584,812 active members*
5,198 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Gecko Drives

Gecko Drives

I am looking for input on the Gecko 201 drives..... getting ready to purchasesteppers.... looking for opinions as to the gecko, and what it is compatible with as fas as steppers... )polar,bipolar, etc...)

ANY SUGGESTIONS are appeciated

The Gecko 201 is a bipolar chopper drive. You can use both unipolar or bipolar motors with it. So any 4, 6 or 8 wire stepper motors will be fine.

I use the Gecko servo drives (G320). I have had no problems with Gecko drives at all. I'm very happy with them.
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)
    http://www.homecnc.info

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I am getting ready to purchase the Gecko 201 But my application may be larger than most. I am needing to power Sigma 42 motors. These have 2698 oz/in. Will these produce enough power? The motor is capable of using 7.4 amp per phase in series.
    The motors are original on this machine with 1/2" lead ball screws. Or do you know of a better solution?

The Gecko drives will handle 80 VDC at 20 amps max. If this falls within your motor specs then they will be fine.
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I think the gecko 201 is actually good for 80 volts, 7 amps. This is a little under the rated current of the motor. I think you can derate the drive with a pot to under 7 amps and you should be ok. The motor won't develop maximum torque. I am sure you will need some heat sinks.

I would contact gecko first, to see what they recommend.

Eric
    I wish it wouldn't crash.

In my previous post I faild to mention the Sigma motors operate at 65v. This is my first machine restore project and I have not worked with stepper motors before that I did not purchase from the same company that made the drives. I normally purchase my products from Pacific Scientific but this time I am working on a tighter budget (the wife knows).

Oh you are correct Balsaman, I was confused by something
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)

cnc tech,

Can you measure the coil resistance of those motors?

Jeff,

The 320's are good for 20 amps.

Eric
    I wish it wouldn't crash.

Jeff,

Thanks for the input. I spoke with Geckodrive today. He explained the 201's will work fine if I put large heatsinks. He also told me with all the mass I'm moving with these motors I have to put in a zener diode so the back feed on deceleration don't cook the drive.
    I'll have my drives sometime next week since they are moving and will not ship any product before Thursday the 26th.