shape bed frame..

Anyone use the industrial shelving for a table support ?
    The the racking system will not be the cnc support or ridgid frame the U shape tube steel frame will do that.

I tried shelf supports.

Quote Originally Posted by eloid View Post
    Im thinking about using Industrial racking to lock into the U shape bed frame..

Anyone use the industrial shelving for a table support ?
    The the racking system will not be the cnc support or ridgid frame the U shape tube steel frame will do that.
    Yes I used black 5 inch (I think) shelf supports for my table to ensure the degrees were all perfect 90's and to make sure the table didn't shift.

These aren't industrial but they sure are solid. Can't bend em at all. To top it off they were about $3 at Home Depot.

This is shown in my build thread (see my signature), but I'll re attach a picture.

Edit: Well shoot. I don't know what U frame you are talking about or whatever, but I hope that helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0694 [50%].jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by amishx64 View Post
    Yes I used black 5 inch (I think) shelf supports for my table to ensure the degrees were all perfect 90's and to make sure the table didn't shift.

These aren't industrial but they sure are solid. Can't bend em at all. To top it off they were about $3 at Home Depot.

This is shown in my build thread (see my signature), but I'll re attach a picture.

Edit: Well shoot. I don't know what U frame you are talking about or whatever, but I hope that helps.
    For industrial shelfing/ racking im refering to heavy duty industrial pallet shelfing. ie home depot racks the cnc will weight serval hundred pounds
    if not well over 1000 pounds with the steel tube frame and mdf table top and gantry ( 4x9 feet cnc)

As for the u frame table look at the legacywoodworking link there frame
    is designed for larger woodworking pcs and a lathe along the y axis which require a drop bed or very long z axis..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails racking.jpg  

For industrial shelfing/ racking im refering to heavy duty industrial pallet shelfing. ie home depot racks the cnc will weight serval hundred pounds
    OH wow. Way off. Sorry about that.

no problem the racking is heavy duty stuff, but you still need a welded frame
    to prevent vibration and racking movment in the gantry and rails....
    Im was planing to use the racking system, only for the table taop ie to lower the bed table height

no problem the racking is heavy duty stuff, but you still need a welded frame
    to prevent vibration and racking movment in the gantry and rails....
    Im was planing to use the racking system, only for the table taop ie to lower the bed table height
    I did some googleing around for Industrial racking and for the price, I'd look into 80/20. You mentioned wielding, if that isn't a problem for you than why not just weld some steel tubes up? I just don't see the value in useing industrial shelving though. Now if you have a cheap source, please share, then that's a different story.

I was looking into the 8020 stuff as well. It seems perfect for what I want, but I can't find anywhere in the UK or europe that a similar product can be easily purchased. I've found many websites of companies that sell this type of thing but they all seem orientated more towards bulk buys. Anyone have any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by d_chappell View Post
    I was looking into the 8020 stuff as well. It seems perfect for what I want, but I can't find anywhere in the UK or europe that a similar product can be easily purchased. I've found many websites of companies that sell this type of thing but they all seem orientated more towards bulk buys. Anyone have any suggestions?
    I know I've seen builds where people have used an 80/20 alternative in Europe. You could try calling a local metal supply shop to see what they stock. Hopefully someone from the UK will pop in and point you in the right direction.

I looked at some warehouse shelf rails with this in mind. What I found is the rails aren't very straight.

John

Quote Originally Posted by FandZ View Post
    I did some googleing around for Industrial racking and for the price, I'd look into 80/20. You mentioned wielding, if that isn't a problem for you than why not just weld some steel tubes up? I just don't see the value in useing industrial shelving though. Now if you have a cheap source, please share, then that's a different story.
    The racking is cheap , second its light weight for table top, third it very easy adjustable/ removeable... ie the table top can be removed completely. If it was weld you would have only a fixed table height with no adjustablity to move or remove the table as required.... hotwire , plazma, drop table height for a large cnc lathe option.

let say i needed to drop my table 16" for my cnc lathe head stock option to cut (9 foot long 12 inch diameter columns?) for straight fluted, rope design, tapered square etc columns.. cant be done with a weld frame...

The neat thing about the perferated framing rails, they are all keyed to except light weight support rails... (and they cheap and strong)

oR let say i need to change over to my plamza cutter setup, And I need to raise the bed up 12" from this height... the table is fullly adjustable.

lets say i want to do some foam cutting ie hotwire and I want cut out 3d object out of 36" cube .... just remove the complete table, and have the entire center free and clear no obslicale... just sitting on the U shape frame members... the two Y driven axis need to support by a weld U shape frame to prevent vibration, movement / racking and side to side movement on such a big machine,,, and added stiffness to you machine. If you did not weld the super structure you machine would be out of square every time you remove the table ... your gantry would not be true and the drive system would bind because all of the above...

The idea is to think out side the box, leaving you with the options to machine, plazma, carve, make foam molds ie anything you need.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails foam lathe.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by johnmac View Post
    I looked at some warehouse shelf rails with this in mind. What I found is the rails aren't very straight.

John
    you need to get new and industrial .... stuff (thick wall) for heavy pallets.... never banged up, or make your own
    via plasma or lazer cut...

Quote Originally Posted by d_chappell View Post
    8020 is great stuff but it very expensive for large sizes 3x3 or 4x4 and long
    lengths ie 9 feet.. the only place i can see it very usefull is for linear guide way bearing it make aligning them a breaze.... for X y axis and the gantry