585,729 active members*
4,700 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Powering a U.S. Taig/Gecko 540 in AUS.
Page 1 of 2 12

Powering a U.S. Taig/Gecko 540 in AUS.

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a Deepgroove Taig/Gecko 540 CNC mill from the US. I just wanted to get some recommendations on what I need to properly power the mill and the controller. Australia has 240V/50Hz power outlets compared to the 120V/60Hz power outlets in USA. I've been told I needed to get a 500Watt invertor, but could anyone give some more detailed information on what I might need before I go to my local electronics store?

Quote Originally Posted by dre101 View Post
    Hi guys,

I recently purchased a Deepgroove Taig/Gecko 540 CNC mill from the US. I just wanted to get some recommendations on what I need to properly power the mill and the controller. Australia has 240V/50Hz power outlets compared to the 120V/60Hz power outlets in USA. I've been told I needed to get a 500Watt invertor, but could anyone give some more detailed information on what I might need before I go to my local electronics store?
    You could do it with an inverter. You could also use a step-down transformer:

http://cgi.ebay.com/500-W-Watt-Step-...d=p3286.c0.m14

Regards,
    Ray L.

Importing Taig CNC mill to Australia from the US

I was about to ask a similar question myself. Since many of the CNC controllers have a power supply that will accommodate 240v would it be better just run the spindle motor or the whole setup on 120v? Even the Deepgroove1 website states "power supply dual 120/240 input". I can’t find much info but as far as I can tell the 1/4 HP spindle motor on the Taig mill runs on 120v only. If that is the only thing that requires 120v would it be better to change the motor? Or would you run into other problems?

Dre101,

Look at the capacitor cover on the spindle motor, it should have a sticker with a wiring diagram.

It may be a 120-240 volt motor, if it is you wont need a power inverter.

If the power supply for the Gecko is a Meanwell brand most of them will auto switch from either 120 or 240 volts, it will be labeled 120-240.

It only takes a few minutes to open the electronic control cabinet and take a peek inside.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Yeah, if it says 110 - 240, just change the connector.

Did the same with a laptop!!!!
    works great.

Unhappy

Dre101,

I just spoke to Taig and unfortunately the spindle motor is only 120 volt compatible there is no provision for 240 volts.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

They suggested purchasing a 240 volt motor.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

If the motor is replaced with a 120v model, what about the rest of the CNC controls/drives?
    At 500w, I would have thought a 240/120v transformer would be the best.
    Inverters are lighter, but if they go wrong can be expensive, usually the weight does not matter in a non-portable application like this.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Dre101,

I would also use a stepdown transformer as Al The Man suggested.

Inverters are noisy and not as reliable as a transformer.

Jeff...

Thanks for all the info. I would be interested to know what motors some Australian Taig users are using for a spindle motor and can anyone recommend something.

Check out DSE and Jaycar for a local source of 240/110 stepdown transformers.
    Regards
    Geoff

Funny that someone would ship you a machine all the way to Oz without bothering to inform you that the motor would not work. Did you contact your supplier?
    Jeff Birt

i don't know about converting mains voltages
    but i suggest lookingh into buying a dc motor and powering it with a post-width-modulating driver. which you should be able to control through the g540 via a small card from homanndesigns.com.au

after thats done you can buy the stepper powersupply. a 500watt(va) steppdown transformer from altronics.com.au along with a large capacitor and bridgerectifier.
    and research a few powersupply designs. but really all that is required is a full-wave rectified circuit. some thing every one should know. don't get carried away and attempt a regulated power supply, it is not needed.

forgot to mention that for a 500 watt transformer you are looking at a torroidial type they are big and heavy abnd are stocked at altronics but you could keep your self from harm by buying it from keling pre-built. and i think they stock much higher rating supplies for a better price.

and just if you don't know transformers are specified with true 'RMS' voltage
    which is only 0.707 times the peak voltage so don't buy the 48v transformer and think its 48volt you'll need the 34v one.

Thanks for the replies,

I've checked out the controller box, it appears to take our local power supply.

All I need the transformer for is the spindle motor. I bought this today at Jaycar (http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...r&form=KEYWORD), though I'm not entirely sure it will be sufficient. Being a 1/4HP motor, I assumed 250watts would be alright- though I'm not quite sure about the amperage; not all that familiar with electricity, but the transformer has a 2amp breaker- not sure what the motor requires though. Any ideas if it will be ok?

Stall current on a 1/4 motor will be about 7.5 amps give or take at 120 volts.

Jeff

I think you still might have a problem with the frequency

Taig's Bluffton motors are made to run at 60hz; Australian (and European) current comes in at 50hz. It seems that this causes these motors to perform less than optimally. A better solution I've been suggesting to my Australian customers is to fit the Taig with the Sherline DC motor and speed control instead. It's more expensive, but it runs on 240v (with a simple plug adapter), it's lighter while delivering at least as much power, and of course you get variable speed by twisting a dial. The Taig motor plate needs to be re-drilled for the different bolt circle, and a bushing has to be made to adapt the Sherline motor shaft to the Taig pulley, but that's not a really big deal.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Hi guys,

For anyone on a similar endeavour to mine, everyone I have talked to has recommended at least a 500 watt step-down transformer. This has been advised to me by both Taig U.S. and Taig Australia. A 500 watt transformer is more than enough, as I have got the specifications of the Bluffton Motor from the manufacturer themselves. The motor runs 304 watts and draws 3.7 amps at full load.

Mate,

I've been running a Taig in Sydney for about 5 years. It was supplied with a small Dayton AC motor which overheated a lot. I had it replaced under warranty and the new one is OK. I also purchased a Sherline DC setup which is excellent and only needs the plug changed to work on local volts and hertz. It has better torque at low revs, I find this handy for the titanium I often find myself machining. The adjustable speed is great. However I prefer the lower noise level from the Dayton if I have to be around the machine a lot. I would prefer the 1/4hp motor (thought I was getting it when I bought the machine) but it is 120v only. In your situation I think I would be looking for a transformer rather than a new motor just to keep the stronger motor.

The rest of my setup is standard Taig. I have two friends just starting on Taigs, one has just taken delivery of a CNC ready carcass with a Sherline motor.

regs

Chris

Page 1 of 2 12