585,749 active members*
3,865 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tree > Tree J325- First time start up-Help

Tree J325- First time start up-Help

I am new to the Tree J325 with a Dynopath Delta 20. I just powered up the machine and have the following in the fault status. Please walk me through clearing the faults so I can reset the machine and move on to the next challenge

Fault:
    -Emergency Stop
    -Enter reset to continue
    -Air pressure low
    -Z axis over travel

I don’t have the air hooked up yet, what pressure should I set the regulator? I have reset the Emergency stop on the control and it seems to be working properly.

I run 90 PSI on my J325. There's an interlock to stop the machine from operating without correct air pressure.

It sounds like you may need to clear the Z limit switch. Is the quill retracted so much that the bottom of the ground surface of the quill is higher than the chrome plate that bolts onto the underside of the ram? Or is the quill extended quite a lot? Behind the quill you'll find a round steel disc on the underside of the ram. There's a hole in the middle of it and a 5 or 6mm Allen wrench will stick up into that and engage a matching socket in the bottom of the ball screw. Then you can turn it and move the quill off the limit switch.

I've never used the Dynapath control so I don't know how to advise you on that. It will ask you to home the machine. There are arrows on the front of the table and the carriage that let you center the table for X home and there is a sheetmetal arrow on the right side of the knee that you align the front edge of the carriage with for Y home. Having the bottom of the quill even with the chrome ring is Z home.

cheers,
    Michael

still working on the Z axis over travel

I have the air hooked up and have cleared that error.

I still have the following:
    -Emergency Stop
    -Enter reset to continue
    -Z axis over travel

I retracted the quill up (it was down about ½”) to where the zero reference should be at the bottom of the chrome plate, hit reset and still have the error.

I took off the inspection plate and I can see that the e-stop for the quill is making contact. At least I believe that it is an e-stop I am looking at. It has a bolt that travels between to contacts as the quill moves up and down. With the quill at zero as I mentioned above, ½ of the screw is making contact with the top stop.

I rolled the quill on and off of the contact and tried hitting reset again. I still can not clear the Z axis over travel error.

I can not jog anything on the machine. I assume that I will not be able to until I clear all the error messages. Is this correct?

My J325 had a single magnetic proximity switch in the head. The manual shows setting it for a .030-.035" air gap between the switch and the triggering bolts. But if you've got the switch well away from the trips that shouldn't be an issue. Maybe you've got a shorted switch that is showing contact all the time? I'm not sure just how that kind of switch works internally and whether it is normally closed or normally open.

The manual references black wire 257, brown wire 200 and blue wire 4. There's a note in my J425 cabinet that 200 is +24v, but don't presume that will hold on your J325.

I wouldn't be surprised that you won't get things to power until you get the errors cleared.

cheers,
    Michael

I believe you are correct and it is a proximity switch I am looking at. I will check for the .030-.035" gap at the triggering bolts. I was also thinking it may be a bad switch or a bad wire connection.

Thank you for the specs on the gap. I do not have a manual for the machine. I need to figure out how I can check to see if the switch is working properly. I am sure someone on this forum can explain it to me in a way that even I can understand.

John

make sure the e-stop button is pulled out from the controller and verify the doors to the control cabinet are closed. move the quill away from its end of travel by turning the motor pulley. (not sure how to access this on a J325)

at that point, just push the reset button once or twice and you should get the "fault status" display. press "0" to get to the main screen to start referencing you axes.