585,715 active members*
3,946 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Alternative to Okuma multifunctional machines
Page 2 of 2 12
    I don't want to stray from gremac's original question too far here.
    We all know what the okuma's can and can't do.
    I think a huge part of a customers impression of a machine is how well they are supported after installation.
    If WFL have an office nearby, with skilled staff, and customers willing to vouch for their goods and services, then that is in their favour.
    If you buy machine tool XYZ because you want to make A,B and C, then sooner or later your engineer is going to want to make part D and it wont fit!
    We've all had to fudge jobs, buy different tooling, or "trick" the machine one way or another to get that last mm.
    If WFL rely only on their machine being bigger and better, then leave you to your own devices, then that is not a machine I would want to buy.

here the Okuma support is very good. the company basically bought the Macturn just for that reason. unfortunately it's not the best machine for what we want to manufacture but some high offical CEO at HQ (in another country) made a decision to buy Okuma so we are stuck with it. well, someone is stuck with it ;-)
    but at least when it breaks Okuma support will be on top of it pretty quickly.

I would have liked to see a Gildermeister CTX beta 1250 4A in our shop (the specs are impressive, twin turret, twin chuck, live tooling +C/Y axis and tailstock) but unfortunately support is zero so we passed. oh and the Siemens control also sucks ;-)

So yeah, support is a big reason to buy from company X.

Page 2 of 2 12