585,908 active members*
3,891 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Tools / Tooling Technology > CNC Tooling > What type of tool holder is this???

What type of tool holder is this???

Hi all I am new to the CNC mill stuff, I just acquired a SuperMax YCM-40 CNC Mill. I am trying to identify what type of tool holder this machine is using so I can get more. I have googled it but all I get is ran around in circles and no answers. I been to a few shops in the area and they have no idea but think it is a 40 taper. I have only used R8 type holders in the past.

This has the numbers 40 EM 0.375 E it appears to have a 1/2" thread, Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Looks like an Erickson Quick Change or NMTB #40 taper, can be used with a draw bar
    or locking nut at nose of spindle.. That would be my guess at least.

It is a 40 Taper holder, for a manual milling machine and uses a drawbar placed thru the spindle, with 1/2" BSW os UNC thread into the rear of the holder, to secure it in the machine

The pull-stud is replaced with the extra bit on the back of the taper making it useless for a CNC machine

Hi Clancy64 thanks for the reply, can you tell me what is the difference in NMTB #40 taper, Cat-40 and BT-40?

Hi Superman thanks for the reply. This is a CNC machine, it had a tool changer on it but was removed by a previous owner. This is the toolholder that was in the machine. I am trying to find out what I need to buy so I can get busy using this machine.

This is a link to Iscar Toolholhers to look at, this is for reference only, you will be able to buy cheaper ( sorry, it is a metric e-catalogue )( you may find inperial with a "kennametal tool holder" search )

First, compare your tooling to this link, it has drawings of different tapers etc so that you know what to buy

You may have a #30 taper, but it is marked as a "40" endmill side lock for a 3/8" shank tool

Steve

Thanks Steve that drawing helped a lot it measures out very close to the 40 NMTB.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Turner View Post
    Hi Clancy64 thanks for the reply, can you tell me what is the difference in NMTB #40 taper, Cat-40 and BT-40?
    @ michael
    as I know, this is NT 40 side lock,
    the diferent is the tapper degre ,
    u can find from google, the tool suplier , like
    NIKEN ,BIG DAISOWA ,MITSUBISHI ,etc from japan ,AW from taiwan.

Quote Originally Posted by asen59 View Post
    @ michael
    as I know, this is NT 40 side lock,
    the diferent is the tapper degre ,
    u can find from google, the tool suplier , like
    NIKEN ,BIG DAISOWA ,MITSUBISHI ,etc from japan ,AW from taiwan.
    asen,
    I think you are incorrect, all tapers are 7" in 24", the gauge diameter dictates the taper #

Go back to my last post and link to the "drawings of different tapers"

Smile 40 taper is 40 taper

You can use any 40 taper tool holder in the spindle. the difference is the length of the drawbar and its thread. your best option would be CAT V flange because it is the most popular in the USA. it has a 5/8" -11 thread and does not have the small neck at the top. if the drawbar you have now works and is of good length, buy cat 40 holder and lay side by side. measure the difference in length and machine a new drawbar to fit, if you have CNC lathe make about 5 or 6 and keep for spares, the threads will wear out in time. used to run mill similar to yours with out tool changer. the shop had a quick change tool holder that stayed in the spindle and with a 1/4 turn the adapter could be changed out quickly by hand to use different drills and cutters, the stick out was about 2" longer than normal end mill holder but was still fairly ridgid. I hope this helps you get your machine going and covers your floor with chips and coolant!!!!!
    Good Luck
    The Farmer

It's a ISO 40 holder it needs a shorter drawbar than BAT40

There is little reason to make a new drawbar and start using CAT40 holders where NMTB 40 holders belong. In fact, the reason to stick with NMTB holders is that there's millions of them out there for cheap money! That machine doesn't need (and can't use) the main features of CAT40, which is the V-flange for a tool changer and (often) better balance for high speed operation.

Why buy brand new holders when you can get mint condition older ones for "pennies on the dollar"? A friend of mine in Vermont has a number of them for sale. Look up Springfield Tool Supply of North Springfield VT. He's got an Ebay store, but that's only about 5% of his inventory.

Din 2080 (ISO 40)

What you have is a standard din2080 sidelock with imperial tapping (also called ISO 40). So please ignore cat & BT or din 69871 as these are for use with CNC machine fitted tool-changers on cnc machine.
    As you have a manual drawbar, you could consider changing the draw-bar to 16mm if you cannot obtain these sidlock toolholder with imp/tapping.