585,556 active members*
3,560 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > ver 23 and laptop

Question ver 23 and laptop

Hi,
    Is anyone using ver.23 with a laptop computer?
    any problem with it?
    I m upgrading from ver 21. and thinking of buying a laptop for convenience as I cant afford 2 seats (home and shop).
    P.S. My desktop will still run Mach 3.
    thanks

I am running V23 Pro on a HP G60 (2.2ghz AMD) dual core Laptop with 3 gigs ram and VISTA Home Premium ......No issues to report runs great!!!!

Robert

v23 and laptop

Claude,
    I am running v23 (under windows XP pro SP3) on a unibody 13-in macbook, specifically 2 gigs of RAM and intel core 2 duo processors, driving an nvidia9400 video board.

The latest nvidia drivers (I thlnk they were released at the end of August this year) were critical, otherwise bobcad crashed immediately after any solid or surface action, or even after a minute or two of fooling around.

I've been good for several weeks now, from design through posted code with no problems that weren't either me or the learning curve. I think the video compatibility is super important, and bobcad puts the specs for that on their website, even though there is the disclaimer about not supporting laptops. The macbook 13-in screen is 1280x800 resolution, and is a good size but I wouldn't go smaller. I also hook mine up to a 32-in dell flatpanel for 'detail work' (read: watching movies) but I've done it actually using bobcad for real as well.

I do run mach3 on the laptop as well, to simulate and verify the g-code but don't run my mill from the laptop, just a dedicated little dell.

Loving my setup, except for the bobcad dongle. Oh well.
    Best of luck to you!
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Claude Boudreau View Post
    Hi,
    Is anyone using ver.23 with a laptop computer?
    any problem with it?
    I m upgrading from ver 21. and thinking of buying a laptop for convenience as I cant afford 2 seats (home and shop).
    P.S. My desktop will still run Mach 3.
    thanks
    Curious!!

Why buy the Laptop?? Why not just carry the "Dongle" from Home to Work and back along with a memory "Stick" for the files???

Just a thought

Unhappy dongle

I havent received v.23 yet , but its my understanding it only come with a dongle if you pay extra.
    I do carry my files with a memory stick.
    With only one seat I have to choose between home or the shop computer, witch is not convenient if you have to re-write the g-code or something.

P.S. It would probably cost less to buy a dongle with ver.23 than a laptop but I would be worried about loosing it as bobcad state they dont replace lost or stolen dongle. You have to buy v.23 again!

Quote Originally Posted by Claude Boudreau View Post
    I havent received v.23 yet , but its my understanding it only come with a dongle if you pay extra.
    I do carry my files with a memory stick.
    With only one seat I have to choose between home or the shop computer, witch is not convenient if you have to re-write the g-code or something.

P.S. It would probably cost less to buy a dongle with ver.23 than a laptop but I would be worried about loosing it as bobcad state they dont replace lost or stolen dongle. You have to buy v.23 again!
    When you buy the V23 you get the option of having the software loaded onto a single machine and an "Authorization code" supplied to activate it or you can have the "Dongle" like I have, I have the same issues and yes, I agree there is always the risk of losing the "Dongle" which does scare me a little but it`s that or pay for an extra "seat"!!!

Regards
    Rob

Too late for you now, but when negotiating next time, keep telling them to throw in the extra dongle. Say no thanks when they won't. After the 3rd call back, you will get it for free or for next to nothing. Ours was free.

Quote Originally Posted by dcskid View Post
    Too late for you now, but when negotiating next time, keep telling them to throw in the extra dongle. Say no thanks when they won't. After the 3rd call back, you will get it for free or for next to nothing. Ours was free.
    Yeah, what he said, LOL

Seriously I don't expect that they would just offer it to you but it never hurts to ask. I asked for 2 and got it. I don't even use the other one but I'd never dream of trying to sell it, it's too important to not have a backup plan in case it breaks, gets lost, etc. I routinely leave the laptop at work and just take my dongle (and USB backup) home to work there. Very convenient.

I'll 3rd that. Number 1 rule with bobcad is bargain your buttocks off. After a few hours, you'll get whatever you need for next to nothing.