585,567 active members*
3,424 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Small Part Repeat work

Direct questions & quote to [email protected]

Please quote (100) pieces, (will take overruns to use full bar of stock).

Please include seperate shipping quote to ZIP 25164.

Bid will close 10/30/2009

Material: Use any cold rolled mild steel 1018, 1045 etc.

Please quote lead time
    Attached Files Attached Files
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

OD and shoulder tolerance? e mail e with the details at [email protected]

Can i get od turn and od tolerence please, and can you take a about 50 on over run i dont have any material, i would like to make it out of 1045 for better finsh. What ever you want just tell me. thanks johnathon

Quote sent via email
    Thanks for the opportunity

Matthew
    Southern Precision Inc. www.southernprecision.com [email protected]

Please post these answers to the group so all can see!

Grade for 1.375-12 threads?
    Chamfer for 1.375 dia (threads)? (is that really a chamfer in the drawing or just a representation of the threads?)
    tolerance for 1.5000 dia? Can it be stock diameter and finish?
    tolerance for 1.7000 (overall length)? Is it cumulative on the 0.740 and 0.960 dims?

Thanks,
    Gary

Looked at the drawing the over all lenght is -+.02 on 1.70 in. long, i think, if i'm looking at the drawing right.

Tolerance callouts are important

Actually as a practical measure, it is indeterminate.

There is no standard tolerance stated on the drawing for 4 decimal place dims. The most common tolerances are +-0.005 on dims with 3 decimal places and +-0.001 on dims with 4 decimal places. But the real standard is that the tolerances are to be stated on the drawing. To be honest it looks to me like whoever drew this drawing had the Dims set to 4 decimal places and didn't think beyond that.

In that absence of other stated tolerances, cumulative dimensions have the cumulative tolerances of the sections making up the cumulative dimension.

In the case of this drawing, the 0.740 dim could go from 0.720 to 0.760. The 0.960 dim could go from 0.940 to 0.980. Thus with no call out on the tolerance of the 1.7000 dim it could go from 1.640 (0.720 + 0.940) to 1.740 (0.760 + 0.980).

If a quote were submitted with the drawing as is, the part could be from 1.640 to 1.740 and still be within tolerance.

Point is, if you are going to submit a drawing for quotes, be sure EVERY tolerance is noted. Otherwise you may end up with parts that are "legal" within your drawing, but unusable to you. And if the machinist has produced the parts within anything close to accepted industry standards per the drawing, you may be liable to buy the parts.

And stating all specs will get you the most accurate quote. As example, for this part if the 1.5000 dia can be stock dia and finish for 1.500 dia stock, the quote is going to be a lot less than if the machinist quotes based upon tuning down oversize stock to meet some un-needed tolerance and/or finish.

Regards,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by jr2840 View Post
    Looked at the drawing the over all lenght is -+.02 on 1.70 in. long, i think, if i'm looking at the drawing right.

Quote for part mm-5035

Quote Originally Posted by millman52 View Post
    Direct questions & quote to [email protected]

Please include seperate shipping quote to ZIP 25164.

Bid will close 10/30/2009

Material: Use any cold rolled mild steel 1018, 1045 etc.

Please quote lead time
    100 pieces mm-5035 $4.60ea lead time 10 working days.
    Frieght to 25164 for 100 pieces $48.00 would ship in 2 35# boxes
    Thanks for the opportunity.
    Jim Calhoon
    Support Products Inc.
    307 Professional Park Ave.
    Effingham, IL 62401

Quote Originally Posted by calhoon View Post
    100 pieces mm-5035 $4.60ea lead time 10 working days.
    Frieght to 25164 for 100 pieces $48.00 would ship in 2 35# boxes
    Thanks for the opportunity.
    Jim Calhoon
    Support Products Inc.
    307 Professional Park Ave.
    Effingham, IL 62401
    Could everyone STOP posting bid prices. It creates a reverse auction and guarantees you won't win, you are hurting yourself and everyone else. As an example I bid slightly higher than you if I was into this reverse auction process I would lop 25 cents off and rebid. I won't do that, but the next guy is going to come in at $4.50 or lower, hopefully he will bid privately.

Not quoting, just learning the jargon..

does the mention of overruns above mean the buyer will accept delivery of more than the requested 100 units if the process used to make the parts makes a higher number from a standard length of material?
    If not, what does it mean?

Des

Quote Originally Posted by desbromilow View Post

Not quoting, just learning the jargon..

does the mention of overruns above mean the buyer will accept delivery of more than the requested 100 units if the process used to make the parts makes a higher number from a standard length of material?
    If not, what does it mean?

Des
    Basically the buyer will accept the maximum amount of parts that can be make out of a full bar of stock, if it significantly reduces price. Raw material is much cheaper in full bar lengths in these parts. This type steel is commonly sold in 20 foot lengths, so the the average yield from a full bar would be around 130 parts.

Quote Originally Posted by netboss View Post
    Actually as a practical measure, it is indeterminate.

