585,589 active members*
3,062 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Advice on new setup

I’m looking to buy a used cnc knee mill or a used knee mill and convert it to cnc.
    I’m trying to run a (small) error free production of milling aluminum profiles to fit various door locks and handles. It gets to be hard work when you have to route a series of different holes by one of the 50 or so templates I now use. The area I work is limited to about 8” wide by 24” long. I always loved CNC and think my time has come.

I’m looking for advice on how to set up the process to make it easy for the “end user”. I do have my templates in Corel X3 and can export to DXF. I now somehow need to get these into a library to make it user-friendly to pick one in Mach 3 (?), set the material, push the button, and come back 10 minutes later. Can this be done at my level of hopefully below 10k and some good time spend building and learning.

I do know a played around with CNC break-out boards, Gecko drives and stepper motors. I’m just not sure if the “new hobby route” or the “used professional route” is the better way to go,….

I'm putting this with the Brigdeport threads as it seems like the way to go, or should I consider looking at a different mill? Thanks for any advice to put me on track for more research and spending my money well.

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by StefanV View Post
    I’m looking to buy a used cnc knee mill or a used knee mill and convert it to cnc.
    I’m trying to run a (small) error free production of milling aluminum profiles to fit various door locks and handles. It gets to be hard work when you have to route a series of different holes by one of the 50 or so templates I now use. The area I work is limited to about 8” wide by 24” long. I always loved CNC and think my time has come.

I’m looking for advice on how to set up the process to make it easy for the “end user”. I do have my templates in Corel X3 and can export to DXF. I now somehow need to get these into a library to make it user-friendly to pick one in Mach 3 (?), set the material, push the button, and come back 10 minutes later. Can this be done at my level of hopefully below 10k and some good time spend building and learning.

I do know a played around with CNC break-out boards, Gecko drives and stepper motors. I’m just not sure if the “new hobby route” or the “used professional route” is the better way to go,….

I'm putting this with the Brigdeport threads as it seems like the way to go, or should I consider looking at a different mill? Thanks for any advice to put me on track for more research and spending my money well.

Stefan
    A couple of things stand out in no particular order.

1. 24" in the X will limit you which used mill to buy. My BTC-1 and the Boss series of mills are only 18" in the X IIRC. A series 1 Jhead may go 24" BUT I am not sure.

2.Mach3 has a load G-code button on the main screen. If you just put the cnc files in this folder they will be very easy to find. It also has a recent file if you need to find the last few file just run.

3.This is what I would get if I could afford it.
    http://www.ihcnc.com/pages/cnc-mill.php
    It is 10K in turn key form but you will be making chips about a day after it arrives.

4. If looking for a used cnc mill, consider finding one with a tool changer.
    Mine has one but it needds to be integrated nto the system. If a part requirse a lot of tool changes, you will spend a lot of time just changing tools. It is of course a lot less than the time you are currently putting truning handles.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

CNC MILL

Hello Stefan have a look round to see if you can pick up a Brigdeport EZ-Trak preferably 3 Axis as this will cover your movement requirements. A 48 inch bed will give you 30" x12" travel they are not to big a machine easy to program with conversational programs and it will be easy to store and select your profiles and if it has the later software the option to convert a DXF file straight in and convert to a machining file. And I would think you could pick one up within your 10 K budget ready to run. Cheers Colin

I have a Series II CNC and it would have the travels you need(30 x 15) but if you need several tool changes than you sure would want to look at a miachine with a tool changer.
    I have mine running with Mach 3 with a B.O.B and I feel it works great.
    Its a hefty machine and cuts well.
    Maybe one of the BP machining centers with a tool changer would work for you,not sure which one will get you into the travel you need.
    I have a TC-22 that I really like and its travel is fine for most of what I do.
    It is nice to just setup a part and push a button then come back when its done.Granted the first one takes a little time for setup and programming but the rest go fast.Travel on it is less than you need but these machines can be had pretty cheap right now.

As mentioned it's for the locks in aluminum profiles to make doors. Sometimes, added to these locks are extra security bolts making them a bit longer than usual. Ideally, I should have an 8ft long bed to make sure I can add additional deadbolts all the way to the top or bottom, but my solution for that would be a Tigerstop. These are always 1-2-3 of a kind max, so the operator is never to far away to change the position using the Tigerstop and start a next "template"

So 18" would probably be enough.

I added the IH CNC Mill to my list of options. One thing I don't see them make reference to is g-code. I once made a small "homebrew" cnc router and was using Mach3 to run it. I hope one day to have a big 4x8ft cnc table to cut plywood. I'm just figuring that I like the idea of Mach3 to be the standard interface in order to have a single learning curve.

Aren't there any CNC mills that allow you to add your own control box? I have a home build 4 channel controller with Gecko G202 steering, 70v 800va power supply. And of course add your own computer and Mach3? It would have to be steppers if I want to go G202.

Tool changer,... For now i just drill a pilot hole and start routing all around my template. From that point of view I would not need a tool changer. Trying to figure how it would be useful for the door operation.

I like the sound of the Series II with Mach3 and your own BOB Steppers or Servos?

On a machining center like the TC-22, does it handle my long 8ft stock? I figured the open type knee mill would be easier for me.

Thanks for the advice.

Stefan

The Series II uses the original BP steppers and drives.
    I bought the BOB from Hillbilly on here.
    It was easy o instal and get running.
    The TC-22 wouldn,t let you cut long stock because of the enclosure.
    I am sure there are many machines that will work well for you,I just like the BP machines,there is always help out there to get used parts and there are some great guys on here that are willing to help out.
    Good Luck with whatever you choose!

Quote Originally Posted by StefanV View Post

I added the IH CNC Mill to my list of options. One thing I don't see them make reference to is g-code. I once made a small "homebrew" cnc router and was using Mach3 to run it. I hope one day to have a big 4x8ft cnc table to cut plywood. I'm just figuring that I like the idea of Mach3 to be the standard interface in order to have a single learning curve.

Aren't there any CNC mills that allow you to add your own control box?

Stefan
    1.I am pretty sure that IH uses Mach3 for its control program.
    2. I also think the IH will sell you a non turn key solution. Just give them a call or drop them and email.

If 18" in the X is enough, then you could look for a used cnc machine or convert a manual machine.

If you are near CT, I have a manual J-head machine for sale that would be OK for conversion.
    PM me if interested.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Quote Originally Posted by tpmx57 View Post
    The TC-22 wouldn,t let you cut long stock because of the enclosure.
    I have the same machine and I run parts that are square tubing 75" long. I made a special curtain to retain coolant splashes with the long material protruding out the side window. You just need to be very careful to make sure all X and Y moves do not ram your part into the sheet metal enclosures.

Great advice, looking through the forum, I'm getting to know myself better
    Part of me want to hobby CNC, part of me needs to make those aluminum door posts.

I really want to get into a Bridgeport or similar, I might do the conversion myself and definitely will add my controls and my computer,.... that time will come, hopefully soon.

For the door posts, I just need a machine that will do the job and do just that. I emailed with Novakon, and they advice to go with the NM-200. However, needing what I need (milling up to 1/8 Alu stock, 1-2-3 units at a time) and just that, I was wondering if the Novakon NM-135 will do the job. 6000rpm, 1.5 HP.

Anyone can back me up on this one?

Stefan