585,949 active members*
4,124 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Syil Products > x4th axis Titanium custom rings

x4th axis Titanium custom rings

just thought id post some pictures of some great titanium wedding rings, these were done out of 6Al-4V ELI titanium with a 1/8 carbide coated ballnose endmill. The rings were 100% done on the mill, no lathe work.
    The stock started a 2 inch stock, we milled away about 1/2 -9/16". On the speedmaster this full program only took just under 1hr, we billed out $900.00 for this project (not bad for 1hr)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0365.JPG   IMG_0366.JPG   IMG_0367.JPG  

Beautiful!

-Jason

Quote Originally Posted by syil canada View Post
    just thought id post some pictures of some great titanium wedding rings, these were done out of 6Al-4V ELI titanium with a 1/8 carbide coated ballnose endmill. The rings were 100% done on the mill, no lathe work.
    The stock started a 2 inch stock, we milled away about 1/2 -9/16". On the speedmaster this full program only took just under 1hr, we billed out $900.00 for this project (not bad for 1hr)

next year coming,take one for me,i like it...
    use a syil machine make it,i need try...haha
    Direction,Commitment,Follow through

How did you hold the work?

Thanks!

Someone loves Mazda rotaries too much [at least thats what they look like..!]

Curious [as mentioned] how you held them? # of setups?
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

how we did it

The first operation,
    we clamped the 3" rod in the vise, and faced it off. We then cut a circular pocket to the exact ring finger size.

The second operation,
    We the set up the 4th axis horizontally along the X axis, we then touched off and found the 3 centers X,Y and Z and ran the program.

We Designed the ring in Autocad inventor, and then imported the .iges file in to Mecsoft visual mill. If there are any other Mecsoft 4th axis users out there they can attest how simple this is, it took about 5mins work.

Due to the way mach3 works it took some messing around to get the 4th axis to run effectively.
    Our X,Y and z motors are set to "10160 steps per" @ 120 ipm. The 4th axis is set to 1000 "steps per" @600 ipm.

So the issue is that mach3 will only go as fast as the slowest tuned motor when using live 4th axis, being that the 4th axis 1000 and the other axis are 10160, the 4th is minimum 10X slower.

So I wanted to cut @ 8ipm on the surface of the 4th axis, if i programed this in mach3 and used live 4th axis it would be roughly .08 ipm on the surface of the 4th axis. (which i did a program run time estimation and it was something like 36hrs)

Solution, I tuned the max ipm in the motor tuning to 8imp for the X,Y and Z, and left the 4th axis. I then in my program posted that the whole program cuts @ 400ipm. Being that mach will only cut as fast as the slowest axis "which i made 8ipm" presto chango it worked.

it took a slight amount of changes on the feedrate override to get it perfect.

A video would have been nice.

The 3 inch rod or 2 inch certainly wasn't the diameter??

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by ViperTX View Post
    A video would have been nice.

The 3 inch rod or 2 inch certainly wasn't the diameter??

Paul
    Sorry the diameter of the rod was 2inch it was sticking out of the 4th axis by 3 inches.

I will take some more video, as we have lots of cool rock star stuff comming up in the near future, we are making some titanium rings for the band shinedown. These rings will be constructed out of titanium with channel set black diamonds. We are also prototyping a line of rock and roll silverware for another rock star (can't say the name)

The speedmaster has been our saving grace for machining detailed jewelry and detailed profiling, we even have done stuff for fergi from the black eyed peas. Any of the high end gold barbells you see in her eyebrow, we made.

Cool... on the second step:

The second operation,
    We the set up the 4th axis horizontally along the X axis, we then touched off and found the 3 centers X,Y and Z and ran the program.
    How did you hold the stock in the RT? did you hold it from the inside of the ring? If so, how did you get the radius on the edge on all sides inside and out? I'm having a hard time picturing how I would hold such a small part and finish it all around