586,011 active members*
5,089 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

MHO Millright Restoration

I just picked up a used MHO Millright Series-18 mill. It has a Servo II CNC controller, two spindles, a Perske, and a High-Speed, Liquid Cooled Fisher Spindle, as well as a 4th-Axis, and a tool changer.

Now....begins the arduous task of getting it up and running again. Does anyone else out there have one of these? I could definitely use a source of advice.

Thanks,

-Ted

I thought I would post a reply to my own message for an update. Within a few months of getting the machine, I was able to get it up and running with the Perske spindle that was attached to the machine. With some help from Vectric, I was able to get a Post Processor for the Servo II going that could cut parts from Cut 2D and Cut 3D.

The machine came with an ATC, and a Fisher spindle with a pneumatic collet holder that could pick up tools and was compatible with it. I just installed the Fisher Spindle last week, and got the ATC up and running. I still need to write a library of G-code to control the ATC, and do all the positioning for the tool changes, and then integrate it all with the post processor. I have yet to attempt to cut out a part using Fisher spindle.

I will post a photo of the machine with all the stuff on it once I tie everything down and attempt to cut a part. There are lots of air-lines, liquid cooling lines, and control wires to keep out of the way of the gantry.

-Ted

Ted,

Wow, this brings back memories! I started working for MHO corp. a few years or so after your machine was made. Learned a lot working there....

When I started, MHO had already stopped using the Servo control. Funny thing tho, even now, I still repair machines with Servo controls on them. If you need parts for the control, Evrett Reeve of Servo Source is your man. His web site is http://servosource.com

Your machine was a fancy one, with two spindles and that dreaded "pick and place" toolchanger. My advise.... the Fisher spindle is nice, the toolchanger is not! Z repeatability is OK for drilling through holes, that's about it. And crashes with that toolchanger are pretty common.

Photos would be interesting, will definately bring back memories! If you have any problems or questions, I'll try to help or get you in touch with someone that can.

What are you planning on doing with the machine? Where are you located? I'm in Northern CA.

Best of luck,
    Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000ee-monarch View Post
    Ted,
    Photos would be interesting, will definately bring back memories! If you have any problems or questions, I'll try to help or get you in touch with someone that can.
    Better yet! I have video:
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge12axzowhE"]YouTube - MHOToolChange1.wmv[/nomedia]

I have the mill fully functional now. I have been using it to cut out lots of parts at this point. I have only had one tool changer crash so far. It is really easy to make a mistake.

I am in Sunnyvale, CA. If you are interested in coming by sometime to see the machine, send me a PM, and we can setup a time.

Thanks

-Ted

Re: MHO Millright Restoration

Quote Originally Posted by tedlarson View Post
    I just picked up a used MHO Millright Series-18 mill. It has a Servo II CNC controller, two spindles, a Perske, and a High-Speed, Liquid Cooled Fisher Spindle, as well as a 4th-Axis, and a tool changer.

Now....begins the arduous task of getting it up and running again. Does anyone else out there have one of these? I could definitely use a source of advice.

Thanks,

-Ted
    you still have this machine ? would like some info on how you repaired it . thanks!