585,973 active members*
3,920 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Autodesk > How do I edit a DWG drawing so I can add my toolpath drawing.

Arrow How do I edit a DWG drawing so I can add my toolpath drawing.

Hey guys,

I somehow did this the other day but can't figure it out right now. I have a part in a drawing; a DWG. (I think this is what I used the other day).

I want to edit the drawing without changing the part, I just want to now edi the drawing and add my circles and lines for my toolpath.

The other day I was able to click the center of a circle and then draw another circle, which is exactly what I want to do, But I can't figure it out now

Help anyone?

Thanks,

-Jason

You're using Inventor, right?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Yes Inventor 09' I just did it the other day and can't figure it out again. All I want is to not to edit the "part" sketch, but simply add my circles and lines while using the Part's center points and points of the sketch so I can get my toolpath lines.

-Jason

Tool path layers

I add a layer for each tool that I am going to use.

On the layers I draw the tool path for each tool.

Then I turn off all the layers except the tool I want and export that as a DXF file.

Dennis
    www.super-tech.com

Does anyone else have other suggestions on how to do this. I just did it the other day and can't figure it out.

Basically I want to look at the drawing. And use all the points of the 2d sketch to make circles and lines as toolpath.

So the other day I was able to click on a circle representing a pocket hole and use the center to make a circle around it ( As a sketch) so that would be my toolpath line.

I need to know how to do this by tomorrow.

I am not doing this for my CAM. I know a machinist who does it old school and manually puts everything in. So were going to start doing this tomorrow, but I need to know lol.

-Jason

Jason,

Do you get an import wizard when you open the dwg?

I'm doing this from memory

It's ask about AutoCad hit next, shows the drawing hit next, then you have to pick if you want a Drawing - Part - Tile Block etc...

Are you selecting Part or Drawing? - If you pick Drawing you can sketch over the featues and save back out as dwg.

Mark

No, I open the DWG in inventor and nothing pops up.

I'm trying to select the view (drawing) and trying to use the sketch feature, I can can sketch and everything I just can't get the drawing to have anchor points. Like circles that have an anchor point in the center, etc...

-Jason

I can't figure this out! I want to use the points of the 2D sketch to sketch new lines and circles over the existing 2d sketch. Very frustrating!

-Jason

Jason,

Just did it, took a DWG opened it in to a idw.

Double click on the drawing and it lets you edit using the original lines as anchor pts (circle centers are visible).

Maybe you missed the double click?

Mark

--- Hover over a line in the drawing then double click (drawing should change color if your in the right spot)

Can't get it to work. I'm trying it both in the IDW and DWG format, if I get the " view box" to show, which is basically the dashed lines around my part and double click Drawing View opens up.

If I try to double click on a line of the 2D sketch, nothing happens.

Sigh...I'm trying both in IDW AND dwg

all right try this...

if your in idw - expand the model tree - under Sheet 1 - I ended up with Sketch Symbols and ImportDraftView

Expand ImportedDraftView (or whatever you have)- right click on Visible Edges (again or whatever you have) and select edit

...your terms may vary, but poke around the model tree - hover over the names in the list and the items in the drawing viewer change color

another thought...

check the properties of the file itself, is it set to read-only?

Can't figure this out. I feel like it would be so easy to figure out! It should not be this hard!

I'm not sure how to check if it's ready-only or not.

-Jason

Still can't figure this out

-Jason