584,866 active members*
5,228 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need connector

I need some connectors for connecting my motors to the drives, what else is out their instead of Molex connectors that is better? I'd like 8 pins and need them to be panel mount.

I used VGA connectors

OH I should have added they need to handle 8 amps, VGA and serials are only good for 3 amps, I believe.

A DIN type connector, perhaps? These have up to 8 pins.

Arvid
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DINconn.jpg  

How many amps are they good for?

CNCadmin, what do you mean by better?

Molex I have used and am using, and they don't hold up very well, I need connectors that can be plugged and un-plugged many times (I'm not going into why), I just want to see what my other options are, I'm using serial connectors which are OK for lower amps.

Are you sure you need 8A? That's going to be hard to find in an 8 pin connector without spending $$$

I this for steppers or Servos? If you are talking 8 wire steppers then you can use 6 pin connectors and just wire the two center taps together in the plug housing. You can find 6 pin connectors with a 7A rating or higher pretty easy.
    Nathan

Have you looked at the Amp/Tyco CPC series? They claim up to 25amps (although that seems a bit high to me).
    They are reasonably priced an you can get inline and bulkhead style.
    example for a basic bulkhead and inline connector 206705-3 & 206705-1 9 contacts is $4.00 & $3.30 each plus you need the pins which you can solder or crimp without buying the special tool.
    There are alot of combinations in this series.
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Here are some Mouser Part Numbers for 8 Contact Rectangular Power Connectors rated at 10A.

538-38331-5608 @ $3.81
    538-38330-0508 @ $2.11

Will require a sqare hole and not the prettiest things. But should be plenty robust and practical.
    Nathan

Check out audio XLR connectors

These are three pin, rated for 15 amps at 125 volts! I know they don't have all the pins you want, but for motor power I think they are awesome!
    They have a positive locking too they SNAP into the socket.
    Check em out here: http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/sto...tegoryId=11469

Bob

CNCadmin,

Well I think you need to decide if the connectors "don't hold" means that the body falls apart, dislodges from it's panel, or ??....also "don't hold" could mean that the contacts fail after many insertions.

Each scenario results in a slightly different solution, if it's connector reliability (resulting from the contacts wearing out) then you need to find a connector that has low or reduced insertion force.

If your connectors are dislodging from their mounting then you'll need to determine if you are using the proper style connector (panel mount with tabs, with screws, with clips, etc.).

Just think of what you would tell a connector sales person about what you need.

Tighten down your specifications!

Well that is the whole reason for the post was to get idea's of options for connectors. With their being so many options and choose I not exactly sure what I'm looking for but I have specified the criteria, like a molex but but better quaility, those who have used them may know and areee with what I'm talking about.

XLR connectors look like a great choice as well as these molex- http://www.mouser.com/catalog/621/876.pdf .

there are XLR with 4 pins & are perfect for bipolars...

/F

digikey's website has a good parts search. just go to their site and click on parts search, then scroll down a bit till you see the connectors section.

you can narrow it down to the part you need by choosing the requirements one by one, like brand, series, number of contacts, termination type, etc...
    i use it even if i don't necessarily plan on purchasing from them.

Exactly what I dislike about the Digi-Key website (love their quick shipments)...the filters....they are cumbersome and eliminate any close choices...where when I see the part...though it's not exactly what I was looking for....I could modify my design for this other part. It's so much nicer to look for connectors and be able to flip through web pages and see what they have....

Look into the MIL-type AMP connectors like Al suggested. Rugged and durable.