585,712 active members*
4,335 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Charge Pump Unstable?

Hi again everyone.
    I am very struggle with charge pump connection and hope if someone can help clarify.
    I use the break out board and set up Pin 17 (Low Enable) to use as charge pump which connect directly to the Solid state Relay (3-30Vdc).

I do get 3.2 Vdc when software is running.
    0Vdc when is not.

Solid state Relay connects to Magnetic Switch Coil (110V) which intended to cut off power to Driver.

Problem now is that when I actually connect the other end of Solid State Relay 110V to Magnetic Switch Coil (110V)....It keeps flipping ON / OFF /On /OFF.

Vice versa-- When I set to HIGH..it did the same thing.

Any help is appreciated?
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by cjchands View Post
    Hi again everyone.
    I am very struggle with charge pump connection and hope if someone can help clarify.
    I use the break out board and set up Pin 17 (Low Enable) to use as charge pump which connect directly to the Solid state Relay (3-30Vdc).

I do get 3.2 Vdc when software is running.
    0Vdc when is not.

Solid state Relay connects to Magnetic Switch Coil (110V) which intended to cut off power to Driver.

Problem now is that when I actually connect the other end of Solid State Relay 110V to Magnetic Switch Coil (110V)....It keeps flipping ON / OFF /On /OFF.

Vice versa-- When I set to HIGH..it did the same thing.

Any help is appreciated?
    Jeff
    The charge pump signal (Pin 17) should connect to the charge pump circuit on the breakout board, not the relay. Pin 17 would switch from on and off at a certain frequency to signal the BOB that the control software is working properly.

Hope this helps.

debetto

Debetto.
    Standard Parallel connect to the breakout board.

I have Pin 17 (output from the breakout board) and V+ connects to Solid State Relay (+3v-30Vdc).

Relay Turn on when programing running. (Measuring +3.2V)
    Relay Turn off when program stops. (Measureing +0v)

Up to this point...everything seem to be ok!!

HOWEVER....When I put load on the other end of solid state relay (110Vac this case) to shut off magnetic switch (POWER to the drive)... It flips on/off/on/off.....

What do you think happen?
    thanks
    Jeff

What is the part number of the SSR you are using?
    What is the exact nature of the load you are switching with the SSR?
    Put 5v directly on the input if the output stays on, this eliminates the SSR and the load and the problem would point to the nature of the input signal.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Hello Everyone. Thanks for feedback.
    I got it working now!!
    Have P17 and +V connect to Solid State Relay to shut off Power Supply to the Drive Directly. Which mean 3 axis..I need each separate Solid State Relays.

What I don't understand though is this....
    I am trying to do the same exact thing, but instead of connect my other end of solid state relay to each power AC to the drive, I try to shut off Only one Magnetic Switch that connect to all axis AC power(just so I don't need 3 separate solid state relays). Problem then is the Magnetic Switch keeps turning ON/OFF/ON/OFF....like crazy.

Any idea why this problem happen??
    Thank you
    Jeff C.

You still did not identify the components you are using?
    The SSR and the Relay part number?
    Also did you do the 5v test directly?
    Where are you controlling the AC to the drive? Are they all fed from one transformer or power supply?
    Al.

Albert E.

What is the manufacture and P/N of the magnetic switch?
    Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

Hi Again guys..
    Here is the information:

Solid State Relay SSR-10DA, Input 3-30Vdc, Output 380Vac (brand: Salser)
    Magnetic Switch SRC 3631-5-1, coil 100V (brand: Fuji)
    Relay 1315-4c, 5A 30Vdc (brand: Kolke, Guardian)

(current setup: Charge pump -- Solid State Relay -- Direct Power to Driver (220Vac)

I measure 3Vdc (pin 17, V+) when MACH 3 is ok.
    -2Vdc when MACH 3 is in emergency mode.
    +4.8V when PC shut down

Thanks for feedback.
    Jeff.

