585,930 active members*
3,918 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

30 taper tooling

I recently purchased a Clausing CNC mill and I'm in the process of setting it up. I takes ISO 30 taper tooling. I'm a little confused because there are so many different types of 30 taper tooling. I realize that the actual taper is the same on all of them. However, there are different flange types.
    I've seen BT, NMTB, Erickson, and CAT V tooling. Which ones are interchangeable, and which ones would fit my machine?

Does this machine have a manual drawbar? Is it the threaded end type? If not what sort of pull stud does the machine use? Does this machine have an automatic toolchanger?
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

The drawbar is pnuematic (Kurt brand). So, it is threaded and does not use a pull stud.

There is not a toolchanger, as this is a CNC knee mill.

The toolholders that were used in the machine (they didn't come with the machine) looked similar to a BT. There was not a straight shank above the taper, as with the NMTB.

I beleive the BT will fit, but I'm not sure about the difference in the flange between the CAT V and the BT. Why are these flanges different?

Thanks

You will be able to use any 30 taper tooling you want with 1 possible glitch in your situation. You will have to make sure that your thread is either metric or imperial to match your drawbar and that your drawbar will catch enough threads on the toolholder or on the other hand be threaded through too far.

Example: I have a 40 taper machine here that I use ISA, BT, & CAT tooling in. The ISA & CAT are imperial thread and the BT Metric. I have 2 drawbars, 1 metric and 1 imperial. Also my drawbars have a jam-nut on the top end so I can adjust the screw length because the ISA is about an inch longer than the CAT but uses the same drawbar.
    You having a power drawbar kinda leaves you stuck with picking 1 style and making it work.

The flanges on the holders are only of importance if you have a machine with a toolchanger as the changers are designed to grip the tooling on its flange characteristics. Toolchangers are commonly designed to hold either CAT or BT.

Hope this helps
    www.integratedmechanical.ca