585,981 active members*
4,288 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > How to assign 5th & 6th Axis to Slave when Pin 2-9 already used in 4 Axis for Mach3

Hybrid View

How to assign 5th & 6th Axis to Slave when Pin 2-9 already used in 4 Axis for Mach3

Im planning to attach 5th & 6th Stepper Motors for assigning B & C Axis to slave but Pin 2-9 in printer port is already used for my 4 axis stepper motors. What other Pin number in printer port should I assign my 5th & 6th stepper motors to Slave B & C Axis using Mach3? I dont use BOB as all my setup is connected directly to printer port pins.

a second printer port...

guy2b1,

jpgdesigns is right, add a second printer port to the machine. That will give you the additional axis' to work with.

steve

How about the pin assignments if I add the second printer port, is it the same as the original first printer port or in any pin assignments from 1 to 25 I can connect my stepper motors for my 5th & 6th axis, homing limit switches, estop, spindle, etc.? Are there any limitations if I add more say homing, limit switches, relay to automatically turn on/off my spindle? Im not using a BOB as all my setup is connecting directly to pins of printer port

bump

See the mach3 manual sections 4 and 5. The second will be the same as the first as far as pin assignment is concerned. Each port will have 12 output pins and 5 input pins, unless you configure Mach3 so that the second port will use pins 2-9 as inputs. The determination of which pin does what is up to you in the configuration of Mach3.

I'm not using a BOB either. I am just very careful with my connections and keep the wires short between the computer and controller cards.

As for the spindle relay, you will need either a Solid State Relay (SSR) that will work with the parallel port directly, or some type of circuit to drive the coil of a magnetic relay. I use SSR's for spindle and dust collector.

Here is a link to the installation and configuration of Mach3
    http://www.machsupport.com/docs/Mach...all_Config.pdf

You have very good English. Is English a second language for you?

Steve