584,863 active members*
4,833 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

No Encoder Counts On X Axis. Y=OK

For those of you who have been assisting me, here is what I have now.

I updated my setup program to include a second axis.

When I plug the encoder into the X axis inputs on the ICM2900, I get no encoder counts at all...

When I plug the encoder into the Y axis inputs, it counts 1024 ppr (as it should) Big thank you for teaching me that TP command.

I would say my galil card is toast on the X axis......

I will be very disappointed if Galil charges me to fix this.. I'm wondering if they would be willing to just take back this "Lemon" and give me a new board that was not built on a Friday...

Is there a way to get the galil card to treat my Y axis as the X axis? There does not seem to be a way within the camsoft setup to set things for 1 axis only, but choose which one inside the galil card. There used to be a command in the old computer DOS days that would let you "trick" the computer into thinking an A: drive was a B: drive and so on. Is there a way to do this with the galil card?

Any suggestions?
    Special thanks to AL, HILLBILLY, and INTRUSION for your help.

Murphy
    (I thought the smoke was supposed to stay inside the motor)

I checked the 1700 card I have and the 1800 is probabally the same, I suspect you may have inadvertantly blown the X Diff. reciever, unfortunately it appears the Differential recievers for the encoders are SMT type MC3486's which makes it tricky to replace, The IC's themselves are cheap but unless you are handy with a tiny soldering iron or knows someone that can replace SMT IC's it may be the best bet.
    The IC's are located next to the 100 pin connector and can be identified by placing your ohmeter on the ICM2900 on one of the X inputs and find a pin on one of the MC3486's that has zero ohms continuity.
    I believe you said you had a 2 axis card, If you only want to use one axis then just address the Y axis only, The Galil card always sees the encoders in a certain order but you should be able to label the Y axis to X in the Camsoft s/w.
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Al,
    Actually, I am very handy with a soldering iron.. Used to replace chips in the Airforce all the time... Its been 20 years and when I looked at the chips on the 1822, I said no way.. I dont have a quality soldering iron, and I have never attempted to solder pins as small as the ones I am seeing on the 1822. I bet with a good iron and a nice large piece of glass to look into, I could probably do it. But then, buy the time I get done buying all that stuff, having galil do the repair would be cheaper.

I can not figure out a way to get all my commands that are directed at the X axis to work with the Y axis. Actually, my commands are more or less generic and the software defaults to the ONLY axis that is configured. I can not get the camsoft software to recognize Y as the only axis.
    Oh well.. the card needs to be fixed anyhow.

I talked to a guy at Galil and they say $150 standard repair costs. But if they dont warranty it, I may begin looking for alternatives.

Anyone ever had a card with so many malfunctions? Strange stuff eh?

Thanks for all your help!
    By the way, just out of curiousity, how is it you are so knowledgeable about the camsoft / galil combo ?? Do I dare ask if you have an affiliation with them? You sure seem to know your stuff. If I am not supposed to ask that question, then just ignore it..

Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by murphy625
    Anyone ever had a card with so many malfunctions?

Do I dare ask if you have an affiliation with them? You sure seem to know your stuff. If I am not supposed to ask that question, then just ignore it..
    I have used various manufacturers cards and can honestly say I do not remember having any problems that required sending a card back, I have some systems out there that are over 15yrs in operation and working in incredibly dirty conditions (NO industrial strength PC's either).
    I am not affiliated with any particular company, I generally use what ever I can lay my hands on at the time, If I buy an off the shelf CNC system, it is usually Mitsubishi, I find the company much easier to work with than Fanuc.
    Al

Albert E.

Al,
    I hear faunuc is a bit_h to work with and the system is all specialized. But what about the motors? Is a Servo motor a servo motor? Or is both motor and drive specialized so no one else can use them?

Thanks,

It is very difficult to adapt the current drive systems like Fanuc etc, due to the digital communication between control & drive, I believe that the Delta-Tau board/system had a way of doing this however.
    Al

Albert E.