585,902 active members*
5,073 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Exclamation Galil & Camsoft

Hello All !!
    I am new here to the forum and I must say its nice to see so many people
    interested in cnc all in one spot. I hope I am posting in the right forum.

I have a couple of things I would like to discuss and hopefully get some good info. First, I would like to ask if anyone has experience converting a cnc router which is currently running a Galil 1832 to CAMSOFT software?
    I have a 5' x 10' flatbed router which was built by a guy who wanted to put together a comprehensive system using the Galil cards and a proprietary PC based interface (anyone know Andy Bales?). The software is (was) actually very solid and does a good job of 2D but was never developed to a point where it would read G code. Hence the need to find a way to make the machine do what it is capable of (full 3D). The software is very unique in that it allows full real time control over things like start points, drill points, hogouts, part rotation all available right on the computer screen, it does not use a pendant. Unfortunately I had a hard drive crash and the new PC will not recognize the dongle and I am being forced to use a beta version of the program which did not use a dongle, but does not have all controls functional.
    The company is long out of business and I don't have the source code to continue development of the program as nice as it is, or could be.
    So...this leads me to find a solution and I was hoping to find some Camsoft users to let me know what to expect if I drop a bunch of cash to buy that program.
    Secondly, I have a Galil DMC-1040 card with a breakout card on it that I would like to sell. It had very little use when it was in service and I just don't need it. I would like to find it a home.
    Thanks in advance for all feedback on these issues.
    Roman

What are you asking for the DMC1040 or trade?
    Can you not find a older PC that will be compatible with the S/W?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Smile Galil card

Hi Al,
    The software was designed for windows 98. I have tried two different PCs and neither one will recognize the dongle. Aside from that though, the software does not read G code which I would like it to do for 3D applications.
    As far as the DMC 1040 I will accept offers since I don't really know its worth in todays market.

Thanks,
    Roman

Sounds like you have camsoft compatible hardware all installed and running. That's a big step. is all your I/O on a Galil ICM or do you have something else?

Getting a default steup running should go fairly quick for you. Impossible to say how much custom programming you need.

Karl

Galil card

Hey Karl,
    Yes, everything is 'all in one' as best I know. The machine had been running for several years flawlessly until the HD drive crash. Now it runs but I have lost e stop and it tends to get confused if I try to stop it mid routine. Then its restart the whole deal. I have to be 'dialed in' before running.
    Thats why I am trying to see who has used the Camsoft product and how well does it perform. I would like to try my hand at 3D work. The Camsoft program is NOT cheap but it may solve some frustrations if it works on my machine.
    Roman

I'm reading between the lines here...

Looks to me like you have little experience with refit of machines. Camsoft is not a good place to start. Too steep a learning curve. Somebody like myself could get you started in a day or two. But, I don't really like to travel unless I'm going that way anyway. many other foks could get you started.

You can learn it all yourself, and there's a real joy in saying "I did it myself". Just be forewarned it won't be easy.

Karl

Smile Galil card

Karl,
    Yes, this is the case. I bought the machine to help build signs and unfortunately just running the business here in Cali keeps me from having too many "hobbies." Only so many hours ya' know. Most are relegated to paying bills. lol.
    I was hoping that the switch over would be easy since 'a card' is a card and a pc is a pc. The guts of the router are all standard off the shelf stuff. Where does the complicated part come in? I ask this naively. It seems that most of the setup would be software oriented. No?
    I don't think I have a choice in programs btw, since I have the Galil card. I have learned that not too many machines speak Galil.
    Do you have other suggestions? Or do you need a vacation? Its nice a sunny here. LOL ! Or maybe you want to wait till January.
    Karl

Galil card

Also...

I was wondering if you had an idea how much the DMC1040 card I have is worth? I would like to sell as soon as possible.
    Thanks,
    Roman

Quote Originally Posted by RAP View Post
    I was hoping that the switch over would be easy since 'a card' is a card and a pc is a pc. The guts of the router are all standard off the shelf stuff. Where does the complicated part come in?
    The switch to a default camsoft setup *should* be easy. I've learned there is often a hidden gotcha. For example, Camsoft and most other machines expect the E-stop to be hardwired logic. Sounds like yours isn't.

