584,802 active members*
4,887 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

V3400 SOFTWARE

I have recently aquired a vanguard 3400. I am looking for better software than the DOS system that came with it. Anyone have any suggestions? We are a sign shop & getting into the engraving business as well.

Jim P
    Ct digital Graphics
    203-888-6509
    [email protected]

I believe V3400 we have uses the older hp plotter language for control. I have used acad 10 for doing special projects on our machine at work, but for what we generally do, it is clunkier than the software that came with the machine.
    You can save to a hp plotter file, and redirect it to your parallel port. The two main problems are the machine hangs up on pen changes, and getting it to engrave where you want it to.

The bottom line is you can set up windows to print to an old hp plotter using HPGL or use a dos version of acad to control the V3400. If you want to persue this I believe I have the Instructions that the salesman gave me for doing this.

I think that New Hermes updated their software about 9 years ago. The version I have is is the DOS version update to work on win 95.

ditch the software

Jim,

I had the same problem, I ditched the software, and the computer it came on. Then I got a higher speed computer, rewired the EP controller and now I run Mach3 controlling the machine, Full 3d engraving and carving.

I also use Vectric's cut3d, photoVcarve and Vcarve 5.0

Arnie
    www.amelectron.com

Arnie,

Do you have any details on the conversion you made to the Vanguard 3400 for use with Mach 3?

Someone stole the computer with the program and now we have the engraver and EP controller sitting around and no way to drive it.

Thanks,
    Chris

conversion

Chris,

The conversion uses the stepper driver board and the power supply in the EP controller. I remove the old motherboard & motion controller board.

Then I wire a conversion adapter to route the parallel port to the stepper driver board. I also rewire the stop switch to use for Estop.

Then all you do is start your Mach3 program on a computer with parallel port connected to the EP controller and go.

Contact me at [email protected] or [email protected] for conversion services, or see my web page www.amelectron.com

Arnie

Hello I also just acquired a New Hermes V3400 with EP module (Hpdl format.)
    If you still have the instructions on this particular set up .Or an example of a hpdl file
    Anything would would be helpful. I am running windows xp with parallel port.

It is rather complex from the simple description I did, this is a rather old post. I did determine you have to bypass several opto isolator chips because their speed is too slow.
    I discovered this because after my conversion I kept missing steps. I now offer a conversion that I perform on your 3400 EP controller box. I charge $200, you pay shipping both ways, just on the EP controller.
    I test the conversion on my 3400 bed before shipping and I include the Mach configuration file for you. Email and my web page (still under construction) have changed to [email protected] and www.minear.biz

Re: V3400 SOFTWARE

Hi aminer you right',...the org driv boards are very very slow...i can only get about 35ipm max after my arduino uno mod...if i go any faster the stepper motors sound like crap and lose steps...so i just accept 35ipm is fastest i can do which is insanely slow but its ok i guess...its just hobby

I put new drivers in mine along with larger steppers. The new drivers and motors are sooo nice! quite, fast and cheap.
    The machine deserves this upgrade along with a z axis motor mounted directly on the Z axis eliminating the 8 foot long drive belt.

I'm in the process of buying a non working Vanguard 3400, I own a signshop and I'm planning on getting it back up & running to do ADA Signs. I currently have Signlab pro, Vectric Aspire, Mach 4. But I'm not very good / confident at rewiring but I can do it if I have step by step instructions

- - - Updated - - -

I'm in the process of buying a non working Vanguard 3400, I own a signshop and I'm planning on getting it back up & running to do ADA Signs. I currently have Signlab pro, Vectric Aspire, Mach 4. But I'm not very good / confident at rewiring but I can do it if I have step by step instructions

There is another thread on rewiring a 3400 to stepper drivers and use a computer to control it, like you would a home built cnc. As I remember there was diagram. If you go this route, you need unipolar drivers, or you will need to wire it for bipolar. If you don't understand, you will need to do some research
    If you have the controler you can try reviving it. Another thread mentioned putting an ISA video card in an empty slot in the controller, hooking up a moniter, changing the memory battery, then setting date and time, allowing the controller to finish booting. I think this is why most of these units were junked.

Quote Originally Posted by jschmitt View Post
    There is another thread on rewiring a 3400 to stepper drivers and use a computer to control it, like you would a home built cnc. As I remember there was diagram. If you go this route, you need unipolar drivers, or you will need to wire it for bipolar. If you don't understand, you will need to do some research
    If you have the controler you can try reviving it. Another thread mentioned putting an ISA video card in an empty slot in the controller, hooking up a moniter, changing the memory battery, then setting date and time, allowing the controller to finish booting. I think this is why most of these units were junked.
    Does anyone have software upgrade for vanguard 3000lt …. Anything but this open dos software