584,808 active members*
5,253 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

With TC-22 motherboard replacement

I am new to CNC zone as a member but have used the website for a long time to get good info! So my thanks goes out ahead of my question! My torq-cut 22 motherboard went bad (Keyboard interface) so I replaced it with a old working 486 dx2-66. Everything seamed to work fine but when the BMDC tries to load, it times out and the C:> prompt pops up. My guess is the ISA control card is not communicating with the BMDC and not allowing it to load. Since the Keyboard would not work with the old motherboard, I had no way to access the original bios to see how the IRQ's and the like were set. If anyone has any Ideas or has changed motherboards on these DX-32 controls please let me know. From what I have read any motherboard with enough ISA slots, up to pentium 133 is suppose to work? I have played in the bios with different configurations but I either get IRQ errors or on some settings no errors, dos loads, dx-32 starts, but the BMDC never loads. I'm stuck!

Question

Are you using the hard drive from the old machine?
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Cybermachineman,

I would take the time to test the keyboard fuse (pico fuse) on the original motherboard, its a five minute fix.

It looks like a small green 1/4 watt resistor, next to the keyboard connection on the motherboard.

I have attached a picture of what it looks like.

The fuses are readily available for less than a dollar.

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...&name=F2315-ND

Jeff...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails key.jpg  
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Yes ,I am using the same Hard drive. I will check out the fuse you talk about on the original motherboard. Thanks for the help. I will let you know what I find out.

Check your directory for B3t.exe which is a BMDC test. Run all tests 3 times, then [ress enter for a summary of results.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Machintek talked me through a motherboard replacement on my TC and I had no problems with it except my AUF board is bad.
    The MB swap was not a problem and the machine booted right up.
    Good luck with your TC.
    theres some great help on here and without those my machine would just be a pile of parts.

The fuse on my original motherboard is OK. About 6 months ago the Battery went bad on the motherboard. I replaced it with a external battery, but made the very stupid mistake of leaving the original battery on the motherboard. On close inspection the battery corroded the motherboard, which I'm sure gave me the keyboard interface error. Now we know what caused the original problem. (My own Stupidity). On Monday I will run Machitek's B3T.exe program and see what comes up.

Hi cybermachineman

When the count down fails,the BMDC board may be bad, if you have what is known as a chip board you can remove the memory chips & reseat them as well as swap the chips around the last to the first etc also clean the contacts on the BMDC board with a eraser, clean & reseat it in the mother board if this does not work the board is bad we have boards if you need one
    Mactec54

I am not ruling out a bad BMDC board, as problems tend to come in 2's and 3's, but this machine was running fine until the KB interface error popped up and there is visible damage from battery corrosion on the motherboard. The corroded battery is right beside the keyboard connection, so that all makes sense. I don't think that a BMDC problem would affect my keyboard interface. Plus, with the replacement motherboard on, the KB interface error has gone away. My hope is that by running the B3T tests we will get some more incite.

I ran the B3T.exe tests this morning that Machintek said I should run. I set the program to run 3 times. It looks to me like I have a Address problem? While running the test I got this message.

BMDC3 dual port memory failed AT side address test
    AT address 800
    Data should be 0800
    Data is A5A5

Test summery was as follows:

Register test Error log Iterations =3
    Lo address register errors=0
    Hi address register errors=0
    Both address register errors=0

Dual port memory test log
    AT side errors=3
    BMDC3 side errors=0
    BMDC3 read AT write =0

BMDC3 main memory log, Test iterations=3
    Read/write errors=0

UART test error log, test iterations=3
    UART teat=0

Analog test error log, test iterations=3
    Analog conversion errors=0

Load & run errors=3

Thanks Fred

Question

cybermachineman,

Have you tried assigning the memory address for the card in the bios?

Jeff...

I have not set any memory addresses in the bios. I looked all through the different bios pages and do not see where I could set any addresses for memory? IRQ's yes.

Question

Cybermachineman,

Please post a link to the motherboard manufacture, make, model and manual.

Jeff...

I would try a different mother board. The BMDC is not loading its necessary software. It gets it from the hard drive through the mother board.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I will look for a different motherboard. The one I am trying to use is a Zeos International, #100-0052-00, They are long out of business with no support site. I did find some info at About.com http://pcsupport.about.com/gi/o.htm?...s/zeosbbs.html. , but nothing specific to my board. If anyone has any suggestions on a board that is know to work, let me know. I read somewhere to stay at or below 133mhz? P100 to 133 boards are easy to find and cheaper than 486 boards.

Has anyone loaded windows 95 along side the dx-32 software? It would be nice to have USB support that comes with 95. I don't think there is any way to use USB with DOS? USB would make it easier to download big or multiple txt program.

Question

Cybermachineman,

I believe the reason why it is not working is because it need to run in a specific memory address location.

Is there a option to turn off shadowing in the motherboard bios?

Jeff...

Yes, as it is set now memory chach is enabled and memory shadow is enabled. I will disable shadowing and let you know what I get.

I got in the bios and System shadow is enabled, but does not allow me to disable, Video shadow and all memory regions are disabled. The only one that was enabled that I could change was the video shadow. I disabled video shadow and BMDC still does not load.

Cybermachineman,

Try enabling memory regions one at a time, then run test.

Jeff...

I went through and enabled each region in the memory shadow one at time and I got the same result each time. Dual port memory test, Failed AT side address test, 030 side of dual port ram is OK, 030/AT access of dual port ram is OK, BMDC3 memory data path is OK, BMDC3 memory address is OK, everything else says OK.

One thing I noticed in the bios is under (Standby Break events) only IRQ 1 is on auto, All other IRQ's are disabled. I turned all of them to auto, just to try, and I got error messages. Did not have time to play with the IRQ's very much. I will wait to see if anyone has some ideas before I play some more.

Hi cybermachineman

As George has said the BMDC Board reads /gets it information from the hard drive you just have to make sure the hard drive & A drive is working correct Just like a normal computer would
    Mactec54

Page 1 of 2 12