A defualt camsoft setup will give three axis control and several gcodes. M codes will have to be programmed. The next gotcha is how much more custom programming you need.

Ask Camsoft about an installer, I don't do Cali.

Also...

I was wondering if you had an idea how much the DMC1040 card I have is worth? I would like to sell as soon as possible.
    Thanks,
    Roman
    Not to dishearten you but I have picked them up on ebay for as low as $50.00, there are a few listed right now, but they are asking unrealistic prices, and consequently, not selling.
    It was a great card in its day and is still capable of CNC control, it is just that it is ISA bus that restricts the applications.
    I am running them with DOS software.
    It may come as a surprise to many, that DOS/Galil is actually capable of a nice combination, and you do not need Windows to run a CNC machine :devious:.
    What is the firmware rev # on the eproms and you mentioned you have a I/O expansion?
    BTW, Mach has a Galil plug-in that works with the later cards.
    I mention Mach here because I combined your duplicate post from the motion card forum.
    It has always suprised me that there are not more people developing HMI for Galil!:violin:
    Al.

Albert E.

Galil card

Hi Al & Karl,
    The card (DMC-1040) has two eproms on it and they have stickers over them.
    One states DMC 1000 L REV 2.0d and one states DMC 1000 H REV 2.0d.
    And yes I have a breakout I/O card with it. If I could get a couple hundred bucks for them I would be a happy guy.

Regarding the Mach. Do you mean "later cards" meaning the one I currently have? DMC-1832.

That might be something I would like to see. Could I run them side by side? Then I don't have to stop using the visioncam software which really is brilliant for 2D & 2.5D. Its super easy with graphical interface on screen, but alas, no 3D.
    Thanks,
    Roman

Mach will run the DMC-1832. You have to use Galil's Version 7 drivers. It will install and run right beside any other software that talks to the Galil as long as the other software likes the V7 drivers.

Steve

john/vail machine

im installing camsoft on milltronics partner 7
    im having troble identifing where vcs and vcs return goes to and
    what they do. ill keep all up to date on how this goes
    do they relate to command/enable 10 v analoge?
    thankyou john hope im posting in the right place

Where are you getting the VCS from, I would suspect it is for Velocity Command Signal? If so it could well be the 10vdc analogue control voltage.
    Al.

Albert E.

did you get your software trouble work out

Hello All !!
    I am new here to the forum and I must say its nice to see so many people
    interested in cnc all in one spot. I hope I am posting in the right forum.

I have a couple of things I would like to discuss and hopefully get some good info. First, I would like to ask if anyone has experience converting a cnc router which is currently running a Galil 1832 to CAMSOFT software?
    I have a 5' x 10' flatbed router which was built by a guy who wanted to put together a comprehensive system using the Galil cards and a proprietary PC based interface (anyone know Andy Bales?). The software is (was) actually very solid and does a good job of 2D but was never developed to a point where it would read G code. Hence the need to find a way to make the machine do what it is capable of (full 3D). The software is very unique in that it allows full real time control over things like start points, drill points, hogouts, part rotation all available right on the computer screen, it does not use a pendant. Unfortunately I had a hard drive crash and the new PC will not recognize the dongle and I am being forced to use a beta version of the program which did not use a dongle, but does not have all controls functional.
    The company is long out of business and I don't have the source code to continue development of the program as nice as it is, or could be.
    So...this leads me to find a solution and I was hoping to find some Camsoft users to let me know what to expect if I drop a bunch of cash to buy that program.
    Secondly, I have a Galil DMC-1040 card with a breakout card on it that I would like to sell. It had very little use when it was in service and I just don't need it. I would like to find it a home.
    Thanks in advance for all feedback on these issues.
    Roman
    The company i work for is running 2 cnc with americam alias visioncam, andy bales special. No trouble yet on software but it just a matter of time . Just wondering what you software you went with. Just cant cut 3d, and window 98dont cut it as you know. Too bad andy cant update his software
    thank