585,978 active members*
4,464 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Confused about magic smoke event..

Question Confused about magic smoke event..

I'm cross posting this from the Yahoo form since there were no new posts for 16hrs.

Last night we finished up the wiring on a 3 axis system based on the first rev
    G251's.

As per Mariss "---IMPORTANT APPLICATION NOTICE---"

Problem: Eliminating obnoixious hissing, sizzling and squealing sounds. The G251
    drives make unpleasant noises in multiple axis applications. This doesn't hurt
    the drives and they will not have positioning errors but the sounds are very
    annoying.

The G251 drive is not a chopper. It is a synchronously clocked pulse width
    modulated (PWM) drive. It is inherently silent by design, it should make no
    hissing, squealing, grunting or whistling sounds or any sounds at all.

Cause: The G251 drives are not optoisolated. Signal GND (term 12) from each
    drive must connect to the parallel port GND (pin 25) to complete the step and
    direction signal path. Each G251 drive's Signal GND has a slightly different
    voltage potential because of motor phase currents and wiring resistance back to
    the power supply.

This small but inevitable (<100mV) potential difference between drive grounds
    causes significant (>100mA) ground-loop currents to flow between the drives.
    This high frequency (20kHz) AC current is sufficient to disrupt the operation of
    the of the motor phase current regulators and make them audibly noisy. The
    drives are still perfectly accurate but now make annoying noises.

Cure: Install a 100 Ohm 1/4W resistor in series with each drive's Signal GND
    (term 12) to parallel port GND (pin 25) circuit connection. This completely
    cures the audible noise problem and renders the drives utterly silent while
    stopped or turning at slow speeds.

The 100 Ohm resistors are too small to have any effect on performance but are
    large enough to reduce ground-loop currents 1,000 to 10,000-fold (<<100uA). Such
    small currents are now completely unable to interfere with the normal, silent
    operation of the G251 drives.

(end quote)

The BOB in use was a PMinMO.com 4X072105a 4axis board. the 100 Ohm resisters
    were added to the signal ground line going to the G251 pin 12, the resistors
    were at the bob end of the wires. Enable (pin 11) was not used. So only Step,
    Dir and sig gnd were attached to the G251's.

The bob was feed +5v from a isolated power supply. Para port pin 1 was driving
    Aux1, pin 14 Aux2 and these were functioning properly.

When we fired up the Stepper power all was fine, and we had it on for about 90
    seconds before attempting a jog move. as soon as I tried to jog 1 axis all 3
    resistors on the signal ground lines smoked. Power was cut in 3 seconds. All
    damage was confined to the resistors, wires and board traces are good with no
    signs of heating.

So now I'm at a loss as to what to check next. the G251's appear fine, didn't
    get warm at all. The motors were attached and current set resistors were in
    place.

I'm turning this problem loose on the hive mind in hopes of finding a cure or
    workaround.

Thanks.

I was really hoping there would be a reply from Mariss on this as I'm at this very moment wiring up my controller employing G251's. I have the 'IMPORTANT APPLICATION NOTICE' stapled to my schematic and the 100 Ohm 1/4W resistors are on the way.

Since you cross posted was a reply and remedy made on the Yahoo Forum...???

Senna

It sounds like the ground wire from the power supply to the G251's terminal 1 was not connected.
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Arrow From the Yahoo forum - Re: Confused about magic smoke event..

Easy. You lost your GND connection from the power supply to the drives. You
    continued to have a GND connection to the BOB.

Power supply current Flowed from supply+, through the drive, out the SIG GND
    pin, through the 100 Ohm resistors, to BOB GND and back to the supply. The
    resistors then burned (1A thru 100 Ohms = 100W).

The path was supposed to be from supply+, through the drive, out the SUPPLY GND
    pins and back to the supply.

Mariss