585,888 active members*
3,901 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Grizzly G4003G: Need lathe advice.

Is this lathe a good fit for a cnc retro?

I really like a lot of the features of the lathe, but it's a little more than I was looking to spend. But, I don't want to grow out of this lathe anytime soon.

Is there a better lathe with similar features that won't hit my wallet as hard? Not opposed to old iron, but buying another person's problems scares me.

I was looking for the G0602 and G9249. HF also has similar lathes, that I could get delivered to their store with the possible 20% coupon. So HF might be a good option also. However, my experience is that the HF lathes need a little more love than Grizzly.

Obviously, I'm comparing apples to oranges to kumquats.

Ideally, I'd like to get lathe that will be moderately easy to cnc. I would like spindle through-hole better than an inch. Ideally, 1.5-2 inches.

Most work won't be in that size, but I will be looking at doing some barrel work etc. In truth, most work will be a lot smaller. In the range of .125"-.75" diameter, I will probably buy a 5c chuck to make life easier in that regards. I don't believe that I will be doing a lot of automated production work, so I don't think that I will need a bar feeder type setup.

i.e. I can take the time to dial in the 4jaw for spot on, if i need to.

Does anyone have any experience in what the run-out/accuracy will be on this lathe? I'm hoping that it's larger size and mass will make for a solid platform. But, I might also be trying to kill a gnat with a sledge hammer.

I'd like a variable speed, but I don't believe that is a requirement with cnc. I'm just not looking forward to changing belts etc.

I'd like to keep with a 110/220 single phase type motor. I don't want to deal with a phase converter etc. But if the another lathe is a good fit, I may swallow my discomforts.

Size isn't a huge constraint. The garage is full, but I'm planning on a larger shop next year. In the mean time, I guess I can stack more stuff on top of more stuff.

I will probably drive up to grizzly and put my hands on the lathes.

I'm sure I have other comments, I'd just like to get a little more feed back. I've never owned a machine if this size before. I currently have a mini-mill, x3, minilathe7x12 and an old craftsman 10x36 that has seen better days. I'm looking for something with a little better fit/finish that doesn't take all day to whittle down the part.

((Picked the craftsman for free, up in hopes of using it for a cnc platform. It's missing a lot of parts and I need a lathe to fix the lathe.... The Irony.))

Thanks,

Here's what I did. I went to southern-tool.com and got them to send me a copy of the certificate for the GH-1340W, then I called Grizzly and asked them if they had a lathe with a TDI of whatever Jet tested to.

The guy told me they didn't have anything close to that.

I don't have the test certificate otherwise I would send it to you. Southern-tool seemed okay with sending me a copy.

Paul

Thanks,

I'll see if Grizzly will give me an in writing test of their machine. The 1340 is nice, but it's starting to get way outside my price range.

Unless I sell a kidney..... hmmm

*grins*

that machine is pretty good. but when it comes to cnc, i would get the cheapest one in the size you want. basically all the mechanical components are removed and replaced with new stuff thats better. all the certs really go out the window. also all these machines have built in adjustments so really anything thats trammed in on a cert will not be once you put it on your floor and you really should redo it

I agree...

I was looking more at the spindle run out, the tail stock alignment etc. I like the tail stock and it's little torque wrech setup, but I'd assume that I could make one just as easy.

Base machine fit, finish, adjustments and capacity. Is what I'm overall concerned about.

Is there another lathe that is a better option?

Also, if this machine uses oddball standard's. I.e. the MT#5 taper on the spindle.. With that bite me later.

Thanks for the comments all.

all these machines are run and built from the same castings. spindle runout can most likely be fixed with new bearings or tightening up the preload on the ones that are there. also when it comes to a lathe spindle runout is fairly minor since your usually using a chuck anyway. make a mounting plate and then get a set tru chuck and your dead nuts all the time. if the spindle is not inline with the ways, then there are 4 screws you can loosen and readjust as needed. a 5MT spindle taper is common. you won't find any with a 5c taper or anything else. for my money like i said, find the cheapest one you can and make it work for you.

i had all these problems your discussing on the 9x20 lathe i bought. i also go mine from HF and really it made no difference. i spent an after noon cleaning, tweaking, aligning and this thing cuts nice and true now. but all these things take patience and really on a nice new lathe that your going to pay big bucks for someone spent the time to do what i'm describing. on any of these cheap imports, whether its KBC, HF, enco, grizzly or JET i wouldn't count on doing all the adjustment yourself.