585,733 active members*
4,786 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > Hurco won't boot up

Angry Hurco won't boot up

Still working with KM3, Max 32 that won't boot. I don't get checking diagnosis first like I used to. Nothing on text screen but a flashing courser. When I turn it on the floppy drive light will come on twice looking for information. I have a boot disk, but it doesn't see it. Thought maybe someone would know what to look for next. I have booted it up before.
    Dave

Sounds like you may have a problem with the CRT controller under the keyboard.

Hurco won't boot up

There is a jumper on the crt board that you remove. Turn it on and the keyboard will show random number & letters on the text screen. That check is ok. I even tried a windows 98 boot disk. It didn't try to read it.
    Dave

Because the Max32 display is a serial system with the signals coming from the Personality card, it needs to see a file called INT10 on the floppy. This directs the video through the personality card. Your windows disk won't have this file on there. Will it load up the Ultimax disk 1?

Hurco won't boot up

When I use the Hurco disk, It does not see it. The floppy flashes like it does when it looking for information.
    Dave

You should have a couple of disks marked something like: Executive disk v1.64 1 of 2 and 2 of 2. If so, will it boot from disk 1?

Hurco won't boot up

The only disk that I have is a disk that someone e-mailed from hurco.
    It is only one disk.
    Dave

Hi, Dave and Bloke

I have an Ultimax 3 with a Max3 multibus and mine will not boot either so I am going to follow along with you guys, (if that is OK) Mine acts a little different than Dave's, it will start to boot up and then just quit, but never in the same place, sometimes while counting memory and sometimes later in the boot process or sometimes it will complete the boot process and quit in the calibrate process or later in the warmup --- never in the same process --- I am thinking bad or dirty board contacts, or pin contacts, is there a process or cleaning solution that is safe to use in the contact points?

Thanks, Sam

That sounds more like memory. Try swapping the SIMMs around.

hurco

Make sure you have at least 5VDC at the control (check it in the pendant). I just did a retrofit with the hurco guy here, had boot problems as well. Cranked up the new power supply to 5.1 and all was as good as a Hurco could be.

Quote Originally Posted by bloke View Post
    That sounds more like memory. Try swapping the SIMMs around.
    Thanks Bloke, I did that with no change, I was thinking of getting new SIMMs I think they are 1meg per pair is that correct for a total of 4 megs? will it take more?

Underthetire, I already have 5.4 vdc is that too much?

Thanks Guys, Sam

Back to my problem! Is there any info on how to check out a Hurco KM3 to find out witch board has a problem?

Do you have a keyboard to plug into the CPU?

Exclamation Hurco won't boot up

No. Is the cable something that I could fabricate?
    Do you have any info on connections. What would I do
    with a keyboard? Could I get into the bious setup. Could
    I view it on the text crt?
    Thanks again for your help.
    Dave

You'd need a keyboard connected to re-load the software and/or manipulate files on the hard drive. Do you have an e-mail address?

Smile Hurco won't boot up

Yes i have an e-mail address.
    k9dvl @ comcast.net

Lightbulb Hurco won't boot up

Is there anybody that has a Schematic of the PC board, Max 32.
    Dave

When a Hurco Max 32 upgrade was done, Was it changing out the CPU board only? Is the personally board the same as Unimax ll? If i can't fix this KM3, I will half to retrofit it. Hobby CNC can't afford to replace boards at Ebay prices. Can't find any board info.
    Dave

When the control is upgraded, there are some wiring changes in the console to allow for video through the pesonality card, a different EPROM in the CRT controller, an accelerator chip in the personality card, track modifications to the personality and dual axis cards and the CPU install. Other changes were to harnesses for the RS232, parallel port, A hard disk and snooper card and the floppy drive.