585,880 active members*
7,463 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > I want that mirror finish

I want that mirror finish

Ive been face milling this block of aluminum all day trying to get a mirrored finish and im not making progress. Im working on our manifolds and the ones we used to buy had a nice, smooth, mirrored finish and i cant make it happen. right now im using a 2 in. 3 flute indexible face mill and have run anywhere from 1500 rpm to 5000 rpm along with different feed rates and no luck. Are there special face mills for aluminum? where can i find them?

Quote Originally Posted by CORBIN92087 View Post
    Ive been face milling this block of aluminum all day trying to get a mirrored finish and im not making progress. Im working on our manifolds and the ones we used to buy had a nice, smooth, mirrored finish and i cant make it happen. right now im using a 2 in. 3 flute indexible face mill and have run anywhere from 1500 rpm to 5000 rpm along with different feed rates and no luck. Are there special face mills for aluminum? where can i find them?
    Use Polished Inserts (I Like Cermit) with a .03 Radius.

Feeds and Speeds will vary depending on the set-up and machine rigidity
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

PCD (PolyCrystalline Diamond) and very high speed is the best assurance of results. It is NOT cheap to tool up, but it is something you only buy once and never look back.

I have a friend who bought one of these in a 3" 6-insert version. He went from running a 3-insert carbide face mill at 45 inches per minute to running this one at 225 inches per minute. The surface finish went from a 24~32 Ra range to 4~6Ra. With a wiper insert, he could be getting a 2!

http://valenite.com/internet/4558/In.../vflashcat.pdf

PixMan mentioned the magic word, WIPER. It will actually burnish the surface.

Dick Z
    DZASTR