585,967 active members*
4,421 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > carbide corner rounding endmill

carbide corner rounding endmill

i wanna buy an indexable carbide endmill for corner rounding. I want a 3/8" radius. Does anybody has try swiftcarb superbee or radstar or do you have another brand to sugest? It's exclusivly to work in aluminium.

R3/8" indexable ???
    2 flute -- a bit slow --- a fine finish with 1 or 2 passes may be difficult

would be a lot cheaper HSCo corner rounder ( 4 flute ) and a lot more forgiving on the heavy cutting, and would last a fairly good length of time in Alum. and may be faster than the CBD

first of all, if you look to radstar, the size of the tip is only 1/2" the holder is 210$ and it is avaible in 3/4" or 1.250" shank you only need 1 insert at 42$. Also the same holder fit for radius from 9/32 to 3/8. I make a lot of part that have a linear contour from 38" to 125" rounded. So if i can feed twice faster, that tool will pay itself in short time.

The swiftcarb superbee is a bit different. Tool tip is big enough (.750") but it is just 1/4" bigger than standar HSS corner rounding endmill. Holder costs 187$ and you need to insert at 27$ each.

So the question is not Carbide or HSSco? But how does perform that kind of endmill in alu?

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    R3/8" indexable ???
    2 flute -- a bit slow --- a fine finish with 1 or 2 passes may be difficult

would be a lot cheaper HSCo corner rounder ( 4 flute ) and a lot more forgiving on the heavy cutting, and would last a fairly good length of time in Alum. and may be faster than the CBD
    i see that you edited your reply. This is wath i read when i wrote mine:"imagine the size of the tip.... and the holder.... and the $$$". Probably you took a look to this product after and see that they are not so big and relatively affordable.

Boy, are you quick off the mark,
    didn't have that up long before editting ( didn't leave a comment to say I edited, it was that quick )

yeh, quick look at radstar told me my post was sh*t, and no-one likes mud in the eye, so I changed it

Still those tools won't finish the rad in 1 pass, unless roughly formed in the hogging out stage, even then, it's a lot of arc contact all at once, may work quite good with the 2000, 3000 Alum grades maybe even the 5000, but it would struggle with 6061 and 7075
    I would also imagine they would be quite noisey to use