585,758 active members*
4,572 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Types of toolholders

I have my Haas Super Mini 2 on the way. Should be in town on Monday. I'm starting to order tooling. I've used ER32 collet chucks in the past as well as standard endmill holders. But in shopping for tooling I've noticed milling chucks as well. Any advice on which of the 3 types of toolholders is best for a particular type of cutting? It would seem that ER collet chucks and endmill holders (maybe a 3/4" and 1") would pretty much cover most cutting with endmills. When is a milling chuck a better choice than a collet chuck or endmill holder?

I have always used end mill holders for endmills like for the last 18-25 years, never again, I went to a kenemetal TG collet holders because of some major vibration problems with my vf2ss I purchased in july and wow what a difference, no vibration nothing.
    you notice it in high rpm applications more like 8k and above. but the finish is 10times better in 2k rpms when using a tg collet than a endmill holder.
    1/2 endmill 125-150 inchs a min at 12k rpm full width cut 1/2" deep and you hear nothing .

Er collets are nice I have many but I personaly think the tg holds the endmill better, I only use the ers for drills.
    if things ever get better I am going to dump them all and get the shrink fit holders but dam there expensive but well worth it.

DONT BUY kingston holders, I have slowly replaced all mine and my finish has improved dramatically like 10 folds. Believe it or not kenmetals are the same price to a tad cheaper.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...6&postcount=23

Since the thread above posted I been playing with different holders and such, my kingston holders that worked in my fadal for the last 3-4 years arent that great ( even the ones I had on a previous fadal werent that good and they were quite old.)
    I replaced them with kenmetal and everything is better, the fadal cuts better and sounds better. one reaosn the fadal worked better on the holders is it was used and had lots of tool changes the vf2ss was new and the taper was new and fresh so a sloppy taper wont give you a good seat.

one other thing I have noticed is that the endmills in the 3/16 and 1/8 endmill holders are kinda sloppy and have nicks and burrs in them so they dont hold a endmill properly ( even on 2 of the kenmetal ones I wasnt happy. so I started using the tg collet ones.)

Good luck
    Delw