585,931 active members*
5,468 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Servo Drive Mode (MIXED)

Is possible to run XYZ drives in Velocity Mode and A(Rotary) in Current(Torque) Mode and all axis still be synchronous.
    All Motors are servo DC
    The drive cards can be set to current or velocity.
    The reason I ask Rotary Motor (A Axis) does not have tach output but does have encoder

Thanks
    Roger

Re: Servo Drive Mode (MIXED)

Sure.

Thanks for the reply Mike

I have another problem that I have ran into, on my 4th axis I'm using and external Baldor power supply and driver. Sending tach to the drive. getting my signal from my control +-10 and sending encoder data back to control. My control has Westamp boards and xyz motors have 9.5 volt tachs. My motor on the 4th has 7 volt tach. I have extra machine drives but for some reason can not get the drive to tune to the 4th axis motor. I can get it tuned fine with the external power - drive.

Do the Westamp drives not like the 7 volts tach feedback?

Thanks
    Roger

Shud be adjust pot for tach... what does "cant tune mean?"

Mike
    Can't tune is that the tach pot adjustments seem to be having no effect of stopping motor rotation, its not a runaway problem.
    The Drives all have tach adjust pots, I have tried to adjust thinking that is how the different tach voltages of the motors are dealt with.
    I'm starting to think maybe the tach wire built into the machine (pre wired 4th axis) maybe the problem but I would think that would act like a runaway problem , being that with the external power supply and drive the tach loop I'm running tach wire straight from motor to the drive, and works fine.

I guess what I'm asking is the different tach voltages just comped for with tack adjust pot??? I have read something about tack scaling on drives and was thinking maybe that be the problem. but if the tach pot adjustments handle that, then maybe feed wire problem.

I thought that the Westamp drives had the option of velocity or current like the Baldor external drive but think they don't as far as I can figure now.

Thanks again for the reply
    Roger

Roger that Roger! 10-4!

I know we all say "real men don't need to read no stinking manual," but when all else fails, just maybe.... Or as others more crudely suggest. RTFM.....

Hahemm... DO you have a manual? IIRC, the old Westamp manuals had REAL good how to adjust the drives, including ALL the pots, even the one that will stop slow rotation issueyou have (hint: it ain't the tach pot)

If you need a manual, give an email address and ask for it.

You will find the tach adjustment has NOTHING to do with slow uncommanded rotation. Your wiring is probably fine since you DO have controlled slow rotation. Those old Westamps DO have choice of current or velocity control....

Seriously, you are point where you need to follow the easy step by step adjusting shown in their manual in my opinion.

I do have manuals on adjusting as a matter of fact you emails me one about a year and a half ago Thanks

Have adjusted my other drives xyz before with no problems the anilam control has on screen scope to help also..

The thing that seems strange is that I get sig to external drive (using patch wire) but when but when drive connected to machine prewired sig wire no rotation unless sig pot increased.

Maybe will check machine sig wiring (4th axis prewired) for no signal to drive board.

On the Westamp drives to config for Current Mode is there a jump pin that needs to be changed (position) or just run without tach wires?? The manual seems a little light on explantion in that area or am I just missing something??

Thanks
    Roger Roger (out)

Roger Roger out,

Good luck getting it running; I am sure you will win this fight!

That said, I am not a Westamp expert by any means! You are now asking specific questions that would require me to open a copy of their old manual and study to give further intelligent replies: that's just not in the cards right now on this wonder 60 degree day with my shooting range just BEGGING for some action this afternoon!

If it were me, I would set the tach pot in the middle and forget it for now - you only need to move it if you cannot get to max speed....

I would adjust the zero pot to stop motion (with analog command input termnals shorted)...

I would set any gain pots fully CCW...

I would then give a command to go say 100rpm and begin increasing the command input, scaling, whatever IT is called to get the control +/-10v command to make motion...

But that's just me without reading their manual. Good luck!

What system is the machine running?
    Westamp drives develop problems with age, Do you have the Westamp manual?
    Modern drive such as A-M-C which replace the Westamps run in torque mode and no Tach, although they have tach capability.
    What model Baldor drive are you using, I have never come across a Baldor drive that was really suited to servo control.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

The Baldor Unit is a LD2-01S 15 amp (power drive combo unit)
    I have manuals and have tried many many many adjustments the strange thing I have notice is when the Baldor is unit hooked up the control outputs a zero volt with no command as it should.
    When I use the Westamp board the control puts out 10 volt with no command... I'm going to hook the forth axis drive to a 9.5 tack feedback motor and see what happens.

4th axis works fine with baldor drive
    Anilam 1400 control

Thanks for the thoughts

RAF.

This is very f2f off err e

Sorry cell phone kybrd.... this not what u described earlier.

10v command means it is phased wrong!

Swap motor leads first thing.

Thanks Mike
    I'll give that a try in the morning I sure hope its that simple

Roger

Is it morning yet?

yes morning came and gone----- this another morning ----- had to getaway from it for a bit....let brain quit smoldering------

But gaining

reversed motor leads and seemed to solve the +-10 with no command so I thought great so installed that driver into machine power supply and wiring and same problem again. put driver back to external supply and problem back problem...hum so the motor wire switch seemed to work... going to trace and check continuity and polarity of internal machine 4th axis wiring and try again.
    So went back to the Baldor drive and starting over------------- persistence will win
    will keep posed on progress
    Thanks Mike

will keep posted

I trouble shoot amps that use the ±10vdc analogue control with a battery box using two 9v batteries and a 10k pot, first use this to test and tune the drive, no controller connected, if a tach is used then this can be tuned and phased correctly so no runaway etc.
    Then if the control is connected and runaway occurs it is usually because the analogue signal requires reversing or phasing correctly. WRT the encoder feedback.
    The tach/velocity mode of motor control has an inner loop, motor-drive-tach which is tuned first and then the outer loop is the PID loop, Motor-encoder-controller and tuned last.
    The torque mode only has the PID loop to tune, so no inner/tach loop.
    Al..
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

As Al points out, you have TWO loops when hooked to your machine controller to make sure are phased properly.... One is the motor armature and tacho, the other is totally independent of that and is the analog command itself and the encoder direction....

so if you made 10v saturation go away with motor lead swap, sounds like you got the armature/tach phase right.

Now swap the command from control to the drive to try reversing the position loops command/encoder phase...

As Al suggests, if this does not immediately 'fix' the major run away (as shown by 10v command again), then step back and take off the command wires. wire in a 1.5V AA battery instead. verify the motor/tach phase is still good this way. reverse battery polarity to verify direction of slow motor rotation reverses... Once THAT verified, then you can go on to the controller giving the command and getting it worked out...

Think I got it figured --- Ran external wiring for tac and motor and patched direct to drive and walaw:banana::banana: works --- checked cont on tac wire of internal wire and motor wires and all checked ok.

hooked up to bottom cab amphersol plug and no worky darn:drowning: ran external tac wires no worky. Reconnected . Ran external motor wires and works.!!!! :wee::wee::wee:

must be a problem in ampersol plug or cab internal motor wires, so should be easy fix now....

:tired::tired:

Thanks much for all your help

Roger and out (I hope)