585,902 active members*
4,386 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Legacy Lasers??

I have been looking into getting a laser cutter and found a place called legacy lasers. www.legacylasers.com

I am looking at this one; http://www.legacylasers.com/1200_Ser..._Engraver.html planning on 120 watt.

They are close to home but was wondering if anyone has any experience with these lasers and the companys after sale service and support.

The laser would be used mostly to make RC aircraft kits both foam and balsa/lite ply. It also would be used for things like making name tags and custom signs.

Any info??
    Necessity is the mother of all invention (unknown)
    My club home page www.lhmac.org

Quote Originally Posted by rcpilot82 View Post
    I have been looking into getting a laser cutter and found a place called legacy lasers. www.legacylasers.com

I am looking at this one; http://www.legacylasers.com/1200_Ser..._Engraver.html planning on 120 watt.

They are close to home but was wondering if anyone has any experience with these lasers and the companys after sale service and support.

The laser would be used mostly to make RC aircraft kits both foam and balsa/lite ply. It also would be used for things like making name tags and custom signs.

Any info??
    I've heard that Dean, the owner, is a stand up guy. And I think those are Rabbit lasers, which are a good brand. He's also a fellow PA guy too!

If all you want to do is cut foam, balsa, and light ply, you could save yourself a couple grand by getting the 80w. That's what mine is and it has plenty of power. The tubes and power supplies are cheaper too if you need replacements. For fine engraving make sure you get a 50mm lens (or 54mm, whatever they are called). I'm really impressed with the fine engraving detail I can get, and the kerf is narrower for cutting than with a 100mm lens.

Go for it! You will wonder how you ever got along without it, and the local parts and support is a bonus too.

Hope that helps,
    Skip

Thanks for the info!! Yeah the Local parts support is a big plus for me.

Dean from Legacy Lasers is excellent to work with! He was there at every step of the way for my 1200 Series that arrived last week. Almost always calling me to make sure all is ok. His support is unbelieveable too. Taking phone calls and answering my questions 7 days a week (newbie on these laser engraver/cutters).

Here's a link of my new 1200 Series w/Photos!

http://www.legacylasers.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6

You can't go wrong with this company...good luck!

Kirk

Thanks for the input guys! have any of you tried to dut Depron foam with your lasers? I am wondering if it would melt the edges, make them round not square, or not? I have been in contact with Dean, and his responce time is very fast! I plan to make a purchase in the next 6-12 months. This will be my first laser.

Thanks for the input guys! have any of you tried to dut Depron foam with your lasers? I am wondering if it would melt the edges, make them round not square, or not? I have been in contact with Dean, and his responce time is very fast! I plan to make a purchase in the next 6-12 months. This will be my first laser.
    rcpilot82,

I'm not sure what Depron foam is but I have cut the material called Fun Foam that you can get in craft stores. It was about 1/8" thick. It cut great with nice edges. I had to use low power and a fast speed, and air assist. I cut about 4 or 5 different colors and some colors darkened the edge, some didn't.

Maybe someone else can post their experiences with laser cutting Depron.

Skip

Quote Originally Posted by Gone Cruising View Post
    Dean from Legacy Lasers is excellent to work with! He was there at every step of the way for my 1200 Series that arrived last week. Almost always calling me to make sure all is ok. His support is unbelieveable too. Taking phone calls and answering my questions 7 days a week (newbie on these laser engraver/cutters).

Here's a link of my new 1200 Series w/Photos!

http://www.legacylasers.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6

You can't go wrong with this company...good luck!

Kirk
    Hi Kirk,

Thanks for the info and the link to the pics. That's a cute first pic of Mrs. Kirk. I can almost hear an announcer in the background saying, " And behind door number 3 we have your very own, super exciting, brand new, Legacy Laser engraving and cutting machine!" -thunderous applause-

Be sure to post some pics of your future projects.

Skip

Thanks Skip!

I think she's (the wife) saying " ok, honey, now you need to make some money to pay for this thing"....LOL!!!

I'll mainly be using the laser for cutting and engraving on acrylic up to 1/4" thick. My main projects are custom PC cases catered to the enthusiast aftermarket segment. Large cases that can hold liquid cooling loops, multiple radiators...etc.

There will be other things once I get going too

Just waiting to cut a hole through the wall for the exhaust and find somewhere to ground the machine...then ready, set, go!

Thanks Skip!

Just waiting to cut a hole through the wall for the exhaust and find somewhere to ground the machine...then ready, set, go!
    LOL, I just replaced my old windows with glass block windows. I made sure I put vents in all of them so I can plumb in an exhaust later! will

Thanks Skip!

LOL, I just replaced my old windows with glass block windows. I made sure I put vents in all of them so I can plumb in an exhaust later! will you be using 220vac or 110 and the converter? what type of chiller did you get?

Depron foam

Will,

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmBQZBZ-yj8"]YouTube - Laser cutting 6mm Depron foam[/ame] Here is a youtube video of an 80w laser cutting 6mm depron. That's close to 1/4" I believe. I'm not sure why they are going so slow, and the one cut looks like it makes 2 passes? Maybe they do like I do, use the least power you can to save on the tube, even if it takes longer.

Someone told me that depron was the same stuff used in meat trays at the grocery store, so at least I know what you are talking about now. lol I don't build RC models, but I do eat meat occasionally.

Skip

Well, after three weddings and a week long cruise I finally got around to firing up the laser!!!!:banana:

Everything went perfectly!!! I did have to calibrate the mirrors for about an hour, but after that it cut and engraved nicely!!!

I tested it out using 1/8" (3mm) acrylic sheet and cut circles and rectangles. I couldn't be more happier! Especially with the support from Legacy Lasers and Dean.

Time to start my projects!!!!

http://legacylasers.com/Forum1/index.php/topic,6.0.html

Glad to see your up and running! how do you calibrate the mirrors? Is this a normal setup procedure or maitenence task? The more time I spend in my workshop, the more uses I find for a laser. I am starting the information gathering stage to design a 50% scale RC Monocoupe airplane and this laser would be awsome for cutting out all the parts. It will take me about a year to finish the design process and cut the first kit. If all goes well, I may have to add it to my list of kits to sell.

Actually I should have said "aligning the mirrors". The laser beam exits out of the tube and reflects off of the first mirror, then to a second and then to a third which directs it to the lens.

On my machine the mirrors I believe are 50mm in diameter. I taped a round piece of cardboard in front of each mirror, hit the laser button which sends a laser pulse to see where it hit's the first mirror, leaving a small burn spot. If not at the center you make small adjustments to the mirror. After the first one is aligned and the beam hits center you remove the cardboard or chip cover and see where it hit's the second mirror...then the third.

It's an easy process...just time consuming to get it right the first time.

Good luck on your quest for a laser. It should come in quite handy for what your doing!

Kirk

Hey, I just checked out the legacy lasers site and see a new line of lasers on the bottom of the products page! looks like they got a 2 year limited warranty, and new paint job. anyone know more about this series. looks like the 1100 series would work for me also. Anyone know the differences between the 1200 and 1100 series?

Looks like it's just a newer updated version, but with a longer warranty. Call or e-mail Dean, he will be glad to help answer all your questions.

Thanks!, Belive it or not I had a PM from Dean shortly after posting explaining the details. Dean, you get a thumbs up in my book.
    Kirk, please keep posting your projects here. I am curious to see this laser in action.

How about an update on the Lasers!! Also, Does anyone have the shipping crate measurements or know if it would fit in an 8ft bed with a tall cap, or is a trailer needed?