585,877 active members*
3,273 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Just getting started

Dear Brothers:

Please be patient with my questions. To get my feet wet, I just purchased a Fireball V90 CNC to replicate parts for my airplanes. My objective is to start out in 2 dimensions (plans to balsa)

I am running Microsoft XP and my readings suggest that I am obligated to run Mach3 software. True or False?

Thank you in advance

Mofo

mofo,
    You must run software, but mach3 is one of several choices. It's a good choice, that's for sure. Price and performance, it probably the best. You will need other software too.

I use Mach3 and I use Vectric's VcarvePro. These two software products are a MUST for me. I use them both, I use them every time I turn on the CNC machine.

Both software have their own Users Forums to help with the technology, and to inspire the designer.

Join them both for free, you don't have to own their software either.
    http://www.vectric.com/forum/index.php (Vectric's VcarvePro Forum) CAM
    http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php (Mach3 Forum) Control.

Hope this helps. Good luck cutting model airplane parts. A couple years ago, I cut some balsa ribs. Go here to find the thread. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...lsa#post319428.

Dave

Dave:
    I appreciate your response to my inquiries. Please be advised that I don't know squat about CNC and thinking.... What did I get myself into now? Like I don't currently have enough irons in the fire. But this is my nature and damn the torpedos.

I have decided to go with the ArtSoft Mach3 software and have immersed myself in the online tutorials. All seems straight foreward .... Questions will follow. Thank you for responding.

Regards,

Jerry

I am also a Mach 3 user but another good option is the Deskcnc driver board and software. It is a Machine controller like Mach3 but it has an integrated cam program.
    I have the Deskcnc on my router and use the cam portion to write g-code for my Mach3 driven mill.

Next stop, Onecnc xr3 for their high end cam functions. Need to sell a few extra machines and stuff.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

ONECNC XR3

I also make some tools and items for the RC Hobbyists.

I use the ONECNC XR3 Mill Advantage package and love it.

They have some pretty good discounts going on right now if you are interested.

John

Quote Originally Posted by HelicopterJohn View Post
    I also make some tools and items for the RC Hobbyists.

I use the ONECNC XR3 Mill Advantage package and love it.

They have some pretty good discounts going on right now if you are interested.

John
    John, there are tons of discounts going on right now. AKA "Depression of 2009"
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Thanks to all for the advice. Being that I am on my starter CNC machine....Until I become more familiar with machines, software I prefer not to invest in software and machines that are way over my head.

Anybody..... Would Mach3 and Vectric be a good combination?

Thanks in advance

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by mofosheee View Post
    Thanks to all for the advice. Being that I am on my starter CNC machine....Until I become more familiar with machines, software I prefer not to invest in software and machines that are way over my head.

Anybody..... Would Mach3 and Vectric be a good combination?

Thanks in advance

Jerry
    Hi Jerry, Mach 3 is a great program that you can grow with and I hear good things about Vetric so I would say yes ,if Vetric suits your needs.
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.