585,956 active members*
4,560 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Trying to decide on CNC Plasma purchase

I am considering purchasing a CNC Plasma table and torch. So far I have looked at the Samson (PlasmaCam), DynaTorch and Torchmate tables/controls. I will be using a Hypertherm Powermax 1250 plasma cutter. We mainly work sheet metal, 4'x10' sheets, so I will need the larger table size. I would love to hear from anyone who has or is using any of these machines - reliabilty, quality, ease of use, any software issues. Any info you can give is great. Also, if anyone is in the Sarasota/Bradenton area I would really appreciate the chance to stop by and see your machine and talk to you about it. This is a fairly large purchase for us, so we want to make sure we get it right the first time. Thanks!

I have been going through the same issues for a few months. I spoke with everyone I could find. There are pros and cons to almost every machine out there. I ended up ordering a PlasmaRoute CNC. I have not picked it up yet, so I can't give you much more info yet. If you want to check them out give Steve or Nikki a call, they have been very helpful to me. Their website is www.plasmaroutecnc.com

Good luck

What factors led you to your decision? What size table did you go with and what will be your primary use of it?

Thanks!

The Samson, the Dynatorch and the Torchmate are good machines for use with an air plasma (like the Hypertherm Powermax1250). Just be sure that the Torchmate and Dynatorch are quoted equipped with full THC and initial height sensing...as well as a software drawing package......these items are standard equipment on the PlasmaCam and Samson machines.

You will find that the Dynatorch and Torchmate are of a bit heavier construction...the PlasmaCam is produced from custom formed steel. Advantages of heavier construction is better durability in the event of rough use or heavy plate and dropping of the plate on the machine.....while the lighter gantry of the PlasmaCam may be more conducive to quicker acceleration/de-acceleration which may provide tighter tolerances on thinner materials. I would suggest finding users of all three and speaking with them to find their likes and dislikes.

I personally own a PlasmaCam DHC2 4 x 4 machine...and am very happy with it for my use...mine is equipped with a Hypertherm Powermax45...and a Torit fume extractor....works quite well in removing smoke and fumes.

What type of work are you planning? How thick, expected tolerance, and how much use?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by NolesMetals View Post
    What factors led you to your decision? What size table did you go with and what will be your primary use of it?

Thanks!
    I was impressed with how the Plasmaroute machine is built. I got the ZR 4' x 8' machine. I bought it as the complete package with the torch height control, computer, plasma machine and all software. One of the big things I liked with them is how easily you can switch it over to a router as well. And it was only about a $500 option. I will do more plasma cutting with it, but I like having the versatility. A local guy here has a Plasma Cam machine and he likes his as well. I read all kinds of posts on here on things to look for (posted by people way more experienced than me). Things like how the gantry is driven, what motors, how the gantry is built. There is alot of good info on this site. I don't want to say anything bad about any other machines, I think they are all pretty impressive. I primarily will be cutting brackets and things like that for custom cars and drag racing.
    I don't know if I have helped you any, I just wanted to recommend you check out PlasmaRoute while you were looking.

Plasmaroute has software too

PlasmaRoute usually quotes and bundles CorelDRAW, the DXFtool and SheetCAM. This is a complete solution for plasma which is getting to be pretty popular.

-James
    James Leonard - www.DragonCNC.com - www.LeonardCNCSoftware.com - www.CorelDRAWCadCam.com - www.LeonardMusicalInstruments.com

It will be interesting to see 3 or 4 machines configured similarly....same plasma, same computer, similar software, torch height control with the same advertised capabilities....same cutting bed size...and see how they compare in regards to quoted price.

Jim

Seeing a side by side would be very interesting and informing. Does anyone know if this has been done? Hopefully someone has been able to do this.

Still interested in any other thoughts ont eh Samson, Dynatorch and Torchmate systems.

What type of work are you planning? How thick, expected tolerance, and how much use?

Jim -

Right now we are a sheet metal shop (16g - 26g), so fairly light stuff. We work with copper, auluminum, s/s and galvanized. As we expand with the cutter, we will get into heavier stock based on demands/needs. We are thinking of using it to create decoritive work, but also for light manufacturing of repetative peices. So I am not sure if the higher accurracy of teh Samson or teh heavier build of the Dyantorch and Torchmate is more important.

Thanks and i appreciate your comments.

Mike

The Dynatorch and Torchmate...as well as others....will all claim superiority in terms of accuracy....so I would not want to argue that point between any of them. Plasma cutting accuracy has to do with: 1. Plasma cutter accuracy and condition of consumables (no two plasma systems are equal) 2. Operator set up skill and knowledge. 3. Accuracy in terms of following the programmed cut path while maintaining programmed cut speeds (of the machine) 4. Acuracy of the torch height control to maintain torch to work distance for piercing as well as steady state cutting 5. The part program in terms of its lead in, lead out shapes, it's g-code control of corner speed, hole speed, thc functions.

There is more as well that can affect accuracy. A good rule of thumb with air plasma on any of these relatively low cost entry level machines....is to expect plus or minus .030" cut part accuracy under production conditions....based on the criteria above. If I cut a single part on my machine and work real hard to control accuracy.....maye by cutting a few sample parts and tweaking the settings...I can often hold .010".....but I would not expect to do that on a production run of 100 or 1000 parts!

High end high definition class plasma systems on a precision industrial machine (over $100k) can hold very tight tolerances throughout a production run.

For the things you are considering...I suspect any of the machines you are looking at will do an adequate job. I would be looking at software and support and learning curve issues...as well as purchase price.

Jim

I have a Samson machine and Hypertherm PM1000. I have been running it daily for a year and a half. I am very happy with the combination.

The Samson table has a true THC system. It is truly a start cutting and walk away machine. I run full sheets of nested parts daily with no issues.

Before I spent the money I went to the FabTEC show in Chicago. Samson was set up and running the machine. My biggest concern was repeatability/accuracy. They had a very fine point pen and were drawing on paper. I had Patrick draw a letter A drive the machine to it's opposite end and draw the same letter A in the same spot over top of the existing Letter he just drew. It was spot on, not even a little off location. I then had him home the machine and repeat the same opertation. Same results. That is due to the fact it has servo motors satandard on the X and Y. My thought is all I would have to deal with was kerf offset to keep an accurate size. I was correct. I cut thousands of .281" holes in 16ga CR with less than .003 variation.

As for the Hypertherm PM1000. I don't think there is much I can say, except you would be an idiot not to purchase a Hypertherm plasma cutter.

I also have a downdraft system it is the best way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by plasmapunk View Post
    I have a Samson machine and Hypertherm PM1000. I have been running it daily for a year and a half. I am very happy with the combination.

The Samson table has a true THC system. It is truly a start cutting and walk away machine. I run full sheets of nested parts daily with no issues.

I had Patrick draw a letter A drive the machine to it's opposite end and draw the same letter A in the same spot over top of the existing Letter he just drew. It was spot on, not even a little off location. I then had him home the machine and repeat the same opertation. Same results. That is due to the fact it has servo motors satandard on the X and Y. My thought is all I would have to deal with was kerf offset to keep an accurate size. I was correct. I cut thousands of .281" holes in 16ga CR with less than .003 variation.
    The repeatability is due to a nice tight machine not the fact that it is servo driven. I'm not bashing servos they are fine. Steppers will repeat as acurately as you describe also.
    If it works.....Don't fix it!