584,849 active members*
4,373 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > WHAT PARAMETERS MAKE THE RAPIDS FASTER

WHAT PARAMETERS MAKE THE RAPIDS FASTER

EARLIER TODAY I FOUND OUT I CAN CHANGE PARAMETERS 131, AND 183 TO MAKE MY SPINDLE GO FASTER THAN THE FACTORY SET IT TO. NOW I'M HOPING THE RAPIDS CAN BE BEEFED TOO. I WAS HOPING SOMEONE OUT THERE MIGHT HAVE ALREADY DONE THIS AND CAN GIVE ME SOME HELP. I'M KINDA HESITANT ABOUT JUMPING IN AND CHANGING PARAMETERS I DONT FULLY UNDERSTAND, UNLESS I HAVE A REASONABLE CAUSE.

I SEARCHED THROUGH ALL THE PARAMETER PAGES ON THE CONTROL AND DIDNT SEE ANYTHING ON THE RAPIDS. HOWEVER, I DID CHANGE PARAMETER 59 T0 400 IPM. THIS JUST ALLOWS ME TO PROGRAM UP TO F400. RATHER THAN THE FACTORY F200.

Quote Originally Posted by PROGRAMERDAVE View Post
    EARLIER TODAY I FOUND OUT I CAN CHANGE PARAMETERS 131, AND 183 TO MAKE MY SPINDLE GO FASTER THAN THE FACTORY SET IT TO. I'M KINDA HESITANT ABOUT JUMPING IN AND CHANGING PARAMETERS I DONT FULLY UNDERSTAND, UNLESS I HAVE A REASONABLE CAUSE.
    you may want to change the spindle parameters back. How do you know you have the correct spindle bearings to turn a higher RPM then the one you have?
    I am not sure but the parameters are there for different options that are on the machine, if you dont have that correct spindle option in there you may burn it up.

I would be hesitant about making anything faster unless I called Haas and confrimed it was OK to do so. if the parameters are there and your allowed to change them haas will have no problem telling you if it is safe to do for the particular machine and options you got, the other ones are unlocked by a the super secret decorder ring and RPMS are not one of them that I am aware of..

What machine is this for? From the sounds of the 200IPM feedrate, I'm guessing it's the TM Series (un-enclosed). If this is true then there are few thrreads that address. other users have changed theirs and seem to be running fine without issue. The spindle and bearings in the un-enclosed TM's are same as the base mini from what I understand. The reason they are set to the 4k rpm, and 200 ipm cutting and rapids is mainly for safety reasons. If the machine is out of warranty then you culd probably change them without issues.

But would be advisable to atleast call Haas and check on the specifics of the spindle bearings and get confirmation on this.

CJH

Quote Originally Posted by Delw View Post
    you may want to change the spindle parameters back. How do you know you have the correct spindle bearings to turn a higher RPM then the one you have?....
    I think it is fine. The TM spindle is the same as the MiniMill which runs at 6000 and the TMP mills come out of the factory with the spindle set for 6000.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

If you call Haas, they're going to tell you that you shouldn't do it, even if there's no problem with it. They're in the business to sell more machines. I tried once to call them about using my Minimill as a lathe. I wanted to find a way to turn threads, which was the only thing I couldn't do at the time. All they wanted to help me with was buying a lathe. I've since discovered how to do the threads myself.

YUP, ITS A 2006 TM-2. I HAVE BEEN RUNNING THE SPINDLE AT 6000 FOR THE PAST FEW DAYS NOW AND IM NOT WORRIED A BIT. I AM PRETTY MUCH JUST CUTTING ALUMINUM, COPPER, BRASS, AND PLASIC ON IT SO THE TORUE ON IT IS MINIMUL. NOT TO MENTION I HAVE MY COOLANT RING (AS MENTIONED IN OTHER THREAD) WRAPPED AROUND THE SPINDLE NOSE SO IT IS KEEPING THOSE BEARINGS NICE AND COOL. I HAVE LOOKED THROUGH EVERY PARAMETER AND EVERY SETTING AND I CANT FIGURE OUT WHAT TO DO ABOUT THE RAPIDS. I KNOW ON A HURCO IT IS A SIMPLE SETTING THAT YOU CAN TYPE IN, AND THEN ON TOP OF THAT, YOU CAN STILL USE THE OVERRIDE DIALS AS WELL. HOPING HAAS WOULD HAVE SOMETHING SIMILAR.

EARLIER TODAY I FOUND OUT I CAN CHANGE PARAMETERS 131, AND 183 TO MAKE MY SPINDLE GO FASTER THAN THE FACTORY SET IT TO. NOW I'M HOPING THE RAPIDS CAN BE BEEFED TOO. I WAS HOPING SOMEONE OUT THERE MIGHT HAVE ALREADY DONE THIS AND CAN GIVE ME SOME HELP. I'M KINDA HESITANT ABOUT JUMPING IN AND CHANGING PARAMETERS I DONT FULLY UNDERSTAND, UNLESS I HAVE A REASONABLE CAUSE.

I SEARCHED THROUGH ALL THE PARAMETER PAGES ON THE CONTROL AND DIDNT SEE ANYTHING ON THE RAPIDS. HOWEVER, I DID CHANGE PARAMETER 59 T0 400 IPM. THIS JUST ALLOWS ME TO PROGRAM UP TO F400. RATHER THAN THE FACTORY F200.
    What did you change 183 to??

Thanks!

ProgrammerDave...try typing without all CAPS LOCK...it's like going into any building and shouting at the top of your voice. Not to mention it is distracting to try to find the beginning and end of sentences. You don't have to pull a reverse-ee cummings

YUP, ITS A 2006 TM-2. I HAVE BEEN RUNNING THE SPINDLE AT 6000 FOR THE PAST FEW DAYS NOW AND IM NOT WORRIED A BIT. I AM PRETTY MUCH JUST CUTTING ALUMINUM, COPPER, BRASS, AND PLASIC ON IT SO THE TORUE ON IT IS MINIMUL. NOT TO MENTION I HAVE MY COOLANT RING (AS MENTIONED IN OTHER THREAD) WRAPPED AROUND THE SPINDLE NOSE SO IT IS KEEPING THOSE BEARINGS NICE AND COOL. I HAVE LOOKED THROUGH EVERY PARAMETER AND EVERY SETTING AND I CANT FIGURE OUT WHAT TO DO ABOUT THE RAPIDS. I KNOW ON A HURCO IT IS A SIMPLE SETTING THAT YOU CAN TYPE IN, AND THEN ON TOP OF THAT, YOU CAN STILL USE THE OVERRIDE DIALS AS WELL. HOPING HAAS WOULD HAVE SOMETHING SIMILAR.

rapids

You can increase the rapids, but you have to make sure the servo motor can handle speed. My tm-3p came with 400 ipm and, i up graded the rapid to 600 but i have to lube the machine more, from haas the machine is lube once a month so do it twice to 3 times a month. i will look at the number tomarrow. been running this way for months no problem at all, use the machine all week.