585,667 active members*
4,102 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > Hobby Discussion > Custome made oversized .12 rc car engine heat sink for LMH helicopter use

Custome made oversized .12 rc car engine heat sink for LMH helicopter use

Hi All,

here is the story. many radio controlled lite machines helicopter (1/2A heli) fans like myself have been trying hard to find a good replacement engine for the what seems to be the world's most durable rc helicopter.

however, the overheat of rc car engines in the helicopter is always somehting we cannot avoid. at the moment, i have a .12 rc car engine (Force .12) installed, it will run well to power the heli but will start to loose power after some time. it is undoubtedly due to the insufficient cooling of the engine body. so i am asking if anyone here could help me with a custome made oversized engine heat sink.

Could be a whole oversized heat sink or some extra fin body designed to 'clamp' on the exisiting one.

Help please!!

any input or advice will be much appreciated. I am based in UK. anyone nearby with the capability to produce such an unit?

Cheers

Lawrence

This is a simple matter for someone with a lathe, doesn't even have to be a CNC lathe. What is the diameter of the stock heatsink?

According to my eyeball guesstimates using the photo I found of this engine, there looks to be room only for an increase in diameter of maybe .250"? I don't know the overall size of the engine, so it is difficult to get an accurate scale. It appears that the main conflict in over-sizing the heatsink is the fuel inlet?

This could be circumvented by milling a concave nacelle at an angle (to create a pocket allowing for some shrouding of the fuel line {guarding the fuel line with a thin heatshield would be advised}) for an even larger heatsink.

Quote Originally Posted by lawrencelkl View Post
    Hi All,

here is the story. many radio controlled lite machines helicopter (1/2A heli) fans like myself have been trying hard to find a good replacement engine for the what seems to be the world's most durable rc helicopter.

however, the overheat of rc car engines in the helicopter is always somehting we cannot avoid. at the moment, i have a .12 rc car engine (Force .12) installed, it will run well to power the heli but will start to loose power after some time. it is undoubtedly due to the insufficient cooling of the engine body. so i am asking if anyone here could help me with a custome made oversized engine heat sink.

Could be a whole oversized heat sink or some extra fin body designed to 'clamp' on the exisiting one.

Help please!!

any input or advice will be much appreciated. I am based in UK. anyone nearby with the capability to produce such an unit?

Cheers

Lawrence

Hi 307 startup,

Thanks for your reply and advice. The current heatsink is 1.5" diameter and you are right, the main restiction is the location of the carburetor which allows about 0.25" increase in diameter.

another options in my mind is to get an 'clamp on ' additional piece which says 0.5" height hence its size will not be restricted by the carburetor. i found a similar photo on the net, credit to Chris (www.themanfrommoon.de) from germany.

good news is that a normal lathe can do but bad news is i dont even have a normal lathe. is there anyone can help me out here?

thanks.

lawrence

This is the photo I saw from Chris's website.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 01_00000001.jpg