584,879 active members*
5,053 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Engineering Projects Outsourcing

Hi,

I wonder if anybody here has ever dealt with outsourcing some parts of their manufacturing process like engineering projects? I would like to hear some ideas of the people who practise such things at their companies, which exactly projects you put out of in-house processing? What are the prices you pay for such service? In fact I run a business focused on helping organizations to manage the engineering part of work and I am looking for information regarding this business strategy. I'll be really appreciative if you spend some time to comment the thread.

Thanks!

Hi There,

I have worked for an Dutch engineering company where we engineered for OEM companies and endusers. The catch is to sell the knowledge of you and your people at companies who have need for extra capacity or specific knowledge to develop processes and products. In Holland it's interesting to hire people as you only have need for them for a specific time. An oppurtunity is when you know particular processes or products so your customer doesn't pay your learning curve. Prices in Holland are different form Ukraine, here you pay from 35 euros (just out of high school, junior mechanical engineer) to 100 euros for a senior system engineer (acadamic). Control or automation engineers ar between 50 and 80 euros (robotic programming)

hope this gives some info, otherwise feel free to ask for more

Lars

i've worked with companies that outsource alot of their engineering work. its not an uncommon practice in the US. the hardest part of doing the work is getting the job. once you have that then you are all set. personally i would find larger companies that need specialized work done. in ukraine your in an emerging economy right now, so bigger companies may not have figured out that its cheaper to outsource work than keep it in house.

Quote Originally Posted by Designbyx View Post
    Hi There,

I have worked for an Dutch engineering company where we engineered for OEM companies and endusers. The catch is to sell the knowledge of you and your people at companies who have need for extra capacity or specific knowledge to develop processes and products. In Holland it's interesting to hire people as you only have need for them for a specific time. An oppurtunity is when you know particular processes or products so your customer doesn't pay your learning curve. Prices in Holland are different form Ukraine, here you pay from 35 euros (just out of high school, junior mechanical engineer) to 100 euros for a senior system engineer (acadamic). Control or automation engineers ar between 50 and 80 euros (robotic programming)

hope this gives some info, otherwise feel free to ask for more

Lars
    Lars,

Thanks a lot for your comment.
    As I said before I took up launching a new business in this harsh economy situation however as you guys might know it's not that easy to make people believe you are a good partner to work with, that's why here still lots of work needs being done before I can see any progress. I talked to other people regarding this issue and almost just everybody expressed the idea that it's more important for vendors to be sure they can get their projects done on time than having a partner who comes cheap but without warranty of success. And you are absolutely right, current economy does its fair job for boosting such businesses as mine, that's why I've already set myself to work hard for bringing positive results.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Runner4404spd View Post
    i've worked with companies that outsource alot of their engineering work. its not an uncommon practice in the US. the hardest part of doing the work is getting the job. once you have that then you are all set. personally i would find larger companies that need specialized work done. in ukraine your in an emerging economy right now, so bigger companies may not have figured out that its cheaper to outsource work than keep it in house.
    Nice comment, Runner!

True -- the biggest challenge here is to find a sunny place in this tough competition. It's really good to get a western salary being in Ukraine. I am sure we can provide services with no less quality than US engineering companies do but the point is in the difference between quotes US and Ukrainian companies would give you. My work is to persuade people that we as a partner can make a good profit for them too, to help them cut costs and benefit.

All the best,

The first time a member stops by and the thread is about outsourcing work to his business overseas. It's so nice when somebody joins this board and wants to contribute something or asks a question that doesn't have money so clearly attached as a motive. Perhaps you should purchase some advertising space on the internet the way everybody else does.