585,589 active members*
3,117 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

Thermal dynamics or Hypertherm?

Hey guys, I just ordered a new Plasmaroute CNC ZR4800 machine. I ordered it with the Theramal Dynamics A80 plasma machine. I will be cutting mostly 1/8" and 1/4" steel, but occasionally I will cut 1/2" stuff. Did I make the right choice on the plasma machine? It seems most people on here use Hypertherm. I have a Hypertherm machine now that I use for my hand work in the shop and I have been very happy with it. But, when I spoke with several different companys about buying the cnc plasma table, everyone told me to go with the Thermal Dynamics machine. Is it just because they make more money on them or what? If anyone with a Thermal Dynamics machine could post some pics of their work and experience, I would greatly appreciate it. I build race cars mostly, but also do alot of lowriders and street rods. My machine is supposed to be ready around the first of October, but if I need to make a change on my order, I would like to figure it out as soon as possible.

Thanks for any input. This site has been very helpful for a cnc newbie.

Hypertherm. Have you seen both units in person? If not, stop by your local welding shop and ask around. Not to mention the Hypertherm fine cut consumables are great. Or you can go with the new Powermax 45 for less than you probably spent on the Thermal Dynamics...

Yes the Hypertherm is cheaper. Yes I have seen both of them. It seems that the people selling them always recommend the Thermal Dynamics machine. I like the fine cut consumables idea on the Hypertherm machine. But, I was told I didn't need them for the TD machine. Have I been mislead by salesman?

thanks

if i i was you ill go wtih hypertherm jim colt is on this site to support users and thier tech support is awesome.. quality and price is good on hypertherm..

i have powermax and am considering getting 45 model soon for my cnc machine..

Cheers
    Dan

i dont have any first hand experiance with TD I guess there pretty good but I have a Hypertherm 1250 and love it

I have made this post numerous times and I'll do it again for you sir. I complement you on your research.

Buy Hypertherm. Unless something has recently changed, Hypertherms business is exclusively plasma. Their customer service is first class. We have J.Colt's advise too.

I have a 1650 that has been run very hard for 5+ years. Anytime I have a question they are as near as the phone. David Taylor, the area rep has dropped by my shop!

I'd love to hear why dealers are pushing TA? In todays economy, $$$ gets peoples attention. Maybe there is more profit is selling Thermal Arc over Hypertherm?

Good luck!

Tom Pace

The Hypertherm units are not always the least expensive to buy.....but they are the least exppensive to operate. Longer consumable life, better cut quality and better reliability.......as well as the fact that the entire system is built in Hanover , NH, USA.....by employees that also own the company!

I may be a little biased...but I'll stand behind the above statements!

Jim Colt Hypertherm

S Griffen,
    As Jim states that the machine is built in Hanover. Should also be mentioned that it is assembled by hand with American parts. I had the hood up on mine to hook up some wires and was impressed with the detail. The machine is "hand" made not robot or machine made. You can see the bend lines on the internal sheet metal parts, the zip ties carefully placed, an extra cord grip is nicely tucked away inside as well. An American piece of equipment all the way through.

WSS
    www.metaltechus.com

Thanks to all. I am going to change that order over to a Hypertherm machine.

One more question now, Which one? Do I go with the 45 or 1250?

I've been using a TD for a couple years now and Im very happy with it. The quality of the unit is very good overall, the price was reasonable too. I have not had any experience with the hypertherm units but im sure they are great, especially if they are built in the USA. Alot of people on this site are using hypertherm so you may have a lopsided poll of opinions. Its like saying do you like the yankees or red sox but you asked the question in NY. Im sure both units will get the job done in the end. Also I have had some bad customer service with TD a couple of times, just lack of knowledge on my questions....

Quote Originally Posted by S Griffin View Post
    Thanks to all. I am going to change that order over to a Hypertherm machine.

One more question now, Which one? Do I go with the 45 or 1250?
    Thats gona be up to your requirements, and that is basically the entry level system with new technology and the top end of the single phase machines but I'm sure Jim can help you out better with your choice.

It sounds as though the Hypertherm Powermax45 will meet your needs.....assuming that the 1/2" material is "occasional" cutting.

The Hypertherm lineup is: Powermax45, 45 Amps, 3/8" recommended pierce.....Powermax1000, 60 Amps, 1/2" recomended pierce....Powermax1250, 80 Amps, 5/8" recomended pierce....Powermax1650, 100 Amps (3 phase power only), 3/4" recomended pierce.

I own both the Powermax1000 and the Powermax45.......both have been used on my PlasmaCam machine extensively. While the 1000 has a little more speed and power...I prefer the cut quality and consumable life that the newer generation Powermax45 provides. If I was cutting more 1/2" than 1/4"...I would choose the 1000, if I was occasionally cutting 1/2"...but spending most of my time on thinner materials....then the 45 would be my choice hands down. The 1250 blows the doors off both the 45 and the 1000.....but is a bit pricier!

All of Hypertherms specifications are on the conservative side.....if Hypertherm says you can production pierce 3/8"......you can rest assured that it will be able to pierce a little thicker...using good pierce technique. I do 1/2" with my 45 with no issues....and have done a bit of 5/8" with it as well.

Jim Colt

Jim,

i have been using hypertherm 1000 and plan to buy another plasma cutter for my cnc machine.. mainly cutting 1/4 inch thick very rare cutting thicker than that..

so do you suggest me get 45 or would 1250 be cutting better and longer consumable than 45?

Thanks
    Dan

The thing to always remember with any plasma.....higher power = faster speed......matching the correct power to the thickness being cut = best cut quality.