I believe what is happening is that when you shut the 120vac off with the relay you are also dropping your coil voltage out, this would cause what you are describing.
    Al.

Albert E.

Sounds like you don't have an issue with the charge pump driving the SSR because of the one configuration working.

If I read your post correct, you said you had problems regardless of the state of the charge pump, hi or low. Can you scetch up a schematic of how you were wiring the ssr output, magnetic switch, relay and loads?

Red face

Thanks again for more feedback.
    I have attached my wiring diagram..
    This is my first time ever use the software to draw.
    I actually spent good half a day drawing this
    Due to lack of knowing for all the symbols..hopefully you guys understand it.
    Please comment.

I currently have only 1 charge pump on 1 test axis...and look like it does work.
    I am planning to put separate solid state relay on each axis.
    But connect all input to P17 and V+. So hopefully they all turn off when it should be.
    Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PowerElectronicWiring_ShizuokaREV1.jpg  

There are a few things that do not add up with the dwg. Maybe due to the incorrect drawing of the symbol?
    For example, you show the 3 phase isolation transformer for the drives and it does not show a transformer star connection for the drive return?
    You have shown a ground symbol for the return of what I take is the star point of the feeder transformer.
    Hopefully this is a mistake in showing what should be a star point set up as a neutral?
    You should never use the ground as a conductor, even though the neutral is actually at ground potential.
    IOW, all the points you show with a Earth ground symbol should be a neutral conductor.
    The Earth ground symbol used at the drives, implies that the commons of the 3 drives are at the same potential as the 380v common point.
    I do not see the SSR in the dwg, only the contact depiction to the drives.
    I would have used a 380/120v transformer for local 120vac supply, one side of the secondary could be set up as a local grounded neutral.
    The E-stop would have dropped out the main 3 phase contactor which would be on the drive side of any auxiliary supplies, 120vac, 24vdc etc, these would remain live in the case of an E-stop.
    All commons and neutrals etc would go to a central Earth ground point, that should be at actual ground potential.
    Al.

Albert E.

What is the input power requirements of the drives?

Another couple of points come to mind, why not use a the output of the watchdog/charge pump to operate a 24vdc relay via a small buffer transistor, 2N7000, if necessary, this would use a N.O. contact in the E-stop string, the E_stop string could switch the coil of the 3 phase contactor, add an auxiliary contact to the contactor and feed the E_stop input back to the control to advise of E_Stop.
    Place any other E_Stop switches in the series string to the contactor coil, this way you kill several birds with one stone!.
    Al.

Albert E.

Al
    Thank you very much for excellent comment.
    I will revise my circuit.

But my important point.

My current setup is for Power to the drive is incorrect like you said.
    I still get reading about 140Vac though from Ground to single output transformer which it appears to work.

Anyway, I am planing to change it to transformer 1Ph primary 220V line input to secondary 110V output (2KW) instead of 3Phrase 380V-220V.
    Then all 3 Drives are running off from this transformer. This should do.

I will revise new schematic and hopefully could get new addition comment.
    Thank you.

Red face

Hello everyone.
    Finally brought new transformer 220V - 110V single Phrase (2.5KW).
    My drive power supply is 80V-220Vac, so this should do.
    I can't find the SSR symbol on my software..but I use 3 different SSR (10A) to cut off power to the DRIVE from same Charge Pump Pin 17 and V+.
    Thank you for the other comment, I'll see if I can tweak it to make it better.

But so far, with this schematic...would there be any problem, i wonder...?
    Thank you
    Jeff C.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PowerElectronicWiring_ShizuokaREV2.jpg  

I am still not sure why you are switching both the primary and the secondary?
    The relay or contactor on the primary side should be sufficient.
    I prefer to keep all E_stop in low voltage, you have a 24vDC power supply, set up a 24v relay at the end of the E_stop string, this would have the charge pump contact and E_stop buttons and any thing else you want to cause an E_stop.
    A contact on the 24v Relay would be fed back to the Mach E_stop input.
    Al.

Albert E.