585,931 active members*
5,517 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > How do I?...re-tuning a dual drive gantry machine.

How do I?...re-tuning a dual drive gantry machine.

I have a CNT motion systems router that I've had for years and years (2001ish), and had problems with for years also. The problems have been long enough that I don't really recall when they started but here is the symptoms:

I have "scalloping" on curves and diagonals. I just repacked the anti-backlash ballscrew that travels across the gantry this morning (which helped on the circles, diagonals not so much), and the bearings are running fairly smooth (still due for switching out with some spares), so I am sort of back to motor tuning.

One of the reasons for I am looking at tuning is that the scalloping is not consistent along the edge, a little worst at the beginning of the the line, as it might be with a servo settling after a sharp turn. Unfortunately, I cannot figure out how to tell what axis is the cause (or maybe both are partly to blame)

So, while any other suggestions are welcome, I have two questions specifically:

1) how do I tune a dual motor setup.....I tried with upping the accelerations to crazy high in the control and running a back and forth pattern to try and match what the servo software was doing....that software only will work one motor at a time. Maybe that's the method....but I know guys here will probably know if it is the best way or suggest a better way.

2) What type of oscilliscope do I need. I bought a little all-electric model that was barely use-able for the task, so I thought I might need/want to pick up a better unit, hopefully in the $100-200 range off ebay or something....suggestions welcome.

Hoping to get the machine back into 100% condition, thanks for any help guys!

Re: How do I?...re-tuning a dual drive gantry machine.

Gfacer...Send an email to [email protected], I may have some ideas for you. Send the current WinCNC.ini file if you can.
    Gary Campbell CNC Technology & Training
    GCnC411 (at) gmail.com www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos