585,970 active members*
4,153 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: begginer

begginer

i am new to this fourm currently learning pro-e man. dont know where to start

Get on Amazon, buy some books.

First, why did you choose Pro E? I am assuming you are new to CAD software? Each CAD software package is like speaking a different language. It is not overly helpful to learn a new language by reading a book about it. Using tutorials is the very best way to get familiar with CAD software, as it takes you step by step through the making of parts, assemblies and drawings.

I ask why you chose Pro E, simply because there are several high end software packages out there, such as AutoCAD and SolidWorks, to name a couple. Choosing one over the other, is like trying to find the perfect wife (or husband for the ladies). One will feel more 'right' for you, while others will not. They all do basically the same thing, but in different ways. I have AutoCAD 2008, Pro Engineer Wildfire 4.0 and SolidWorks 2009. Honestly, I still don't know which one I favor more. Although, I do tend to lean more towards Pro E and SolidWorks. Each person's mind thinks best in different environments. Each CAD program will offer you a different environment. Use the included tutorials that come with CAD programs, to get the feel for its environment and processes. Only then, will you get how it all works and start putting things together in your mind.

In my version of Pro E, Wildfire 4.0, the window starts out as a browser window. In the upper left, there is a box called 'resource center'. Click on 'intoduction tutorial'. This will open a page with several tutorials to help you get the feel of how things work in Pro E. A hands on approach will help you more than a book will in the beginning stages. After you get a feel for it, 'then' you should invest in a good book to have as a reference and for more in-depth exploration of the software.

AutoCAD, Pro E and SolidWorks are all good programs, as are several other CAD programs. But, not every CAD program is good for every person. Everyone thinks and solves problems in their own way. Different CAD programs, although they do basically the same thing, will do things in different ways. Finding a good match between software and user, is not always easy. Using the tutorials first, will help you a great deal in not only understanding the software, but in helping you to decide if one program's methods are good for you and the way 'you' think and solve problems.

Don't skip through the tutorials. Take them step by step, no matter how simple one may appear. The idea is to get a 'feel' for how the software works. No CAD software worth using, is easy to get started with. Don't expect to jump right in and start producing drawings or models. It really is like visiting a new country, getting to know the language and the people. It will take time. Expect that. I started with AutoCAD R13 and went all the way up to 2008. I then started to investigate SolidWorks and Pro E. Vastly different! I am still up in the air, regarding which I like better.

I have been using Pro extensibly for more than ten years. I have used AutoCAD a little, I don't know Solid Works or Master Cam but know people that do. They tend to use other software because they are more accustomed to it. The good news is Wildfire 4.0 is more user friendly in the manufacturing side. Pro M went through several editions that were not so easy to use or understand. I use the Coach software anytime I have a problem or, their help files. But, I have had many week long seminars of professional training at the Pro training facilities that have been indespensible. They usually cost about $2500 plus your expenses, thank goodness my company paid my way.
    ProM Wildfire 4.0 will do anything you need it to do.
    Good luck, Terrence

Autocad, high end?? you are kidding right

Autocad is not even in the same universe as Pro-e is. My advice is if you are not required to learn pro-e for a job forget it. Pro-e is not something you learn and are done it requires constant training to keep up with it, Pro-e is a high end software more on the same level as CATIA or Unigraphics, Autocad should not even be mentioned in the same conversation. If it is just that you want to learn solid modeling then I recomend Keycreator it is very easy to learn and it is way easier to use than some of those high end parametric modelers. Even Solidworks or Solid edge which I do not really care for would be a better choice than Pro-e unless of course you are required to learn that for work. You are also probably looking at 3 times the cost of the program and 2 or 3 times the cost for the AUC which with Pro-e you almost are forced to keep up to date. Thorn3 is correct though each program has its specific niche it depends on what kind of work you plan to do , what kind of files you may or may not need to translate or work with, how much money you want to spend and how powerful your computer system is. Today's CAD programs range from free to many tens of thousands of dollars and everything in between and the capabilities of those CAD programs vary just as much at the price range. Most CAD companies will let you download demo versions which will allow you to play with them for a while. Kubotek which makes Keycreator will let you download a 30 day version. Don't get sucked in by who says what is the most popular or what is better try them for yourself it is the only way you will know if it is the right program for your needs. Go to this URL http://www.kubotekusa.com/products.html to download a 30 day working version of Keycreator I think you will like it.

I agree with everything that’s been said above about ProE. However, when I finally started to get the Zen of the package I really enjoyed working with it. It was the first time I realized that there were other people out there whose brains worked just like mine. I’m a bit rusty right now having moved into other areas of work but I still use it for personal projects and a bit for work.

Don't get me wrong

Pro-E is one of the best out there but it is far more complex than the average CAD user will ever need. If you are working in the aerospace industry it is almost a requirement if you are making wooden horses to sell on the internet Pro-E is way overkill, like I said each package has it's place. I get into some pretty complex design work ,things like gages for turbine blades and Pro-E is overkill for me, it would do the job but the extra complexity involved would make the job take longer than the CAD program I use now. Pro-E is a history based parametric modeler which requires extra input to allow changes down the road, Keycreator does not require that extra input yet allows almost unlimited changes with a few functions such as box move , offset face and dimension driven editing. In other words I create my model however I want to with no regards to any specific order and if I want to change something later there are a few simple commands that allow me to do that. Parametrics were great when they first came out for making changes, they are an out of date and complex way to do things now compared to some of the new modelers. That is why to chose a CAD program that fits your needs you have to try them for yourself, don't listen to hype don't listen to the guy that says Solidworks is best because everyone uses it you have to decide on your own. I have either used myself or talked to someone that has used almost every CAD program out there, some are great some suck in the end I made my decision based on users I talked to demo's I tried myself and now have been using the same program for almost 10 years it is perfect for my line of work it was easy to learn and it is easy to use plus it does not cost $10,000 like you might pay for a seat of Unigraphics or Catia

Quote Originally Posted by bmac09 View Post
    i am new to this fourm currently learning pro-e man. dont know where to start
    I have been in the trade as a patternmaker for 12 years. I was running gibbs and since my recent layoff i knew i needed to step it up a bit and I am currently enrolled at the local community college to get my pro e certificate. I bought the student edition because i knew I would have to put in a lot of time to get to learn pro e. I took autocad for my associates in cnc machining and to be honest I think pro e is a lot easier to work with. regaurdless, which ever program you pick up you need to practice practice practice! getting the student version to work from your home computer is a huge help.you could also pick up the same book im using on line as well to give you some insight on how to make designs. the book is a little hard to work with, which is why my instructor gets me through any hurdles i may come face to face with.
    http://www.journeyed.com/item/273945/Wildfire/86454903

the help books can be found on this site.
    cadcim.com
    you also have the option to download some tutorials just to get you by too.

hope this helps.

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions, you have confirmed that Pro-e can be overkill unfortunately i still need to learn for work. I am familiar with other cad apps but this is my first parametric system which i find to have to much paramater diolouge and unnecessary tool path choices never the less i must plug away been at it now for about 6 solid months and am able to create "G" code programs but not with out edditing. Im not being trained by the knowledgable ones their to busy so Iam on my own TRIAL & ERROR hopefuly not much error. You all have been very helpful.

Thanks I will be back to gleen some great knowledge

You can find a good amount of tutorials just by searching the net.

Leo Greene's site has some more advanced tutorials, but his explanations are really good. http://www.e-cognition.net/pages/Tutorials.html

Other then that, the mcad central forums are great. http://www.mcadcentral.com/proe/