585,971 active members*
4,238 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Employment Opportunity / RFQ (Request for Quote). > Employment Opportunity > Finding work when your talent is a specialty service.

Finding work when your talent is a specialty service.

My partner and I own a company which specializes in precision welding. I've been doing this type of welding for the past 19 years. Prior to that I worked in a mold shop and obtained my tool and die papers. Up until a year ago I was running my business as a sole proprietor. Then I went in with a partner and formed an LLC. My partner also has a small tool and die shop.Our plans were for him to handle sales and administrative tasks so I could focus on welding. That has not gone as planned. His shop has been fairly busy and that has taken him from being able to do sales. I understand somewhat, but then he will make the statement that we should cut back on hours for the welding side since we don't have the work. I own part of the welding business but have no financial interest in the tool and die shop. My feelings are if we don't have welding work then maybe we should focus on sales. Which is what I've been doing lately. He seems to think I should be helping his tool and die shop. For which I would be paid and hourly rate. But I feel someone needs to be doing the sales, because thats where my financial interest is.
    Not sure if my feelings are correct or not. The type of welding I do is a niche and when the molding industry is good my business is good as well.Would like some input on other areas I could apply what I know. Or maybe I should keep calling on molding and tool and die type businesses.

To give better understanding. I've included some pics of my work
    Any input is appreciated.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02830iii.jpg   DSC02800.JPG   slot-weld1.jpg   BowlSpinner01PPPP[2] (Small) (Large).jpg  

IMG_3186[2] (Small) (Large).jpg   P8050218[1] (Large).jpg  

Right now my advice would be to go where the money is at. Maybe you could invest into your partners business and make more then a hourly wage, depending on what that hourly wage is and if a investment into his business would pay out. We too are in the same boat as most everybody else, business is slow. You could start a website for your business too, if you don't already have one. That is what I plan on doing very soon and I hope to have more work flowing. I also hope to start manufacturing parts, I have no idea at the moment if it will take off or not. Thats about all you can do is try, one thing for sure is not to be passing up business.

Right now my advice would be to go where the money is at. Maybe you could invest into your partners business and make more then a hourly wage, depending on what that hourly wage is and if a investment into his business would pay out. We too are in the same boat as most everybody else, business is slow. You could start a website for your business too, if you don't already have one. That is what I plan on doing very soon and I hope to have more work flowing. I also hope to start manufacturing parts, I have no idea at the moment if it will take off or not. Thats about all you can do is try, one thing for sure is not to be passing up business, unless it is to me, I'd be glad to take on some extra work.

If you can weld like that then you might consider work in aerospace, there is lots of work for someone who can consistently make good GTAW welds in stainless and high performance alloys.

Jim
    No time to do it right, plenty of time to do it twice.