585,906 active members*
3,632 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Thread mill programming software?

I currently use "greenfield" thread mills. I had a program that a guy that used to work there built in execl. You would plug in the necessary data and out would pop a thread mill program written in incremental g code. I currently run pro manufacturing and it will program a straight thread but a npt thread is not a standard feature. I have one from Melin tool but it only makes one pass? Does anyone know where to find this software?

Try Advent tool. I believe you can download their software. In the software you have the ability to enter a custom tool-your greenfield threadmill specs. Hope it works for you.

Smile

G'day
    Seco Carboloy has a free Thread Milling Wizard you cam download from their site
    http://www.carboloy.com/wizard/default.htm
    Oldjohn

Thanks guys,
    I downloaded the Carboloy software last week. I works good but only cuts in 1 pass. I downloaded the software from Advent tool and it id doing what I want. Both software's are good. The Advent is a good program. It is a little harder to use until you figure it out. The Carboloy is a easier software to use but I do some pretty small thread milling and it works better with two passes. Melin also has a free download but does one pass as well. So in closing, All three are good but the Advent software did what I needed.

Thank you.

You could use circular interpolation with a z move. Then step the pitch in z and do it all over again. Have used that before.

Sure you can do that if you are doing a standard thread. Try to do that with a pipe thread. You have a correctoin factor of between .0003 to .002 depending on what pipe thread your doing. This is why I use this software. I run pro e and it will do standard threads.

Micro100 has spreadsheets to write one or two pass programs for UN and NPT threads.

I found them when I did a Google search for "thread milling program". This thread came up about three lines below the Micro100 site.