585,712 active members*
4,078 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unhappy Bridgeport EZ Trak emergency stop problem

I recently bought a 1993 Bridgeport EZ Trak SX 2 axis mill in very nice condition from a previous owner I know was having no problems with the machine. It was wired for 208VAC and I made the changes described in the manual (transformer taps and jumpers) to set it up for 220VAC operation. When I powered it up the first time everything seemed to work OK during a brief test run. Shortly after we set up a job and proceeded to make a light cut 16" along the X axis in some soft material. Halfway through the cut, the spindle shut down and the display showed the message "Emergency shutoff", despite the fact that the emergency shutoff button had not been touched. We restarted the program and experienced the same thing a second time. The manual is unclear as to what produces this spontaneous shutdown. One factor that I think might be related is that the actual voltage in my building tends to be high(250VAC) most of the time. Before I lean on the power company to try to get them to reduce the voltage or spend my own money to condition the voltage, I would like to have a better idea as to what the system is telling me when this shutdown occurs - Is this a response to the motor drawing higher current at the elevated voltage, is it telling me that the CNC control electronics (which are run by single phase 110VAC via the internal transformer) don't like the ~125VAC, or is it unrelated to the elevated voltage. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Possible Solution

Hello there... I recently experienced random E-Stops on a Bridgeport with E-Z Trak Plus system. It turned out to be the lubrication system. There is some type of pressure sensor or switch on the spindle that will shut the machine down in E-Stop if the lubrication oil level is low. Filling the lubrication unit solved the issue.

Give it a try and good luck.

If it runs out of oil it should stop at a tool change and not allow the spindle to re-start.
    Check the spindle motor overload. Is it running on a phase converter or true 3 phase power? I believe there are taps that go higher than 220VAC.
    Any time a machine is moved, check all the wires, plugs, boards for tightness.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)