585,722 active members*
4,184 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Rutex Products > Servo Drives > Control Cabinet almost finished.

Control Cabinet almost finished.

The motors and 4th axis drive drive should be here on 14 march. I still need to put in a 24vdc power supply, and that should be about it. Any question, critique's, or suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P3130076.JPG  

man that is a monster transformer! and I noticed your relay is that three phase? love those rutex boards man they are so compact.

are the three smaller transformers for the motors or what?

That monster runs all 4 motors @ 120VDC. The three smaller ones are inductors for each motor. Rutex has just advised me not to use them, so they will be removed. Yes the larger relay is 3 PHase for the 3 hp spindle motor, and the smaller one is for coolant pump. Today I got the 24 power supply for the relays installed. I put the relay coils on a separate toggles with led's for the coolant and spindle so I can disable them to "dry run". Also installed a panel locking disconnect switch for the main power. So far I have just under $2000.00 in the control. That includes the motors, and everything in the pic. The only items that I did not purchase wer the cabinet the monster power supply and the capacitor.
    I own a machine shop with several cnc's and have done some very basic troubleshooting, but have never done any kind of electronic work at all. I hope all this goes well. Kent

I wasn't aware that you needed to transform 120v ac to 120vdc unless of corse your not in U.S. then i would say nevermind

there are probably alot of shop owners in this forum. I own a medium small company (getting bigger monthly) and I am just doing this for a hobby! (ya, I am a sick bastard! )

just started this stuff so I could say keep from being board in the 2 or 3 seconds of spare time I have. and to brush up on my electronics (which I have forgoten almost everything)

AC or DC depends on the servo motor. AC motors and the electronics to drive them are much more expensive. My motors just happen to run at 120VDC. You can get servo motors in a wide variety of voltages.

Could you please let me know where you got your formula or procedure to size your power supply? Is it basically the same route as for sizing a power supply for a stepper system? Thanks you again for the help.
    JohnD.

Quote Originally Posted by miljnor
    I wasn't aware that you needed to transform 120v ac to 120vdc
    You would need an isolation transformer even if you want to provide 120vac into the power supply as generally you would make the DC common to ground, if you did this from straight off the 120v supply you would blow the rectifier due to one side of the AC also being grounded.
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.