585,668 active members*
4,315 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Hsm Machines

Page 1 of 6 123

Hsm Machines

I'm a newcomer to this site.I will be entering the hsm ring shortly and I'm interested in all the info I can get.We are currently looking at Makino,OKK,Mori.and Mikron any input on controllers or HSM in general would be great.
    rollie

Welcome to the forum. I've used OKK and Mori's, the Mori was my favorite.

If you're serious about HSM, maybe you should look at Boston Digital. They make a suhwheet machine. But you're gonna pay a huge price.

'Rekd teh drooling
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

What about controls do you have a favorite.
    Fanuc Heidenhain Mitsubishi any input helps.
    Did you like the Mori controller
    rollie

I also have a meeting with Mikron this afternoon.
    I'm interested in Makino and OKK also
    rollie

Originally posted by rollie
    What about controls do you have a favorite.
    Fanuc Heidenhain Mitsubishi any input helps.
    Did you like the Mori controller
    I prefer the Mori over the OKK, and all the fanuc's I've used I really can't stand. Fadal was my all time favorite, mostly because of the 'normal' keyboard. HAAS is my second fav, and the Bosto is my third, only because I didn't get to spend too much time on it.

'Rekd

I will be doing alot of 3d programming with surfcam for core and cavity injection molds.Mostly cutting around HRC 40 material.Where can I get more info on the Heidenhain control.
    rollie

I'm new to this site also and it was nice to here the input from eveyone .I have a machine with a high speed controller and no one ever quite explained it that way .

I'm having trouble with the tool gouging on a remachine program ,which is when you finish your tool you go back and clean-up the radii with a smaller cutter . I'm cutting cast aluminum molds ,any input would be helpful .
    VIPERDM100

Controlling servo lag is the likely culprit. What it boils down to is that the positioning accuracy of the machine is compromised due to high feed rates. It takes an extremely high servo update rate to maintain any kind of position control during high feedrate moves. This causes a lateral displacement of the machine table which "offsets" the surface a little bit from the theoretically perfect position. When you recut, approaching from a different angle, or using different feedrates, then the "blended motion" of your previous high feed path is no longer applicable to the new path, so then the gouging occurs as the servo is now positioning a little bit differently than it was before.

All you can really do is to make sure that your servoes are tuned as tight as you can get them, to minimize overshoot. This can make a world of difference.

Then slow down your feedrates until the positioning overlap is acceptable between the two passes.

My 2 cents.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Originally posted by viperdm100
    I'm new to this site also and it was nice to here the input from eveyone .I have a machine with a high speed controller and no one ever quite explained it that way .

I'm having trouble with the tool gouging on a remachine program ,which is when you finish your tool you go back and clean-up the radii with a smaller cutter . I'm cutting cast aluminum molds ,any input would be helpful .
    Hi viper. Welcome.

What software and machine types?

My first guess would be check the toolpath tolerance in the software.

:edit:
    second guess; +1 to what dung said
    :/edit:

'Rekd

DavidB Guest
    i have a new OKK VM7 with a fanuc control.We do high speed cutting on this machine with fantastic results.I also have a machine with a heid controller.If you were going to do any any programing on the controller id pick the heid controler anyday.

David, how old is the OKK, as the one I ran was 10ish years ago.

'Rekd
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

wow...

You guys took off w/ this thread

Boston Digital is now owned by Mikron and from
    actual experience I would not recommend these
    machines. Especially the mikron.

Makino - good

roeders- good

OKK is supposed to be a pretty tight machine.
    Know a guy who owns 4 and he's in love w/ them.
    I also know a dealer who sells all types, he says
    OKKs his favorite.

Yasda - hands down the best of the best. with a price tag
    to match, but as they say you get what you pay for. Definetly
    the best machines out for high speed and hard machining.
    I had 2 at my last shop.

As far as controls go i did'nt care for the heidenhein,
    I'm a FANUC guy all the way.
    Everyone uses them , so with that said "how can that many
    people be wrong?"

Thats all i got to say about that
    PEACE

If you are having problems with remachining I would say it might be your tool height setting. I know that our reneshaw tool setter was off and we recalibrated it to 0.0001 accuracy in diameter and 0.00001 in depth.

Klaus Guest
    Hardmill,

Any particular reason why you would not recommend Mikron/ Bostomatic machines?

Klaus

hands on experience.....

Bostos are ok we had a mikron and it came w/ too many issues
    Just my personal preference.
    Guaranteed no one could touch the Yasda though,can't say enough good things about it.

I have a Mikron at my shop and it is not the greatest machine. They make it sound better then it is. If you look into one just make sure that you look closly at it. We have a 5-axis mikron at our shop it is nothing but trouble. Just wanted to let you know.

Hardmill is right, YASDA is the way to go if you can afford it. I can hold .0002 tolerance all day long. If I need one more tenth to go the Yasda will take just that.

Just sharing my experance!

DavidB Guest
    Rekd my OKK is brand new and a joy to use.13000 rpm BT 50 plus.

Enjoy your quotes im mastercam forum,always good 4 a laugh.

Hardmill
    -----------------------------quote----------------------------------------
    As far as controls go i did'nt care for the heidenhein,
    I'm a FANUC guy all the way.
    Everyone uses them , so with that said "how can that many
    people be wrong?"
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The main reseon people use fanuc controllers is because to get a heidenhain controller you would be up 4 more $$$.I use both fanuc and Heid controllers and for controller programing a fanuc doesn't come close .The new Heid controller is pc based and is so user friendly.

Thanks for all the input everyone.
    Hardmill your right the Yasda is very expensive.I like the Makino
    S33,Makino S56. Is anyone using any of these machines. Also still looking at Mori and OKK.How is the Mori MAPPS Control Panel.
    rollie

Does anyone have any knowledge on the OKK VP600 and VP400 series HSM machines.They seem to be a well built machine.Need some input for we are considering buying one.Also we may be buying either
    a Makino S33 , V33 , or S56 series.Any info will help.We are getting close to making a decision.Everyone has been a help.This site is great.Glad i found it.
    rollie

I have no experience with those we currently have a Shizouka SV-4024 with HPCC ethernet and a hard drive. It is 12,000rpm with max rapid of 1500ipm and we love it. Has lots of options including thru the spidnle coolant, renishaw tool setter. I have loked at DMG and I think they look great. Also the Makinos look good and I know someone that has a new one which they are very happy with.

Page 1 of 6 123