585,762 active members*
4,073 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

5th Brisbane CNC User Group Meeting - 7th Nov 2009

Hi All,

Details for the next bi-monthly Brisbane CNC User Group meeting is as follows;

Date: Saturday 7th November 2009
    Time: 10am till ~3pm
    Where: Algester - Chris H's place
    What to Bring: A machine, parts, work pieces or something else of interest. Food to cook on the BBQ, drinks & foldup chairs

Chris has kindly offered to supply salad, rolls a fridge for drinks & meat and his son has volunteered to cook but he probably doesn't know it yet!

Parking will be on street and a the Calamvale bus service number 130 stops 1 minute from Chris's front door. Bus Stop 5863 (Ridgewood Heights) on Ridgewood Road.

Chris's shed at the back is where his machines are but people can set up in his double garage and carport (All undercover). There are plenty of power points available.

RSVP by posting a reply to this post and let me know if you are bringing a machine so I can allocate space and power for it.

As I won't be posting Chris's address on a public forum, please email me on karmann68 at gmail dot com for details once you have posted a reply to this thread.

Unfortunately I might not be able to make it myself, so I'm a maybe at this stage.

ALL ARE WELCOME.

Cheers,

Claudio

RSVP's
    Confirmed: 3
    Maybe: 1

CNC Machines
    Confirmed: 1
    Maybe: 0

Name - user ID - status
    1. Chris - Chrisjh - Confirmed
    2. Claudio - ClaudioG - Maybe
    3. Darryl - dgreensill - Confirmed
    4. Mark - ToolMach_Aust - Confirmed

(always check my last post for latest RSVP list as the system won't let me keep editing this initial post)
    - WidgitMaster Wide Router with Kress FME 800, HobbyCNC 305oz Stepper Kit
    - WidgitMaster Midi Router with Dremel

I'll be there!

Darryl.

I will be there

Mark

Count me in.

regards
    Andrew Burchill.

Smile CNC Mill and Chromate Conversion Demo

Hi,

For a demo on the day, I have blanked out 3 x 60mm square aluminium plates ready for cnc machining. These will turn into Nema 23 Stepper Motor Mount Plates if all goes well.

I will show those interested a demo of chromate conversion for the aluminium parts. Chromate conversion is used extensively in the treatment of aircraft parts and gives some corrosion resistance to the surface of aluminium. I use it all the time as the process is simple and the results look good, provided you follow some simple rules.

The finished product will be up for grabs on the day for anyone who wants for their machine in progress.

I also have in the garage an EMCO P1 cnc mill that is a work in progress. I am replacing the old 1984 steppers with modern steppers and stepper drivers. The old one line display and cnc control will also be replaced with Mach3 on a suitable computer. The parts are on their way from the USA, way to go Aussie dollar!!!

Regards

Chrisjh

I will be there

Greg Burns

I'm about to embark on a RF45 clone CNC conversion. I wouldn't mind coming along to pick up some tips. I will know If I can make it as the date gets closer. Thanks.

I'll be there

Cheers
    Graham Day

RSVP's
    Confirmed: 6
    Maybe: 2

CNC Machines
    Confirmed: 2

Name - user ID - status
    2. Claudio - ClaudioG - Maybe
    5. Andrew B - dustooff - Confirmed
    6. Greg - Gregory B - Confirmed
    7. Ellis76 - Ellis76 - Maybe
    8. Graham - gpday - Confirmed

(always check my last post for latest RSVP list as the system won't let me keep editing this initial post)

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisjh View Post
    Hi,

For a demo on the day, I have blanked out 3 x 60mm square aluminium plates ready for cnc machining. These will turn into Nema 23 Stepper Motor Mount Plates if all goes well.

I will show those interested a demo of chromate conversion for the aluminium parts. Chromate conversion is used extensively in the treatment of aircraft parts and gives some corrosion resistance to the surface of aluminium. I use it all the time as the process is simple and the results look good, provided you follow some simple rules.

