585,877 active members*
3,968 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

machining steel on x3?

I believe it is HRS (hot roll steel) and CRS (cold roll steel) not that i know what these things are necessarily but i will need to machine these on my prospective x3 i plan on getting. it'll be some angles cut in 1/4 steel angle pieces and some drill holes strategically place for a piece of equipment it'll be building. Can anyone give me an idea of the type of endmills i will need to machine cut steel and the longevity they might offer? how many .25 inch drill holes might i get from one drill bit endmill? what type of endmill would be best to cut notches in 2.5" wide .25 inch thick steel angle. how much can you cut into steel until you have to change out endmills? thanks guys!

oh come on.. nobody? nothing? dag nabbit...

change out endmills? an x3 cant touch the full potential of a good average sized endmill. it is more or less how much can your machine handle. it depends on how you setup your machine.

When it comes to steel I like to use three and four flute fine pitch roughers and then change to a standard end mill for the finish cut. This way I've found it puts less stress on the machine whilst maximising material removal.

As SlowRiderr says, the chances of being able to cut at the manufacturers specified figures are few and far between with these machines. You don't want to baby the cutter, but it soon becomes apparent when you've exceeded the machines capabilities, hopefully without damaging anything.