585,749 active members*
4,071 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Square hole in square tube

Square hole in square tube

I have no idea what Im doing! I dont have any engineering background and I havent worked with metal as Im mostly wood orientated, So I could really use your advise/help.

Im designing a cnc wood router and I would prefer the frame to be made from steel. I need to make a bracket to align the rail but I dont know how to go about cutting a square hole in a rectangular box section of mild steel

Please forgive my attempt at drawing, but It probably better than me trying to explain in words

Any ideas, help, or humorous comments welcome.

I wouldnt use a hammer to put a screw in as I do have some technical ability but could really use some help.

Thanks in advance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails good idea bad drawing.jpg  
    Precision is something that can be achieved when you dont have a budget like mine

Get the smallest fine tooth saber saw blade you can find. Drill a hole just large enough to take this blade at opposite corners of your square hole location and cut it out with a saber saw. Go slowly and use some tapping fluid as a lubricant; if the lubricant starts smoking you are running the saber saw too fast.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

2 other methods

--mark out the square, drill out on the corners ( they need clearance anyway ), hacksaw the lines as Geof suggests

or

--mark out the square, cut across the diagonal corners, mill in a vee in both parts and then clearance drill the top, tap the bottom for bolting together

Thankyou for advice, Looks like my design will be born after all !
    Precision is something that can be achieved when you dont have a budget like mine

there are ways to cut a square hole, but because of the challenges good designs tries to avoid them unless absolutely necessary....maybe have a round hole and an adapter that fits inside it and insidethe square tubing (brazed maybe)?

if you have a drill press handy then you could easily lay out the square then drill with a 1/8 dia drill bit all along the layed out lines , then clean it up with a die grinder or file
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

If you can leave a bit of a radius at each corner then it'll be more resistant to cracking from flexing. Either leave a bit of material at each corner (i.e. don't file it square) or drill a small hole centered on each corner if the design permits.

Jim
    No time to do it right, plenty of time to do it twice.