The finished product will be up for grabs on the day for anyone who wants for their machine in progress.

I also have in the garage an EMCO P1 cnc mill that is a work in progress. I am replacing the old 1984 steppers with modern steppers and stepper drivers. The old one line display and cnc control will also be replaced with Mach3 on a suitable computer. The parts are on their way from the USA, way to go Aussie dollar!!!

Regards

Chrisjh
    Sounds like it will be a very interesting demo Chris. And judging by your efforts on the lathe, the end result will be 1st class.

Cheers,

Claudio

Sorry I can't make this one guys. Definately looking forward to the next one though.

Cheers

Ash

Yes I'll be there

Brian

I am definately coming along now.

Ash has very generously put together a website for us and I will be demo'ing this on the day and handing out some documentation.

By the way, I've received a few emails requesting Chris's address details and I will send these out all at once on Friday.

What to Bring: A machine, parts, work pieces or something else of interest. Food to cook on the BBQ, drinks & foldup chairs

Chris has kindly offered to supply salad, rolls a fridge for drinks & meat and his son has volunteered to cook but he probably doesn't know it yet!

Parking will be on street and a the Calamvale bus service number 130 stops 1 minute from Chris's front door. Bus Stop 5863 (Ridgewood Heights) on Ridgewood Road.

Chris's shed at the back is where his machines are but people can set up in his double garage and carport (All undercover). There are plenty of power points available.

RSVP by posting a reply to this post and let me know if you are bringing a machine so I can allocate space and power for it.

As I won't be posting Chris's address on a public forum, please email me on karmann68 at gmail dot com for details once you have posted a reply to this thread.

ALL ARE WELCOME.

RSVP's

Confirmed: 8
    Maybe: 1

CNC Machines

Name - user ID - status
    2. Claudio - ClaudioG - Confirmed
    6. Greg - Gregory B - Confirmed
    9. Ash - Ashley Cob - Cannot attend
    9. Brian - electrolight - Confirmed

Sorry, I will not be able to make it now.
    Greg Burns

I will be driving from Burpengary if anyone needs a lift to Chris's place for this saturday. I would like to bring a machine but they are a bit heavy for me to get one on board. Once I get some more stock in we can have a meeting up here and guys can play with some demo machines

Regards

Mark Kyle

HI Folks,
    I'd like to come- weather & work permitting. I won't know till later on Fri night.
    Our router is too big to transport, and is finally going again after an amazing series of gremlins all giving false signals as to where the source of the problems was.
    It's about a 3 hour trip from here down to Algester, and I may have to go to Oxenford to measure up a shop- just waiting on that confirmation, and if so, I'll kill two birds with the one trip.

Hi Guys,

See you all at Chris's place. If you need to contact me, my number is 0411 673 265.

ALL ARE WELCOME.

RSVP's

Confirmed: 7
    Maybe: 2

CNC Machines

Name - user ID - status
    2. Claudio - ClaudioG - Confirmed
    6. Greg - Gregory B - Cannot attend
    9. Ash - Ashley Cob - Cannot attend
    10. Brian - electrolight - Confirmed
    11. Ian - Stewey - Maybe

I'll be down, but closer to 1 pm or so...

(& keen to know about this aluminium coating side of things. I'll bring a couple of samples of aluminium I've etched, too.)

Sorry I missed some of you who left earlier, but it was good to meet Chris, Claudio, Mark & ?. (Just got home- 7.20 pm!)
    Thanks for the chromate plating demo too, Chris- there's great potential there!

A BIG thanks to Chris for putting on a great day and for the hospitality shown by him and his family.

Plenty of CNC gear being demo'ed by Chris (an Emco Mill he just finished converting to PC based, the lathe he built from scratch and an X3).

I learnt a lot and I was also impressed with the Chromate conversion process on your aluminium parts.

Good to meet some new faces too.

Next meeting is tentatively scheduled for Saturday 6th February 2010 and will be confirmed early January.

Cheers,

Claudio

Page 1 of 2 12