584,833 active members*
5,450 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > i picked up some scraped stepper motor

i picked up some scraped stepper motor

hi there!
    i have just got my hand on some stepper motor from scrap for 10 dollars each i want to build a cnc engraving or make small lathe/mill using these motors i m zero in electronics but good in machinics

the spec on these motors are as follows
    stepper cust p/n
    type 23lm-c700-02
    5.1v 1.7a 1.8 deg
    no toy 18-03
    minebea co ltd
    made in thailand round body

step syn type: 103h7124-1011
    fh6-163401
    3.25a 1.8 deg
    lot no 01223
    sanyo denki japan square body

the problem the first motor mentioned above are available in plenty and and can be bought cheaply in lot now i dont know weather they are useful for cnc or notif they are of any use then where do u find a controller for these machines help me out also posting some photos of the motors

5.1v 1.7A doesn´t give much torque. I think these are steppers form a printer, scanner or something like that.

The step syn may be useful. I have 425 oz.-in. Keling motors on my router. They draw just under 3 amps. The voltage rating should be low, under 5 volts. Otherwise, useful top speed will be limited.

John

The minebea is a small motor about 80 oz in. It would run a small footprint cnc engraver as long as you have efficient mechanicals.
    Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

Quote Originally Posted by pminmo View Post
    The minebea is a small motor about 80 oz in. It would run a small footprint cnc engraver as long as you have efficient mechanicals.
    small footprints does it mean they are not useful ? which type of motors should i look for, they have lot of scrap yard with lots of motors can i get a specific rating or how to get the best motors

Small meaning 14" or less
    Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

Why not buy nema 23 motors on ebay? Bad equipments can´t create other than irritation.

Wink stepper motors 800z

hi guy's
    i was going through the post and found out the motors i was going to use may be of less help but can i use it to build a form cutting machine i was browseing and on some site i saw that they are useing motors 80 0z and below to make aero foils and stuff like that can some boby throw light on this subject??

If you are talking about a "hot wire" machine, these would probably work.

John