There is no standard tolerance stated on the drawing for 4 decimal place dims. The most common tolerances are +-0.005 on dims with 3 decimal places and +-0.001 on dims with 4 decimal places. But the real standard is that the tolerances are to be stated on the drawing. To be honest it looks to me like whoever drew this drawing had the Dims set to 4 decimal places and didn't think beyond that.

In that absence of other stated tolerances, cumulative dimensions have the cumulative tolerances of the sections making up the cumulative dimension.

In the case of this drawing, the 0.740 dim could go from 0.720 to 0.760. The 0.960 dim could go from 0.940 to 0.980. Thus with no call out on the tolerance of the 1.7000 dim it could go from 1.640 (0.720 + 0.940) to 1.740 (0.760 + 0.980).

If a quote were submitted with the drawing as is, the part could be from 1.640 to 1.740 and still be within tolerance.

Point is, if you are going to submit a drawing for quotes, be sure EVERY tolerance is noted. Otherwise you may end up with parts that are "legal" within your drawing, but unusable to you. And if the machinist has produced the parts within anything close to accepted industry standards per the drawing, you may be liable to buy the parts.

And stating all specs will get you the most accurate quote. As example, for this part if the 1.5000 dia can be stock dia and finish for 1.500 dia stock, the quote is going to be a lot less than if the machinist quotes based upon tuning down oversize stock to meet some un-needed tolerance and/or finish.

Regards,
    Gary
    The 1.5 major od will be within tolerance if cold rolled stock material is used.

The OAL length of 1.7" does have a large tolerance based on the +/-.020 allowed on the split. For clarification hold the OAL to .010

The threads need be standard 75% bolt thread & can go to sholder or be relieved the length of 1 1/2 threads

I have included .JPG image of a revised drawing.

I apologise for the confusion. I'll try to be more precise in the future.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MM-5035.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    Basically the buyer will accept the maximum amount of parts that can be make out of a full bar of stock, if it significantly reduces price. Raw material is much cheaper in full bar lengths in these parts. This type steel is commonly sold in 20 foot lengths, so the the average yield from a full bar would be around 130 parts.
    That is correct Dualkit or at least is my intention for allowing overruns. I use 1 1/2" stock for many different parts. so holding to exactly 100 isn't a problem because I can use left over stock on the next job.

Also when sitting up for a job I always allow a few parts extra in case of scrapping a part(s) during the run.

100 pcs mm5035 4.00 each
    shipping cost 80.
    lead time 10 days
    thanks for the opportunity
    sergio lorenzo 1516 983 8321

Bidding is closed & award will be made soon.

Quote Originally Posted by sergiolorenzo View Post
    100 pcs mm5035 4.00 each
    shipping cost 80.
    lead time 10 days
    thanks for the opportunity
    sergio lorenzo 1516 983 8321

just proving dualkit is right!! Let's keep a level of professionalism and quotes to PM, email, etc.

First I want to thank everyone for their bid & time involved it took to submit.

There were 48 bids submitted for this part, ranging from $2.20 to $16.28. About 1/2 fell in the $3.00 - $5.00 range freight included. Several more fell in the same range but freight quotes from $50.00-$100.00. When USPS will ship 70# in a flat rate box including insurance anywhere in the US for under $15.00

Some of you may be interested to know that most out of country bids were in the 4-5 $ range & freight then of course was a killer.

Bid was awarded in the $4.00 area.

If I missed answering anyones question(s) that specifically sent them to the email address listed in my very first post I apologize. I had a death in the family which demanded I be out of town for a few days during the bidding process. Again If I missed answering questions, I AM SORRY. I'll admit I was flooded with email & it did get a bit overwhelming under the circumstances.

Posting items for bid is a new experience for me so I am also in a learning curve here. I have a much better grasp of what is needed from me in my very first post & on the print(s). I didn't even think of getting foreign bids. Future requests will be limited to US & Canada

On the posting of pricing to open forum. While it may be good for me to get the best price on a single part. I agree with some others they should probably be kept private.

My definition of bargain begins with quality, service then by price.

I want bids that the bidder can live with down the road adjusting only for raw material prices. As the title to my first post stated "repeat work". It does me no good to have to go through this process every time I need a batch of parts.

thanks for the information and glad you found someone here for your needs. On the shipping, you are right about USPS, but I don't have many customers that want to use them, so we usually quote UPS or FedEx. I've had my share of "lost" items with priority mail, especially when bulk items approach 70#, but if the customer wants it, they get it.

I haven't had a single "lost package" I've had 1 shipped in that the carton wasn't adequate & some loss. I have shipped 1 out that had damage & they paid the claim with proper documentation. In the past 3 years I have used them.

With USPS there is no included insurance You have to buy it & they will only cover $500.00 per package I think it is.

I'd think common sense would dictate not to ship 70# of small loose parts in a single layer flat rate box. You'd be asking for trouble. With an extra layer of cardboard & some care in packing using 2 boxes there would be little chance of loosing a package & or it's contents.

I certainly wouldn't put an entire order of these parts even if they would fit into 1 box. But I have had very good luck with USPS Priority & they are way faster cross country than FEX or UPS