586,009 active members*
4,659 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > X2 spindle motor trips too easily!

X2 spindle motor trips too easily!

Not seen this problem reported in any searches. Basically I can trip out the motor overcurrent circuit on my X2 by lightly gripping the spindle while it is rotating - or speeding up too quickly. Certainly, there isn't enough torque available to do any cutting. This happened after I had a trip event while cutting heavily with heavily worn motor brushes. The heavy cutting pushed the motor over the edge and there was a lot of arcing followed by the motor tripping out. I took out the brushes to find them almost non-existent and the springs were brittle and cracked up from the heat.

I replaced the brushes with new ones but now I have this easy tripping problem. There's nothing binding up the transmission, and I can't see any debris around the commutator when I opened it up. The comm was worn quite a bit and I cleaned the surface of it a bit to improve the contact with the brushes, no effect though. Maybe there's a component in the speed controller that could be damaged causing this fault? Help would be much appreciated! I need to cut parts pretty soon.

It could be the plastic that holds the upper shaft bearing has melted and deformed causing the armature to ground out due to play. Thats what happened to my motor.(flame2)

Robert

For anyone who stumbles on this thread in the future I thought I would post the solution to my problem.
    One of the 2 power resistors in the motor controller had snapped a leg, these resistors are used to sense the current being drawn by the motor and engage the trip when the limit is reached. I re-soldered the broken leg and everything is fixed. My thanks go to Hoss for supplying a link to a very useful PDF (http://www.modelbrasscannon.com/ServiceManual.pdf), and to John Gerling for writing the PDF. A useful document to have even if your motor controller is currently working I would suggest...

Thanks for the info. I hope I never need to use it.
    Regards
    Geoff