585,951 active members*
3,822 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tool setting probe

Hey, I built me a tool setting probe, although I dont know how I will configure mach2 to use it.
    What I want it to do is have the tool jog down at like 10ipm untill it hits it, apply offset and height of the probe and rapid up to machine zero for tool change.

What I am planning on doing is hooking up the one wire to the input and go from the gnd on the input to the chassis so as soon as the end mill touches it will set it.

Now, how do I go about doing this?

Thanks,
    Jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tn_probe.JPG  

I found it, its OEM 146, I took a look at the screen editor and it fixed that for me.

-edit- the probe turned out to suck, Im going to redesign and make a new one, I must not have been thinking too hard when I designed this one, oh well. on to the next design.

Jon

Hi jon,

What sort of switch are you using in there?
    Regards,
    Mark

Im not using a switch at all, simply the contact of the tool to the peice switches it. Its spring loaded becuase the tool doesnt stop when it hits.

Ill be making another one sometime soon hopefully that will be a little more acurate.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JFettig
    Now, how do I go about doing this?

Thanks,
    Jon
    Jon I have the code to run the tool setter with floating tool offsets. If you like I can post it and you can modify it as you see fit.
    Brian

That could be nice, I dont have a working tool setter right now, that last one was a complete failure. I did get it to set the tool when it touched it but it would keep pushing it down untill I stopped jogging into it.
    sometime soon(hopefully) Ill be working on a new tool probe.

Jon

Jon,

Did you have a ground attached to the spindle to complete the circuit?

I see in the picture you attached that you have a wire connected to the tool setter, but it sounds like you are not completing the circuit.

I have a similar setup on my router. It is just a piece of 1/8" aluminum that I have connected to my break-out board input and then another wire attached to the router spindle for the ground. I have a "set tool" button in Mach 2 performs the tool setting function.

Tim

Its attached to ground inside the controll box, it does complete the circut, I didnt think about the design quite as hard as I shoudl have when I made it. it works minus the extreme lack of repeatability

Jon

Here is the code I did for a presetter

if IsSuchSignal (22) Then
    Fixture_Num = GetOEMDRO(46)
    Call SetOEMDRO (46, 202) 'Set to fixture number 202
    Code "G00 G53 Z00." 'Height to move into probe pos
    'Code "G53 X0. Y0." 'Move into Probe Pos ***EDIT HERE***
    Tool_Number = GetDRO(24)
    code "G91 g31 z-4. f10"
    While IsMoving()
    Wend
    If Tool_Number = 0 Then 'Master tool Cal
    z = GetOEMDRO(85) 'get Machine ZPos
    Call SetOEMDRO(49,z) 'Set fixture offset
    Else
    Call SetDRO(24,0) 'Turn off the tool offset by loading tool #0
    Height = GetDRO(2) 'Get the pos of the Z axis without the Tool comp on
    Call SetDRO(24,Tool_Number) 'Turn the tool Back on so the offset will go to the
    Call SetoemDRO(42,Height) 'Set the Tool Height offset
    End if
    Call SetOEMDRO(46,Fixture_Num) 'Set the Fixture back to what it was
    code "G91 G0 Z0.25"
    code "G90"
    While IsMoving()
    Wend
    end if

I hope that will help someone...

Any chance of a brief explanation on the code please Barker? Thanks!
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Aaron Moss of Industrial Hobbies has a nice probe on his site. He's missing the wiring diagram which had previously been on site. He has a nice explanation of setting tool heights under "automatic tool changer:.
    Paul

Paul, unless I misunderstand it, Jon was trying to get Mach2 to measure the offsets on the fly, without the use of a tool table. i don't see this anywhere on industrial hobbies web site, just the regular tool table offsets.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

no, that is incorrect kong, I use the tool table, I was just trying to make it easier to set my tools, simply change the tool and press a button and have it automatically set the offset

Jon

Ahh, ok! Would have been nice to have this tool-setter on the side of the table, and have mach2 run the tool over to it, touch off the new tool, then continue machining.

Kong, when you set up the tool table, if you have fixed tooling, you dont even need to go through that, its rather simple, just have it jog up, stop spindle and then you change the tool and hit a button for it to go and it starts cutting with the next tool.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Barker806
    Here is the code I did for a presetter

if IsSuchSignal (22) Then
    Fixture_Num = GetOEMDRO(46)
    Call SetOEMDRO (46, 202) 'Set to fixture number 202
    Code "G00 G53 Z00." 'Height to move into probe pos
    'Code "G53 X0. Y0." 'Move into Probe Pos ***EDIT HERE***
    Tool_Number = GetDRO(24)
    code "G91 g31 z-4. f10"
    While IsMoving()
    Wend
    If Tool_Number = 0 Then 'Master tool Cal
    z = GetOEMDRO(85) 'get Machine ZPos
    Call SetOEMDRO(49,z) 'Set fixture offset
    Else
    Call SetDRO(24,0) 'Turn off the tool offset by loading tool #0
    Height = GetDRO(2) 'Get the pos of the Z axis without the Tool comp on
    Call SetDRO(24,Tool_Number) 'Turn the tool Back on so the offset will go to the
    Call SetoemDRO(42,Height) 'Set the Tool Height offset
    End if
    Call SetOEMDRO(46,Fixture_Num) 'Set the Fixture back to what it was
    code "G91 G0 Z0.25"
    code "G90"
    While IsMoving()
    Wend
    end if

I hope that will help someone...
    I don't know what you would like me to tell you about the macro but i will Give it a shot...
    The macro looks to see that you have a probe (IsSuch...) Then calls up fixture offset 202 (This is where all the tools are set). IF tool = 0 then Set the Z Fixture offset on offset #202. after that is done return to the fixture offset that was active at the start.

Now if the tool is NOT =0 THEN Get the height and put that value into the DRO for the tool offset.

This is for a MASTER TOOL with all the offsets following that tool...

Clear as MUD???
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by kong
    Ahh, ok! Would have been nice to have this tool-setter on the side of the table, and have mach2 run the tool over to it, touch off the new tool, then continue machining.
    I thought you COULD do this. Brian?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Quote Originally Posted by ger21
    I thought you COULD do this. Brian?
    It can be done, but the macro is not going to be like the other one that I had put up. Is there some one that can test it??
    Brian

PS I would use the tool table BUT I can see where it would be better for a router to have it set the height everytime. There is no way you can get the same tool heigt in a router without some fancy tooling...

Quote Originally Posted by JFettig
    Kong, when you set up the tool table, if you have fixed tooling, you dont even need to go through that, its rather simple, just have it jog up, stop spindle and then you change the tool and hit a button for it to go and it starts cutting with the next tool.

Jon
    Jon, I use fixed tooling and understand how Mach2 does it using the tool table. The reason I would like to be able to determine lengths on the fly would be if I want to use a cutter which is not setup in the table. For instance a tool which I have not yet turned a fixed holder for. Hope you understand!