The 1250 can cut 1/4" plate at 80 amps and 161 inches per minute.....while the Powermax45 will cut 1/4" steel at 45 amps and 75 inches per minute. 80 amps on 1/4 " will cut fast and clean...but will produce a bit more edge taper......there are 40 amp and 60 amp consumables for the 1250.....which will slow down the speed and produce better edge quality on thinner materials.

Is 75 ipm fast enough for your 1/4" cutting jobs? Do you need more speed with less concern for quality?

Personally...I would give up the speed and go with the better quality and better consumable life that the 45 provides on thinner material. If most of my cutting was above 3/8"...the either the Hypertherm Powermax1000 or Powermax1250 woul be the better choice.

Jim

Jim,
    Thanks for all the responses and education here. I am a little torn still, though. If I feel most of my cutting will be 1/4" or below and the cutting speed is not as important, but I know that I will be doing the occasional thicker stuff. Am I better of to go with the 1250 and use the smaller 40 and 60 amp consumables? However, I noticed you said the consumables last longer on the 45 machine. So that sounds good. But, you said in an earlier post "the 1250 blows the doors off of the 45 and 1000, but it's a bit pricier". I don't mind spending the extra money now, if it will keep me from spending it later. I just want to get the best machine I can get for around that $3500 range.

Thanks again, And I apolagize for all the newbie questions.

most of the material I cut is 1/4" and 3/16" with some others as well but those are my more popular sizes. I cut 1/4" at 70 ipm and 3/16" at 80 imp with 60 amp tips on the 1250. Holes do have a little taper but what I have noticed when I oversize my bolt holes by .01 and use my Dynatorch wecim software and set the cut path at 40 amp tips but use the 60 amp tips I have been getting pretty good holes that I can run bolts through. I'm sure theres a better way to dial in my holes so I could use an actual .5 hole and be able to run a .5 bolt through it with the correct tip and lead size. IDK im just rambling now. But the cut speed may help with your decision.

The larger Hypertherm units have FineCut consumables for cutting materials 3/16" and thinner...that will produce the same cut quality as the Powermax45 in this range.....FineCut is a take of of the high definition technology that Hypertherm uses on its big industrial plasmas....not quite the same, but it allows for excellent cuts with minimal bevel on thinner materials.

On 1/4" through about 5/8"....if you use the available 40 Amp and 60 Amp consumables you will get excellent cut qualitythat is similar to the Powermax45.

The 45 does have newer technology called "conical flow"....that provides a high density arc with increased nozzle cooling....so at current levels of 45 amps and below expect very consistent cut quality and long nozzle and electrode life with this system...as compared to the others.

As I said before....the Powermax1000, 1250 and 1650 will cut with similar cut quality at lower power levels as compared to the 45......but at these lower power levels you will experience better consumable life with the 45.....it is a newer product design and we would expect new products to be better than previous ones! That being said....the 1000, 1250 and 1650 have the best consumable life in the business as compared to others in their power range.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by S Griffin View Post
    Jim,
    Thanks for all the responses and education here. I am a little torn still, though. If I feel most of my cutting will be 1/4" or below and the cutting speed is not as important, but I know that I will be doing the occasional thicker stuff. Am I better of to go with the 1250 and use the smaller 40 and 60 amp consumables? However, I noticed you said the consumables last longer on the 45 machine. So that sounds good. But, you said in an earlier post "the 1250 blows the doors off of the 45 and 1000, but it's a bit pricier". I don't mind spending the extra money now, if it will keep me from spending it later. I just want to get the best machine I can get for around that $3500 range.

Thanks again, And I apolagize for all the newbie questions.

This thread makes me feel better about my Powermax1000 I bought for my build.
    I bought it and the machine torch with a 25' cord along with a fine cut kit.
    I have yet to fire it up..
    Its a Dual Z Axis (Plasma/Router) 5 Axis Stepper System
    Working on the hardware (CandCNC PlazPak-1B with MP3000-DTHC Digital THC)
    Running MACH3 Software.

I dont plan on cutting material much thicker than 3/8" steel..
    I will post build pics later

It's nice to know there is a knowledgeable representative here on the site
    if one were to find himself in need.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    The thing to always remember with any plasma.....higher power = faster speed......matching the correct power to the thickness being cut = best cut quality.

The 1250 can cut 1/4" plate at 80 amps and 161 inches per minute.....while the Powermax45 will cut 1/4" steel at 45 amps and 75 inches per minute. 80 amps on 1/4 " will cut fast and clean...but will produce a bit more edge taper......there are 40 amp and 60 amp consumables for the 1250.....which will slow down the speed and produce better edge quality on thinner materials.

Is 75 ipm fast enough for your 1/4" cutting jobs? Do you need more speed with less concern for quality?

Personally...I would give up the speed and go with the better quality and better consumable life that the 45 provides on thinner material. If most of my cutting was above 3/8"...the either the Hypertherm Powermax1000 or Powermax1250 woul be the better choice.

Jim
    Is there a price list available? I'm going to get a plasma cutter, just looking into the prices now. I hear good things from your company. I want to make custom parts for vehicles and farm equip. Also want to make metal wall art. Don't really know the specific thickness for cutting though.

Hypertherm produces 15 different plasma cutters from 12 amps to 760 amps...each has a variety of options.....prices go from about $1195 to $78,000....depending on what your requirements are! Give me a few more details....hand held or mechanized torch...thickness requirements....cut quality requirements etc....and I can steer you in the right direction for prices. You can also go to your local welding supply store that sells the Hypertherm product....and they can provide demos and prices.

Best regards, Jim Colt

Page 1 of 3 123