584,829 active members*
5,330 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > design grad project: new breed of CNC design, need input

design grad project: new breed of CNC design, need input

I'm in 4th year industrial design and decided to make a new type of CNC machine as my grad project. I've already built a CNC so know the basics, but for now I'm focusing on the research part first before I can start the build.

My main goals would be:
    -make it truly portable, maybe the size of a small airplane luggage or even back pack??

-targeted for artists and designs; to bridge the gap between the client and the machine. The machine could directly make the art/design, not just create parts for it. (IE: bring the CNC to the surface/material instead of bringing the material to the CNC).

I need some research and opinions, this is where you guys come in. What do you wish a CNC can do, be improved upon, etc? Any opinions/wishes would be great, no matter how far fetched (for now). What tools besides a router would be cool/helpful? Did you ever wish a CNC was truly portable (you can go to the client's house instead of them coming to you, can engrave directly on the wall or other oversized surface)? Etc etc. Thanks in advanced!

how about a 3d printer that can print with metallic materials, through electrolysis? (hey, you said no matter how far fetched!)

some other crazy ideas:

- infrared thermometer for the bit
    - laser outline of the cut projected on to the work surface
    - actuated wheels instead of linear slides (so it can "walk" to another spot when it goes out of range)

I've thought of a roomba type cnc for engraving on concrete floors but keeping the x and Y aligned would be troublesome. The problem with a portable or collapsible cnc machine is alignment. You could make one inside of an aluminum box I guess, just would be heavy to lug around. Then there is noise. It would have to be some kind of spindle setup as a router is just too loud to take anywhere and use.

A robotic arm would probably be ideal for cncing on the go.

here's something to get your creative juices flowing! good luck with your final-year project, and most importantly have fun! I know I did...ah memories...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quN37YskoaM"]YouTube - Hexapod Robot CNC Router - Cutting 3D face[/ame]

i built a machine for a friend of mine a couple of years ago that was used to cut inlay into installed wood floors.. it used a vacuum to fix itself to the floor during cutting. it was about the dimensions you describe.it had encoders for positioning along the floor so that your pattern can go around the room. after the success i was going to make them for sale but there was no interest at the right price point. wood workers are the cheapest guys i have met. it used a 3.5 router head so that it could use existing router bits. it worked great

Quote Originally Posted by the4thseal View Post
    i built a machine...but there was no interest at the right price point. wood workers are the cheapest guys i have met...
    how true. well, maybe dentists are there at the top with them...

i built a machine for a friend of mine a couple of years ago that was used to cut inlay into installed wood floors.. it used a vacuum to fix itself to the floor during cutting. it was about the dimensions you describe.it had encoders for positioning along the floor so that your pattern can go around the room. after the success i was going to make them for sale but there was no interest at the right price point. wood workers are the cheapest guys i have met. it used a 3.5 router head so that it could use existing router bits. it worked great
    I would love to see pictures or videos of such a beast. You wouldn't happen to have any old ones sitting on your pc?

Thanks for the feedback so far. I know about potential alignment problems during setup with portable/collapsible CNC, but I think I have a solution for it.

the4thseal, I'd love to see the machine you made if possible. My teachers will ask examples of what's been done and so far I haven't found any similar ideas yet besides portable plasma cutters. Also what was your price point?

Also what else could a CNC do if there's another tool attached. Pen = plotter, knife = vinyl cutter, brush = painter?, etc

Keep the ideas coming!

Quote Originally Posted by nicanor76 View Post

Also what else could a CNC do if there's another tool attached. Pen = plotter, knife = vinyl cutter, brush = painter?, etc

Keep the ideas coming!
    You can turn an existing cnc machine into a 3d printer.

i will hunt for pics....when i made it i did not think of posting stuff... i will also look for drawings. it was fun to make ,,,, i will also see if i can get pics from my friend.

What about some sort of miniature spark erosion machine. The trick would be to make a tool for the z axis where the wire does not have to pass through the work piece. This way, you could do multiple passes to make your cut instead of a continuous full-depth cut. Imagine the super edge finish you could get! The kerf might have to be fairly wide to get a strong enough tool but there would be no actual cutting force on the tool. Just an idea, carry on

show use some design pictures of your deign sounds interesting