586,024 active members*
3,759 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Where to buy parts Jet JMD 18 drill/mill?

Where to buy parts Jet JMD 18 drill/mill?

Hello guys,
    My first post and need some help finding parts for a Jet JMD18 Drill/Mill. I was given the Mill and it's in nice/ok shape. I own a lathe but never done anything on a mill.

I'm taking it semi apart/cleaning it. There is no wear in the table screws or brass nuts. They are split nuts so i took up a couple of turns to tighten them a bit. The ways a fine no signs of any wear. I can't feel any play in the spindle but that's probably not a test. I was told it was mostly used as a drill press.

I need a table handwheel, a face plate, the handwheel for the spindle and a few other things. I would like factory replacement parts.

It took a while but the only place i found to buy parts is
    Walter Meier. I placed an order but i don't think it went thru. I called they said they will let me know in 48 hrs if they got the order, sorta funky if you ask me. Is there someplace else to order factory parts, is this place legit??

thanks!! joe

Joe,

Walter Meier is the importer and direct source for Jet here in the USA.

If you decide to purchase the parts from a dealer, they will order them from "WMH Tool Group" Walter Meier.

http://www.jetwilton.com/us/manufact.../about_us.html

They are legit.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Thank you Mr Jeff.. that's where i ordered - i was just a little nervous, i feel a lot better.. i'll go by what you have posted in your by-line, lol.

My plans are to make small parts with mostly aluminum, maybe small parts out of some soft steel or stainless. Probably a 4" square of stock will make anything i will do.

What kind of holding device for my cutting tools? i see sets of R-8 collets, I see a R-8 holder and you just change the collets. Then some cutting tools are R-8 with changeable carbide tips. Should i get a set of R-8 collets and find a set of end mills? I'm sorta lost on what to do to get started.

The only tool that came with the mill was a 5/8" jacobs chuck.
    Will a jacbos chuck hold a 5/8" end mill or will it just loosen and fall out and kill me?

I also need a vice to hold my work, any suggestions on "off shore" parts -limited budget. What general purpose vice do i need? I have been looking on e-bay. Lots of stuff for a mill and i am about to figure out some of it!
    thanks for the help. joe

Joe,

I would not suggest using a Jacobs chuck to hold a end mill.

R8 is very popular and they are relatively inexpensive.

Look for a used Kurt vise, they last for ever and are top shelf.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

thanks for the help. I got my eye out for a Kurt -whew they are kinda pricy.. called back to today and had to resubmit my order.
    thanks again
    joe